hevents
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = 1047/1539
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 114/204
Pre-race routine:

Tried to get all the family into the car, it was end of daylight saving the night before, but I had been up all night due a 3yo with high temps. So I dragged myself out of bed, whinged and complain a bit, then just got ready to get on with it.
I did have cereal for breakfast.
Event warmup:

Walked around a bit at the start, did a few stretches and gentle waking up.
Run
  • 1h 06m 25s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 38s  min/km
Comments:

My goal was to run the entire distance without stopping, which I have never done before and to largely ignore my heart rate. I wanted to learn how to pace myself on feeling. From the beginning I started with a steady pace, up the hill as I did not want to have nothing left by the time I got to the last few KMs. I recalled from the last year I did the event that lots of people charge up the hill and end up completely spent at the end of it. I wanted to maintain a good pace, and ensure that I did not jar my body on the way down the hills.
I did manage to do this very well, and did not need to shuffle at all...just kept plodding.
It was interesting watching other people pass me with a great rate of knots and then pull up and walk 50m down the road. I stuck to my own pace, no pressure on myself about the time and kept thinking to myself about the Hare and the Tortoise (I wore a Turtle Shirt.
In the end I was feeling pretty tired, but still ran down the finishing chute and passed about 4 people.
I felt great...a sense of acheivement with an obstacle being achieved. I could run non-stop for over an hour!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I just need a HRM that has GPS so I know the distance I have to go. This would help me with pacing.

Post race
Warm down:

Walk around the ground, stretches

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had had a sprained back a month previous, and had just recovered from a cold/ sinus which pretty much meant I could not train.

Event comments:

This a great annual event in Newcastle in the city which is on a working harbour as well as plenty of beaches. The course is challenging with the hills, but definitely has a good community feel.

Last updated: 2013-04-12 12:00 AM
Running
01:06:25 | 10 kms | 06m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 117/204
Overall: 1047/1539
Performance: Good
HR average 174. Did max out at 218 by by HRM.
Course: Starts with a 1.2km hill up memorial drive. The hil is quite challenging, bbut at the end it is decline into King Edward Park and then back up and over on Shortland Esplanade which runs parallel to Newcastle beach. The run follows the road around and up a relatively steep incline to Fort Scratchley and then down along Nobby's beach breakwall. There is a turn on the breakwall to come back toward Nobby's. This is flat and runs adjacent to both the beach and the harbour. At the beginning of the breakwall the run than turns down Warf Road which is next to the harbour for about a 1km. The final turn comes back up along Warf road until the finishing chute.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes