United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 2s
Overall Rank = 177/228
Age Group = F 30-35
Age Group Rank = 16/20
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the resort from the cabin in the pouring rain. The skies opened up just as we loaded the bikes on the car. After the 20 minute drive, we sat in the car for a bit waiting for it to let up, and then just said forget it and headed out to transition to set up. Picked a spot but left everything in the bags at first. Got bodymarked, picked up timing chip, and waited.

The rain stopped about 20 minutes before race time, so we pulled everything out of our bags and headed to the water.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam around a bit. Even though the rain stopped, the wind was still pretty strong, and there was some decent chop to show for it. I kept thinking a boat must have just gone by, but nope, that's just how big the chop was.
Swim
  • 08m 23s
  • 570 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. A lot of congestion at the beginning, but it spread out fairly quickly. Last year the course was short, but I think they got the distance right this time. The chop made it tough going out, but coming back was better.

This is another new PB for and OWS pace for me. Previous best was 1:32/100 yds.
What would you do differently?:

Not walk as far at the end. It was really shallow, so I stood up much sooner than I should have.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

The most unpleasant tri experience to date. I blacked out in T1. Yikes. After exiting the water, I ran to my spot, pulled off my wetsuit while standing, and then sat down to put on my socks and shoes.

When I stood up again, I instantly felt like I couldn't breathe, like an asthma attack that came on very suddenly or something. I remember thinking "What the..?" and then I got the creeping gray coming from my peripheral vision... you know, like when you're going to pass out. I got very dizzy but luckily I already had both hands on my bike (which was still on the rack), so I was somewhat stabilized. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would've gone down. Things went dark for a few seconds (I think) and then started coming back again. I could hear before I could see, and it took me a few seconds to realize where I was and what I was supposed to be doing. Then I was looking down at my hands on my bike and trying to get them to move and do something, but it was like I was in slow motion for a little while.

I stood there for a few more seconds and caught my breath, and decided I'd keep going and see how it went. Any thoughts of pushing really hard pretty much died right there though. I managed to get my bike unracked and started toward the bike exit when I realized my wet sweatshirt that I had been wearing before the race was still hanging over the tube, so I had to go back and toss it on my spot. Ugh, more time lost.

I was stunned to see that my T1 time was 2:53 since it seemed to take forever. This was easily my most unpleasant tri experience so far. I'm not sure what happened other than maybe I stood up too quickly after puttin on my shoes and socks. That doesn't explain the shortness of breath though. It was pretty unnerving.

Stand up slower, I guess.
Bike
  • 39m 12s
  • 11 miles
  • 16.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I started a little slow on the bike given the T1 incident, but tried to pick it up pretty quickly. I really like this course; it's challenging but not too hard. There was some serious drafting going on during the outermost sections, which is always discouraging.

I decided not to drink as much as last race and to skip the Hammergel in order to avoid the side cramp I had last time. It seemed to work from a cramp standpoint, although it may have cost me on the run.

By the start of the bike, the weather was very nice. The wind was still there, but the sky was blue and the sun was out in full force.

Not a lot. This was ok for me given that I purposely started slow.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Thankfully a much less eventful T2. Racked bike, helmet off, bike shoes off, run shoes on, grabbed race number, and headed out.
Run
  • 32m 10s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was excruciating. It was hot, and I got killed, just absolutely *killed* from a rank perspective on this run. It was pretty depressing, actually. I only passed one woman on the run, and she wasn't in my age group. At least 6 or 7 people in my age group passed me, though.

Just about everything. The only good thing about this run was that I once again did not have any IT band issues.
Post race
Warm down:

Headed right for the water and Gatorade. Actually stretched some, for once. Watched other finishers for a while before heading back to the cabin to fetch the kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of serious training recently

Event comments:

This is a very nice race that we'll likely make a yearly event. I really like the bike course, especially. Nice running hats rather than shirts this year, which was a nice change of pace.

I'm pretty disappointed with my results for a number of reasons, but the bottom line is that I need to approach my training with renewed dedication going forward. I have a new bike this year, but yet the two races that were repeats from last year both resulted in slower bike times. *sigh* The engine just isn't what it should be. And the run...it just needs SO MUCH work. I have got to get a plan, rather than just going out an plodding for 2 or 3 miles, and calling it good. Clearly that is not working.

On the bright side, my husband placed 7th in his age group, which is his best result. Go Mark!

Last updated: 2006-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:23 | 570 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 48/228
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion Sleeveless
Course: Out and back from shore. Very rocky exit...ouch.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:12 | 11 miles | 16.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 165/228
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course on streets around the resort. A couple moderate hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:10 | 03 miles | 10m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 215/228
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back winding out of resort and on to nearby street. Short, steep hills right at the beginning and, naturally, at the end too. Not fun.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Timberman Triathlon

2006-07-10 10:58 AM
in reply to: #477495

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Timberman Triathlon

Awesome race!

I'd say the blacking out was from standing up too fast - I get that sometimes too - not quite as bad, but if I feel dizzy like that I either sit back down and then get up slower or hold onto something.  I think it's just a blood pressure thing, like I'm just moving too fast.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it starts happening more.

2006-07-10 3:44 PM

User image

Montrose, MN
Scary T1. I had a similiar experience after an open water swim. I stood up to run in and fell to my knees and started seeing stars and everything went black. It only lasted for a couple of seconds, but it was really scary. Happens to the best.
2006-07-10 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
Eden Prairie, MN
Seems like every time I comment on one of your race reports, it's always the same: "awesome swim". And there you go, just getting faster and faster!
Glad to hear your T1 scare wasn't anything serious.

-Kevin
2006-07-11 12:11 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
way to rally after that tough t1. you had a good ride. you still had a great race under the conditions.

ps. i was channeling you on sunday. fastest swim time in a race yet. my run is still my achilies heal too (ba dum bum).
2006-07-11 12:15 AM

Champion

I need to take swimming lessons from you.  How do you go so fast?  It's just not fair...LOL.  Sounds like you had a fun race!!

2006-07-11 8:46 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Great job on the swim leg!! I need some of your swim speed - correction...I need a LOT of your swim speed. Too bad about the T1 experience, but like you said it wasn't too much of a time loss. Good luck on your next race.
2006-07-13 7:37 AM

Expert
Princeton, MN
I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about your performance.
Right now I'd be happy to just finish a race...

2006-07-13 11:32 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

Great race despite the tough T1, Kelly!   It could have been that you were bobbing more in the choppy water than you usually do and that screwed with your equilibrium?  Who knows?  Anyhow, great race and congrats to Mark, too.

Cheers!

Tom

2006-07-16 7:02 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
I hope everything is ok. Do you normally have low blood pressure? Could the heat have been a factor?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman Triathlon Rss Feed