General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for Relaxing on OWS? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-13 1:43 PM

User image

Los Gatos
Subject: Advice for Relaxing on OWS?

I've historically a pretty weak swimmer but this winter, I got myself a swim coach and I've been putting in a lot of time down at the pool so I'm now a lot better - I've reduced my 750m time from 31 mins to 19 mins.

However my problem is that when I get in the open water, whether in a race or just in a low-key training session with my tri club, it all falls apart. My heart rate goes through the roof, my breathing is out of control and my form falls apart. I come nowhere close to replicating the performance I can manage in the pool. I find myself taking a break every 50 yards or so, to get my breathing back under control and to generally calm down.

So my problems appear to be stress-related but I'm not totally sure what specifically I'm stressing about. I've done a few races now so the presence of other swimmers around me just especially unnerve me. I have total faith in my wetsuit so I know I'm not going to drown. I'm not crazy about the murky water but that alone shouldn't freak me out, should it?

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's had this issue - so how have you overcome it?

It's at the point now where I'm seriously thinking of asking my doc to prescribe me some valium tabs!

Thanks for your help.

2013-04-13 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4698996

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Advice for Relaxing on OWS?

Pretty common, actually ... even among fairly experienced swimmers sometimes. Lots of ways and techniques folks have used. I put a few of mine into this article:

Open Water Swimming (OWS): M.A.P.S. to Get Ready

Good luck!

2013-04-13 2:49 PM
in reply to: #4699016

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
TriAya - 2013-04-13 12:18 PM

Pretty common, actually ... even among fairly experienced swimmers sometimes. Lots of ways and techniques folks have used. I put a few of mine into this article:

Open Water Swimming (OWS): M.A.P.S. to Get Ready

Good luck!

Wow this article was great.  Doing my first tri with an OWS in June and my first OWS practice swim ever is in 2 weeks.  I really appreciate this, thanks!

2013-04-13 4:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-13 6:23 PM

Champion
MA

I used to have same exact experience as you did....even after 5-7 years of doing tris.

For me, the more frequent I do ows the more comfortable I become. I need to do ows in the location of the race so I am used to feel, smell, taste, and reflections of the water.

Get a nice friend to swim with you and be kind to yourself in best way to deal with issues.

Most folks get in and just swim out. I find getting into the water and swimming parallel to the shore in waist deep water helps me adjust to the water.

I have that desire to stop and it is a mental exercise to get through it.

I thought I had it licked and it happened again after having no issues after a couple of years.

It does go away for me each year.

2013-04-13 7:56 PM

Master
University Park, MD
At least at the start of the swim, I make an effort to pay no attention to my speed, and focus entirely on being relaxed, keeping a good (well, for me) straight position in the water, and stroking and breathing comfortably. I find that helps to get me in the right frame of mind. I start paying attention to effort a few minutes into the swim.

2013-04-13 9:03 PM

Round Rock
Have had similar feelings with OWS. I have spent the winter working on my swim as well. I had another triathlete challenge me to focus on enjoying myself and not getting wrapped up in racing which seems  to be helping. I also will remind my self of different Bible verses that encourage and affirm me to keep my mind from racing and getting bent out of shape when doing "the combat swim".
2013-04-14 2:34 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

There is a nugget in Yanti's article that is easy to overlook.  In the paragraph about visualization, she mentions how the body responds physically to mental images. 

This works both ways! 

If you're mentally imagining yourself as a weak, panicky swimmer and how horrible the experience is going to be...that is exactly what you get! 

If you're mentally imaging yourself as a strong, confident swimmer, you can get there and waves, other swimmers, smelly and murky water, etc. won't stop you. 

So as you're driving to the venue (race/practice), find and focus on positive aspects of what you're doing.  As you're preparing to get in the water, focus on how relaxed and enjoyable the swim will be.  As you enter the water, focus on the positive sensations of the water, wind, and sun. 

Go slow.  I often advise new triathletes to count to 10 or 15 after the gun fires before they start swimming.  If watching others thrash around makes you nervous, look for your family on shore while you count.  Chances are, you'll get those 15 seconds back (and a lot more) compared to trying to swim in a crowd. 

2013-04-14 2:38 AM

Elite
What has worked for me has been to remember to enjoy the water like I did as a kid. Surf was fun the bigger the waves the more fun I had and now I embrace that at my squad and in races. I swim with a smile on my face and laugh when it's choppy sounds nuts huh? Works for me
2013-04-14 8:27 AM

Master
St. Louis
smallard - 2013-04-13 1:43 PM

I've historically a pretty weak swimmer but this winter, I got myself a swim coach and I've been putting in a lot of time down at the pool so I'm now a lot better - I've reduced my 750m time from 31 mins to 19 mins.

However my problem is that when I get in the open water, whether in a race or just in a low-key training session with my tri club, it all falls apart. My heart rate goes through the roof, my breathing is out of control and my form falls apart. I come nowhere close to replicating the performance I can manage in the pool. I find myself taking a break every 50 yards or so, to get my breathing back under control and to generally calm down.

So my problems appear to be stress-related but I'm not totally sure what specifically I'm stressing about. I've done a few races now so the presence of other swimmers around me just especially unnerve me. I have total faith in my wetsuit so I know I'm not going to drown. I'm not crazy about the murky water but that alone shouldn't freak me out, should it?

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's had this issue - so how have you overcome it?

It's at the point now where I'm seriously thinking of asking my doc to prescribe me some valium tabs!

Thanks for your help.

What helped for me was planning on that happening. Plan on getting out of breath in the first 30 seconds to a minute then plan on treading water, looking around (I spin in a 360 degree circle to look around), take in all the sights then smile that you are doing this crazy sport and continue. The other thing that helped me was chatting with friends right up until the start of the race. When I race alone, I get myself all worked up and nervous about the swim. My last race, I chatted with a friend right up until the race started and had the best swim yet.

Good luck!
2013-04-15 6:14 AM

Olney

Are all of your OWS wearing a wetsuit?

How does it fit?  If it has a poor fit, that can contribute to the problems you are feeling.

2013-04-15 7:21 AM

Veteran
Niagara Region
+1 on the wetsuit make sure it's not constricting your chest. I had that problem, with a good fitting wetsuit as mentioned above forget about time swim for feel. Make it feel easy, my main thing is to listen to my breathing. I find I need to keep it in check, if I start to need more air I back it down a touch until my heart rate and breathing air in the zone I want. Remember in a pool you get a reference every 25m not out doors. I also found the more I focused on controlling my breathing via my effort I actually swam faster. The reason I believe I went faster was I'm not in a fight with myself just a really relaxed swim. Now it's my favourite part of the tri.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice for Relaxing on OWS? Rss Feed