General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lumbar pain in a race for the first time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-14 6:35 AM

User image

New user

Chapel Hill
Subject: lumbar pain in a race for the first time

So, yesterday ran Belews Lake Int'l for my first tri in 17 years.  Was, for the most part, happy with my result, although I got dinged 2 minutes for forgetting my race belt heading out of T2 and thus running without a bib number.  Was sub 3, transitions felt efficient - I need some work on open water swimming (I was a collegiate swimmer, and didn't train the swim as hard as I did the other two legs... kinda underestimated).

at ANY rate... the reason for this thread is that for the first time, I had some pretty severe lower back tightness and pain at the start of the run, which went away about 1.5 mi in - but resulted in a very slow run/walk start over the first part of the leg.  I have done brick training for the past several months with no real trouble, and never have trouble in stand-alone runs.  My back wasn't really hurting on the bike at all, and I was just fit on the bike in November which has helped my power numbers a good deal.  NB - I don't own a tri bike.  I rode my road race bike in the drops - it's set up in a pretty aggressive position.  

Would love to hear thoughts on causes and thoughts on things I can do to address it both in the longterm and during a race (other than HTFU for the latter).  

2013-04-14 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4699379

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: lumbar pain in a race for the first time
Risking sounding like a broken record... I assume you did not get a bike fit... this really sounds like a bike fit issue, and more then likely you're set up too aggressively. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a bike fit.

You should also work on core strength. Adding 15-20 minutes 3-4 days of week of core make a world of difference in not only comfort, but also in efficiency.
2013-04-14 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4699379

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acworth, GA
Subject: RE: lumbar pain in a race for the first time
winegeek819 - 2013-04-14 7:35 AM

I rode my road race bike in the drops - it's set up in a pretty aggressive position.  

How often did you do your regular training rides in the drops for a high % of the ride???  My guess is that you were in a different position than you normally ride.   Plus the cumulate fatigue in the core from the swim, then jumping on the bike riding in the drops, probably all added up.

How to fix? clip on aero bars will help you support the weight on your arms instead of lower back. Or if it really is my guess, then train like you are going to race, ride in the drops A LOT.

Good luck.

Edited by Mc Q 2013-04-14 10:34 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » lumbar pain in a race for the first time Rss Feed