Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2013-04-16 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4700505

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon

I'm dedicating the rare all in one swim/bike/run brick my coach has me doing today to those affected by this catastrophic event.

Everyone is right: we have to focus on the good in humanity in order to overcome the evil.  I was disgusted earlier and not doing a very good job of that but reading all of the words of positivity here and over social media has reminded me.

Just wait until they see the show of solidarity among the runners and supporters next April.....

2013-04-16 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
My guess is next year's field will be the biggest in history.

Glad you are receiving some good hospitality & happy faces while in town, Brian. While we Bostonians can have a bit of a gruff exterior, underneath it all we'd give you the shirt off our backs if you needed it.
2013-04-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4701416

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
n.k - 2013-04-15 1:31 PM

According to the Boston Globe Twitter feed:

Police getting multiple reports of unexploded devices around Boston

If you are in Boston, please be safe!!

I haven't read through most of this thread since yesterday (so this may have already been mentioned), but I wanted to update my previous post with some facts that came out today:

"Contrary to early reports, there were no other explosive devices found in Boston,Gov. Deval Patrick confirmed at his press conference this morning. There were hundreds of packages left behind by fleeing spectators, and all had to be inspected, which was the source of a lot of confusion yesterday—particularly for those people following along on a police scanner. But now officials are adamant: The only explosive devices along the marathon route were the two that detonated.

Edited by n.k 2013-04-16 2:07 PM
2013-04-16 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4702818

User image

Regular
Wayland, Massachusetts

BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-16 2:10 PM Talk about surreal. Sitting in Starbucks doing email and drinking coffee. 50 feet away from me are two men in fatigues carrying automatic weapons.

Good to hear that you're safe, Brian - Philly's got yer' back!

An experience like this is no doubt going to be a defining moment in your life.  I grew up in the 80's in a city where urban terrorism was unfortunately a way of life - bombs in malls, railway stations, government offices, trash cans, etc., and always seeing soldiers/police with semi-automatic weapons in shopping malls, movie theaters, airports, etc.  Had to walk through a metal detector just to go into a shopping mall.  My "defining moment" was one Saturday night going out with a bunch of high school friends to a popular nightspot.  We got carded (18 drinking age), one of the guys got stopped, so we went around the corner to another place.  A couple of hours later, a car bomb exploded outside the place we were supposed to be - many dead and injured.  My life changed forever that night.  But on the positive side, I landed up leaving there, and eventually making Philly my home.  But you never forget a close call like that, so when an incident like Boston happens, a lot comes back to you.

2013-04-16 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4702828

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Samyg - 2013-04-16 11:19 AM

Just read this on Facebook:

"If you're trying to defeat the human spirit, marathoners are the wrong group to target"

Awesome blog on this very thought: link

2013-04-16 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4702994

User image

Pro
Tricycle - 2013-04-16 4:02 PM

BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-16 2:10 PM Talk about surreal. Sitting in Starbucks doing email and drinking coffee. 50 feet away from me are two men in fatigues carrying automatic weapons.

An experience like this is no doubt going to be a defining moment in your life.  I grew up in the 80's in a city where urban terrorism was unfortunately a way of life - bombs in malls, railway stations, government offices, trash cans, etc., and always seeing soldiers/police with semi-automatic weapons in shopping malls, movie theaters, airports, etc.  Had to walk through a metal detector just to go into a shopping mall.  My "defining moment" was one Saturday night going out with a bunch of high school friends to a popular nightspot.  We got carded (18 drinking age), one of the guys got stopped, so we went around the corner to another place.  A couple of hours later, a car bomb exploded outside the place we were supposed to be - many dead and injured.  My life changed forever that night.  But on the positive side, I landed up leaving there, and eventually making Philly my home.  But you never forget a close call like that, so when an incident like Boston happens, a lot comes back to you.

I was flying from NJ to Boston the morning of 9/11. Landed and was talking to my wife and about to get into a car when the second tower got hit. I was hoping never to experience something like that again. I just cannot understand what terrorists expect to accomplish. All this does is make us more resolute to continue our way of life.

