United States
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 25m 33s
Overall Rank = 1/9
Age Group = Cat 5
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

This was my second race of the day after a 39 mile road race. I was feeling a little tired from the first race and was unsure how that would affect the TT. Tried to stay hydrated with plenty of water and gatorade. Unfortunately due to the timing I didn't get any lunch between the two races but did have a banana and some granola bars.
Event warmup:

Rode about 4.5 miles on the TT bike.
Bike
  • 25m 33s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 24.79 mile/hr
Comments:

There was a pretty noticeable wind on the course; according to garmin connect 13mph. I went out pretty hard, but at a pace that I thought I could hold the entire race. My legs felt a little heavy from the morning's race, but overall I was moving pretty decent.

We started at 30 second intervals, and after a couple miles I caught and passed the guy that started in front of me. I took that as a good sign and started working towards the next guy. By the turnaround I was a few hundred meters away from him.

We got a benefit from the headwind changing to tailwind on the way back. I slowly reeled in the guy that started 1 min ahead of me, then quickly caught the 1.5 minute guy about halfway between the turnaround and finish.

From that point I just put my head down and tried to keep the cadence high and power up the inclines.

As the finish line came into sight I stayed seated and aero and just tucked in for one last effort. Crossed the line feeling pretty tired.
What would you do differently?:

Not do a 39 mile road race in advance possibly. Other than that... I took a full water bottle between the aero bars and didn't take a single sip. Maybe a nearly empty bottle next time.

I also need to play with my position a bit, as I was getting what felt like much more wind resistance unless I ducked my head low. Also, my numbers were flapping even though I pinned them at each corner as well as the middle of each edge.
Post race
Warm down:

Another couple miles on the road at an easy pace.

Last updated: 2013-03-10 12:00 AM
Biking
00:25:33 | 10.5 miles | 24.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 9/9
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course with a u-turn. Gradual climbs and descents, but not much elevation.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-04-14 2:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Fragrant Mushroom Time Trial

2013-04-14 3:06 PM
in reply to: #4699708

Expert
Subject: RE: Fragrant Mushroom Time Trial
Dude, your day makes me hurt thinking about it. It also makes me jealous. You killed it!
2013-04-14 6:50 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Nice job on the TT, especially following your first road race.  Careful, I hear it can be more addicting then triathlons.
2013-04-14 8:13 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Fantastic!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fragrant Mushroom Time Trial Rss Feed