General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is it worth it to carry a tire change kit for shorter races? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-04-12 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4698147

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Is it worth it to carry a tire change kit for shorter races?
rdailey1 - 2013-04-12 2:41 PM

This has been an excellent discussion and seems fairly clear in the responses. Thank you to everyone! While I may be close to AG placing in smaller, less competitive races, I won't be going for any big wins any time soon.

Now for confession time: In my very first tri in 2011 (a sprint), i didn't have a change kit because I didn't think I'd need one. Sure enough, I flatted with about 2 miles to go. No sign of a sag wagon. I ran it in, pushing/lifting the bike as described above. I had road shoes with decent soles, but developed horrible blisters that opened, then began bleeding. Also, because of favoring the bad foot, I caused my IT band to flare up on the opposite leg. Then I had to suffer through the run, but I finishedSmile The more I think about that race...I don't know why I asked the question. Hopefully this helped someone else.

I guess I'll just lose 2 lbs, tape it tight against the seat, and stop worrying about it.

It's triathlon... any weight penalty is so minimal as to be negligible - especially in shorter races.

2013-04-12 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4697595

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

Here is a pic of everything under the seat:

Here is a pic from the side.  It's basically invisible.

I stuffed two tubes, two CO2s, a lever, and an inflator up there.
2013-04-12 5:45 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It all depends what's important to you. If finishing the race is important, then yes, you need a repair kit (tube, levers and Co2 should be enough). Personally, I don't race with anything. Here's my thinking.... I'm a really slow swimmer (usually calling myself a non-drowning duathlete), so I'm way behind once out of the water (think slowest swim in AG and usually one of the slowest of the day). I used to race bikes as a kid, and I'm saying I'm fast, but I usually work my way thorough the field and I'm not a bad runner, so again, I'm picking my way up the field. In most races, that places me in the top 10 and in some races and good days, that places me on the podium. If I had a flat, I would lose so much time that I would be behind again, and that's not worth it to ME.
2013-04-12 9:36 PM
in reply to: #4697642

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

gsmacleod - 2013-04-12 9:01 AM If one takes care in how they carry their flat kit, there should be essentially zero aero penalty. Therefore, there is no good reason not to carry a flat kit whether you are shooting for the overall win or not. Even if you are racing for first and drop out if you have flat, being able to fix the flat and ride back to transition is worth having the kit IMO. Shane

This exactly!  Walking even a mile in bike shoes is painful. 

2013-04-12 9:38 PM
in reply to: #4698147

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
rdailey1 - 2013-04-12 1:41 PM

This has been an excellent discussion and seems fairly clear in the responses. Thank you to everyone! While I may be close to AG placing in smaller, less competitive races, I won't be going for any big wins any time soon.

Now for confession time: In my very first tri in 2011 (a sprint), i didn't have a change kit because I didn't think I'd need one. Sure enough, I flatted with about 2 miles to go. No sign of a sag wagon. I ran it in, pushing/lifting the bike as described above. I had road shoes with decent soles, but developed horrible blisters that opened, then began bleeding. Also, because of favoring the bad foot, I caused my IT band to flare up on the opposite leg. Then I had to suffer through the run, but I finishedSmile The more I think about that race...I don't know why I asked the question. Hopefully this helped someone else.

I guess I'll just lose 2 lbs, tape it tight against the seat, and stop worrying about it.

And, I betcha your flat repair stuff doesn't weight 2 lbs.  A good morning poo ought to take care of it

2013-04-13 7:24 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

The penalty for carrying a flat kit: practically nothing.

The penalty for flatting miles from transition with no way to fix it: a long wait for a ride back.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

At nearly all of the sprints around here, the lone support vehicle on the course is the sweeper, the guy in the truck who follows the last cyclist. If you flat, you not only have to wait for the last cyclist to catch you, you then have to ride behind that last cyclist for the rest of the bike course. With a flat kit you could finish your race, or alternatively be eating the post-race food a lot sooner.

Personally, I have a small under-seat flat kit on my bike when training. No way am i going to remove it for a race to put myself in a worse situation. And not that it really matters (though some seem to think it does), but most of the time when I'm racing I am competing for AG podium.

Edited by the bear 2013-04-13 7:33 AM

2013-04-13 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune

Tricky!

No. Yes. Maybe. Depends... What do you mean by worth it? 

It's worth it if you get a flat. It's not if you don't. 

Maybe you should ask yourself, why do you race? what is your objective? 

IMHO on longer distances, the distance is the challenge and completing is a win. A flat may cost 4min, but over 10-12hs or more of an IM that's really insignificant.

On shorter races, completing is pretty much guaranteed, I race to get a good time and a 4 min. loss is on a sprint is significant. DNF or a really bad time becomes the same disappointment, the race was ruined the time of the flat.

But, if by worth it you refer to it's nice not to have to walk back in case of a flat, then yes. 

BR

2013-04-13 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Again, great discussion, and great tips from everyone! I think I'll go with a tire kit and morning poo...
2013-04-13 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4697615

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
1_Mad_Madone - 2013-04-12 8:52 AM

Yes, unless you wont mind walking back after a flat....

Time is only what you measure your success by; DNF defines your failure...

Personally, I wouldn't define ANYONE by a DNF.  I've known several BT'ers and a couple local triathletes who have DNF'd races and they have my utmost respect. 

To the OP, the weight/aero "penalty" is probably very small to carry the equipment.  If you don't have it, you can't fix it and you're either walking or waiting for race support.  Either gives you a lot of opportunity to second-guess the weight savings...If you have it, you can decide whether to fix it or not.  One of our local triathletes flatted while setting up in transition before a HIM.  She scrambled, but wasn't able to fix it right away and ended up starting her race two waves "late."  When she got to T1, she went back to her car and got her training wheel, walked back, and put it on the bike for a 45-minute T1 (or something similar).  While it was one of her slowest races ever, she finished, and her success was defined more by her perseverance than her elapsed time. 

2013-04-14 9:22 AM

User image

Of course and when you flat then its time to play catch up :D
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is it worth it to carry a tire change kit for shorter races? Rss Feed  

of 2