2013-04-16 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4703021

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-16 3:21 PM
Tricycle - 2013-04-16 4:02 PM

I was flying from NJ to Boston the morning of 9/11. Landed and was talking to my wife and about to get into a car when the second tower got hit. I was hoping never to experience something like that again. I just cannot understand what terrorists expect to accomplish. All this does is make us more resolute to continue our way of life.

I know the feeling you describe.  I was on the 91st floor of the Sears tower working on a network install that morning.  Not a good feeling at all, and it was the final straw that made me move out of Chicago.

2013-04-16 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Some things just don't make sense no matter how you look at them. 
2013-04-16 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4702293

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
pitt83 - 2013-04-16 8:19 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-04-16 8:54 AM
mikerunkle - 2013-04-16 7:13 AM
GomesBolt - 2013-04-15 10:56 PM Now that some time has passed, I can explain a few of my thoughts.

I was a Combat Engineer in the Marine Corps. That consists of building stuff and blowing stuff up. I've blown up a lot of stuff and been pretty close to a lot of explosions.

A backpack couldn't have done this. Fire, smoke, etc to that level would have to be at least a duffel bag or a trash can. It looked about 1/2 the force of a typical artillery round IED. The ball bearings are what show me this was pretty highly trained and designed. In ATL, they used roofing nails. Ball bearings fly a little slower and cause more damage actually. The coordinated attack with two shots was pretty professional. Very glad cell phones were cut off before additional attacks could go off.

Even a large amount of just C4 wouldn't cause this much smoke and flames. The shockwave is invisible and cuts through without flames. You have to build this just right to have those effects. I've been feet away from claymores as they were fired (shh don't tell my wife) and the over pressure even from that small amount of explosive feels like a punch in the gut.

If you see people with large duffels in crowds, in something like this, definitely say something.

The runner bags are not likely to hold anything very dangerous.

We need to increase the bomb dogs at events. They are a pleasant sight to most people, and there's no better friend when you're looking for stuff like this. Platoons in Afghanistan almost never leave the wire without a dog these days.

I hope we increase security reasonably. There was nothing like finishing my first and only marathon and I'd hate to see finish lines empty because the anti terror stuff is too prohibitive.

Sorry to disagree, Eng, but as an EOD guy I have some other thoughts.  1) The smoke looks like blackpowder to me. 2) They were small, think 2 pipebombs sized.  3) This was an amateur shot.  Two devices spaced out the distance you could quickly walk and drop off, two that reportedly didn't go off.  4) The event is an odd target.  Means local or someone with a misunderstanding of the importance of the event.

To me this was a domestic or wanna-be bomber.  Built crude devices from the internet.

Sorry to hijack thread but my frustration and uselessness watching this on TV compells me to finally comment.

Thoughts to all involved.  And yes, this compells me to want to BQ just to give the finger to the clown who would do such a thing!

Black powder would make sense for the smoke and flame.  But it looks too big for just pipe-bombs both in the volume of the explosion, and in the damage.  150 people is a lot of folks if it's just a few pipe bombs.  But I do defer to you guys with non-standard demo.  

I heard about the local guy getting arrested this morning.  But there are a lot of reasons certain types of terrorists would hit a target like this.  Boston was also where the hijackers left on 9/11.  Patriot's day is unlike any other event in the US for access and population.  Maybe the fact that women are elevated at Boston with the early start for the elites and that ticks off some wackos.  

It could be an amateur, but the results point at least to me to someone who knew exactly what they were doing with their shots and with their target.  Amateur or professional, he had his desired effect.  

Those 2 un-detonaed ones are extremely valuable evidence. Fingerprints; both human and the technique of making the IED will be crucial to finding and convicting people.

Black powder in Crock Pots stuffed in Duffel Bags. Mike, between you and me, we make a good team...

I hear there were no more unexploded IEDs...

