United States
36F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 38s
Overall Rank = 16/485
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/47
Pre-race routine:

Nothing major. Woke up at 6:00. Make sure I had everything (gear, layers, etc.). UCAN at about 6:20. Bruce picked me up at 6:30, and we drove over to the race site.
Event warmup:

Easy bike ride around the course a few times with a few accelerations.
Run
  • 21m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile felt really easy. Comfortable right around 7:30, and was just running along with the group around me. I was still breathing pretty easy through mile 2 but it took a little more mental effort to keep the pace steady and not drift off. Mile 3 was tough. The runners had thinned out and there were bigger gaps to each next runner so I started doubting whether I would be able to get to the next person. I tried to just run through the next stop sign, next turn, etc. Was feeling pretty tapped out when I saw my awesome coach and Dr. Bruce, whose encouragement helped me find those last reserves to finish strong and pick off that last guy in front of me (couldn't catch the little kid though).

Final observation: nothing hurts (other than calves being a little tight). I didn't realize until we were standing around after the race, but there was no muscle/joint tightness or pain that I needed to run through, and the only limiter was cardiovascular. It's a nice change because usually I feel like I could push a little more, because something somewhere is hurting.

P.S. New pre-race dinner is Wildfire with scotch and wine.
Happy with this effort and that I wound up doing the race.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Keep training hard and make sure to stick with strength training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need more cardiovascular fitness and some additional strength training will help too.

Last updated: 2013-04-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:41 | 03.11 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/47
Overall: 0/485
Performance: Good
1st mile: 7:27 (HR 166) 2nd mile: 7:29 (HR 180) 3rd mile: 6:45 (HR 172) Last .1: ?!*
Course: Course was pretty flat through a residential neighborhood. There were one or two gradual grades throughout the course, and it finished with a really nice modest decline for about 1/3 of a mile to the finish. Great traffic control and no distractions. My Garmin had me coming in at 3 miles exactly, but also had some funky stuff going on with the pace and had me cutting through just about every corner. I know I wasn't running on anyone's lawn, so maybe this was a full 5K (it was billed as a 5K, so I'm going with that!) . . . either way I'll take it. If 3 miles, it was at a 7:14 pace; if a full 3.1, it was 7:00 flat. Who knew!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes