Mays Landing, New Jersey
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 2s
Overall Rank = 68/364
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 14/43
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 4am got all my stuff together, then met my teammates (Matt & Michelle) so we could drive down together. Had my peanut butter on a bagel (thanks Michelle) I think we were the first ones at off site parking. We sat around and joked to kill some time, and then we got ourselves together and walked to the race site. I had a first timer next to me at my rack, so that got me really excited, I love meeting first time people. His name was Zach, and he was 16. His parents were on site to help him out. His mom was asking me all sorts of questions cause I think he was shy and nervous. I did my best to calm him down. His mom way very thankful that I was trying to relax him I am sure she would have loved to done the mom thing and say the right mom stuff, but she didn’t know what to say and I sure did. I also saw a few old friends which was cool.

What can I say I had 2 hours to kill before race time.

Event warmup:

i did a little out and back swim...
Swim
  • 09m 38s
  • 481 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well. I normally start in the middle of the pack, but this time I decided to start in the front to see what would happen. My decision paid off I didn’t have a lot of traffic other than the waves that were before me. I was the 5th wave. The first 200 I felt like my feet were dragging on the bottom, but I know that wasn’t happening since I was wearing wetsuit. The rest of the swim I felt good I wasn’t having a problem seeing any of the buoys, it was good swim for me. When I got out of the water I was surprised to see my watch said 9:09, something wasn’t right. We found later in the day that swim was WAY longer than a ¼ mile.
What would you do differently?:

nothing i had a nice swim. My swim has really come together for me this season.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

it was an ok T1

get faster...
Bike
  • 29m 6s
  • 10.2 miles
  • 21.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Not much happened on the bike, I think I could have gone out harder. I was riding fast but I just wasn’t pushing myself.

push myself a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

an ok T2, i was much slower than i should have been.
Run
  • 24m 39s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok this was the part of the day I was looking forward to. I normally a very poor runner of the bike. I think part of it is mental, cause I know I can run faster, but once I get off the bike I can’t run fast at all. The past few weeks I have been doing some brick training where I am forcing myself to run fast. The bricks paid off and I when I jumped off the bike and started running I was running faster then I normally do, I was actually passing people, not many but I did pass some people. Yes I did get passed but not as often as I normally do. This was huge for me. I really think the bricks helped but I think a huge part of my run off the bike was mental. I think I may have broken that wall and I am excited. I hope I can do it again in 2 weeks.

nothing other than run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

As I crossed the finished line the first person I saw was Zach the first timer that was racked next to me. He had a smile ear to ear, reminded me of my first time (triathlon that is) He gave me a big hug and thanked me for all my help. That smile and hug really made me feel good. I then waited at the finish line for Michelle to cross, Matt crossed before I did. We cheered Michelle’s finish. She has been having some knee issues so she was really excited to cross the line since she thought her triathlon experience was going to be over due to her knee problems. Great job Michelle. During the post race Matt and I hung with Zach exchanging race stories, giving him the whole tri experience.

The next day i found out my team (Team Triumph) finished 2nd in in the Philly Women's Tri.. Great Job Girls!!!!

Event comments:

this is a great first time race.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:38 | 481 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 67/43
Overall: 0/364
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleevless
Course: it was a box shape
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:06 | 10.2 miles | 21.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 63/364
Wind: None
Course: out and back, with some false flats.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:39 | 03.2 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 109/364
no HR data, going on feel only
Course: It was a figure 8 type of course through a nice little neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ
Subject: Lake Lenape

2006-07-10 8:43 AM
in reply to: #477408

User image

Veteran
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Lake Lenape

i'm very happy for you and how well you did with your running, i know you've been wanting to improve that part of the race. and you did it.

that was very cool what you did with zach and helping him and just giving him advice on his first tri...i know been there done that...

and thanks for being there for me for support as i crossed that finish line!!!!

2006-07-10 10:54 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

That is just a cool RR - and helping out someone on their first time just rocks.

Great race!

Keep doing those bricks.

2006-07-10 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port
Geat job, John.  It feels great when you crack that 8min/mile barrier, doesn't it!  Wish I was there, but I just did Avalon, and I have Stone Harbor this Sunday.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Lenape Rss Feed