2013-04-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4703101

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Wanted to tip my hat to the servicemen as well.  Saw some footage where men in fatigues were getting into the rubble along side the police.  So thanks.  I'm sure they were there to watch the race just like everyone else and got involved.  Not sure if it was duty or compassion, but good stuff, none the less.

But that leads to a question.  I'm thinking as a civilian, you would not be allowed to stay and offer aid.  Police and FD would usher you out. Understandable as they need to try to keep "civilians" safe.  But do servicemen (and women, not to forget them) have carte blanche to stick around?

Maybe in the moment they would have take assistance from anyone.  But from of the footage, it looked like only uniforms were there.   I'm thinking if I tried to help, they wouldn't let me even if I wanted to.  Maybe if I was a doctor or paramedic?  Does a uniform allow one to stay in an emergency and everyone else has to be evacuated?

2013-04-16 5:11 PM
in reply to: #4703146

User image

Elite
Cleveland

I don't think that there's any hard and fast rule on that.

I think it's a "play it by ear" type of situation... if someone can help, you let them help.  A civilian may have to offer up info like "I know advanced first aid" or whatever, but if you can't help without being directed, then you help the most by staying out of the way.  A servicemember helping take down fencing and stuff... or anything else, is helpful, because if nothing else they haven't been paralyzed by the situation and they're doing something that directly effects the ability of others to offer helps.

2013-04-16 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4703154

User image

Sensei
Sin City
cgregg - 2013-04-16 3:11 PM

I think it's a "play it by ear" type of situation... if someone can help, you let them help.  A civilian may have to offer up info like "I know advanced first aid" or whatever, but if you can't help without being directed, then you help the most by staying out of the way.  A servicemember helping take down fencing and stuff... or anything else, is helpful, because if nothing else they haven't been paralyzed by the situation and they're doing something that directly effects the ability of others to offer helps.

And that's all I really saw them do in the footage.  Rip down fencing/rubble.  Again, something I could/would do, but probably would be told to vacate the area.

2013-04-16 8:28 PM
in reply to: #4703157

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Kido - 2013-04-16 5:16 PM
cgregg - 2013-04-16 3:11 PM

And that's all I really saw them do in the footage.  Rip down fencing/rubble.  Again, something I could/would do, but probably would be told to vacate the area.

That's a good point Chris, when everyone was trying to figure out what just happened, those troops rushed over and started working. It's a case of "observe, orient, decide, act" the OODA Loop.

I've been out for 6 years, but if something happened, I don't think I'd vacate until they were literally pulling me out or firemen in gear were there to help.

2013-04-16 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4703146

User image

Queen BTich
Kido - 2013-04-16 5:59 PM

Wanted to tip my hat to the servicemen as well.  Saw some footage where men in fatigues were getting into the rubble along side the police.  So thanks.  I'm sure they were there to watch the race just like everyone else and got involved.  Not sure if it was duty or compassion, but good stuff, none the less.

But that leads to a question.  I'm thinking as a civilian, you would not be allowed to stay and offer aid.  Police and FD would usher you out. Understandable as they need to try to keep "civilians" safe.  But do servicemen (and women, not to forget them) have carte blanche to stick around?

Maybe in the moment they would have take assistance from anyone.  But from of the footage, it looked like only uniforms were there.   I'm thinking if I tried to help, they wouldn't let me even if I wanted to.  Maybe if I was a doctor or paramedic?  Does a uniform allow one to stay in an emergency and everyone else has to be evacuated?

Like someone above said, in those situations service members would be treated like police, firemen, other first responders. The first thing we're taught is to secure the area, assess, and start treating/triage. Based on the interviews I've seen on TV, the police and security were securing the scene within minutes, getting runners and other bystanders/victims out of the area. This is to keep them from further harm and to allow first responders and people who helped those around them, to work. Granted, there is no "show ID now" situation when an incident has just occurred, but many who were running to the scene were medical aid tent workers: Dr's, nurses, etc. Also, many military members are CLS trained: combat lifesaver (I know most Army & Marines are at least). 

I wouldn't say "carte blanche" to describe it and I can guarantee they don't want to stick around just to watch the carnage, but it is a duty to help. Rather, "we know these people are trained to protect and help." Again, they are TRAINED do to that. They aren't going to get in the way, they will take direction and ensure the safety of the victims and the other responders. They are just as noticeable as policemen.  

I'm sure some police officers can chime in here, but if I was in my Army uniform and a disaster occurred, no police would be kicked away or out. Just like they wouldn't keep soldiers away. Now, in later footage, you see many in white and blue jackets, volunteers from the medical tent.

Does that help? 

2013-04-16 10:02 PM

goosedog.. saw your friends picture on the front page of the New York Post today, shes hurt bad hopefully her hearing is not damaged, her image will be forever associated with the type of mindless heartless hate that occured here in the USA yesterday . I hope she will be well and it will take time for the shock of what she saw and experienced to heal . God Bless.
2013-04-17 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
New York

2013-04-17 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4704216

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I hope the that the first article is correct.

BUT, that's what I hate about the media.  The say they have video/pictures of a suspect of a man with a black bag...  Then they post a picture of a man with a black bag at the fence of the race...  So I'm studying it to see any identifiable things.  Just to find out it was someone praying at the fence after the fact.  If that's not a "trick" to get viewers/readers attention, I don't know what is.

2013-04-17 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
New York
This isn't coming from "the media" it's coming from FBI and DOJ. The Boston Globe has been doing some stellar reporting on this story so I trust them, but in addition, several other media outlets are reporting the same thing.
2013-04-17 12:53 PM

User image

Expert
New York
Now both AP and CNN are reporting an arrest has been made (or is imminent). But conflicting reports from officials.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/17/boston-marathon-pressure-cooker-bomb/2089963/ 
2013-04-17 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4704237

User image

Sensei
Sin City

swishyskirt - 2013-04-17 10:41 AM This isn't coming from "the media" it's coming from FBI and DOJ. The Boston Globe has been doing some stellar reporting on this story so I trust them, but in addition, several other media outlets are reporting the same thing.

I get that.  I'm just saying the online article was misleading.  The headline was something about a man with a black bag...  Then they show a picture of a man with a black bag - but it was someone praying and NOT the suspect.  Convenient to get your attention.

Doesn't matter.  They may have seen that was misleading so they switched out the picture with one with a sign on the fence.  Maybe it was an accident.

BTW, ESPN radio is reporting they arrested someone as well.

Edited by Kido 2013-04-17 12:58 PM
2013-04-17 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
New York

I think they were slamming the news in, because the link itself (as you can see from my previous post) still indicated the lead article was about the victims. 

Anyway, we have AP, Reuters, CNN and FOX all saying an arrest has been made, but NBC News is saying FBI told them they have identified (possibly only by face) someone they want to talk to from two separate surveillance videos...no name or any other info...

2013-04-17 1:10 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ

Someone may have already posted this but I don't have time to comb through the thread -

http://imgur.com/a/sUrnA

Just shows how hard it would be to piece everything together.  Hopefully they got their guy today.  

2013-04-17 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4704273

User image

Sensei
Sin City
swishyskirt - 2013-04-17 11:02 AM

I think they were slamming the news in, because the link itself (as you can see from my previous post) still indicated the lead article was about the victims. 

Anyway, we have AP, Reuters, CNN and FOX all saying an arrest has been made, but NBC News is saying FBI told them they have identified (possibly only by face) someone they want to talk to from two separate surveillance videos...no name or any other info...

Yep, every time I click the link, it's a new story.  Now it's someone is in custody.  10 minutes ago it was they had a suspect.  when you posted it, it must have been about the victims.

2013-04-17 1:15 PM

User image

Expert
New York
No real news until 5pm press conference, of course, so for the next three hours, it's gonna be a WHOLE lot of guesswork.
2013-04-17 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
New York
AAAAaaan CNN just walked it back. Now they say someone "in custody" -- not arrested. NBC still saying neither is true.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon Rss Feed  

of 12