Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2013-04-17 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4700505

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon

Quite a scene at the federal court house in Boston, which is 1/2 mile from my office. Has been evacuated due to a bomb threat. Big crowd outside as well, seems folks are awaiting the arrival of the marathon bomber, but who knows what is up with that. What a week.....

2013-04-17 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I thought of the BT Boston runners when I saw this article.
2013-04-17 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4704477

User image

Elite
washington state

rrrunner - 2013-04-17 12:39 PM I thought of the BT Boston runners when I saw this article.

Thanks for sharing this.  I thought it was very good insight.

2013-04-17 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4704477

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

rrrunner - 2013-04-17 12:39 PM I thought of the BT Boston runners when I saw this article.

I saw the video a dozen times and wondered about this guy.  I thank God he is OK and amazed he got back up and finished.  Wow!!

"The image of 78-year-old Bill Iffrig, knocked to the ground by the force of the explosion just 15 feet from the finish, has been viewed over and over worldwide. He got up to complete the full 26.2 miles."

2013-04-17 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4704572

User image

Sensei
Sin City
popsracer - 2013-04-17 1:44 PM

I saw the video a dozen times and wondered about this guy.  I thank God he is OK and amazed he got back up and finished.  Wow!!

"The image of 78-year-old Bill Iffrig, knocked to the ground by the force of the explosion just 15 feet from the finish, has been viewed over and over worldwide. He got up to complete the full 26.2 miles."

Yeah, I wondered about him for a while.  I thought maybe he could have been hit by something BUT I sort of concluded it was an old guy, on tired legs, got knocked over by the blast and landed on his knees.  He seemed to be favoring them in subsequent footage (and not some other body part).  He was interviewed on one of the stations last night (I assume he has been the subject of a lot of conversation since he seemed to be the only runner to go down).  Looks like my assumption was correct, thankfully.

A couple other people that jumped out at me (other than the spectators which is hard to make out).

• Is the lady who checked her watch before checking the explosion behind her.
  • The guy who covers his left ear/face.  Curious if he caught shrapnel or ruptured ear drum or something.
  • The girl volunteers in the yellow jackets that were RIGHT ON THE FENCE...  They seemed scared, but ok, more or less. 

I'm guessing the density of the crowd probably kept some of the damage from being wide spread.  BUT, the spectators then received all the force of it.  Just terrible.

2013-04-17 5:44 PM

User image

Expert
New York

You know, more than anything, my eye kept getting drawn to the same guy, Kido -- the one who grabbed his ears. Something about his response made me want to jump through the screen and hug him, even more so than Bill Iffrig, whose story I still love. I think it's because it captured the emotion of the moment for me -- you know, what the heck just happened, confusion, disorientation. He didn't seem hurt. But his confusion came across as almost childlike, so innocent, like he totally didn't understand what was happening and needed someone to explain. Sort of heart wrenching to watch.

This one gets me too:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/specials/boston-marathon-explosions-video

Click on the video called "Boston marathon runners recall horror, terror" and watch for the older gentleman, Tom Marrin talk about his experience at around :35 and again at 1:22. So sad and so touching. 

2013-04-17 6:35 PM

User image

Spokane

http://imgur.com/a/sUrnA

Link to 4 chan pictures of the possible bombing suspects. This is just what the internet is finding, not actual suspects yet. But sometimes this is how things get solved.

2013-04-17 7:57 PM
in reply to: #4704713

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
dkahns51 - 2013-04-17 4:35 PM

Link to 4 chan pictures of the possible bombing suspects. This is just what the internet is finding, not actual suspects yet. But sometimes this is how things get solved.

Some interesting photos.  I think you could eliminate many of them because of the way they are being held.  I'm thinking mainly in terms of how much it must have weighed.  I haven't heard an estimate but it would be significant. 

2013-04-17 8:22 PM
in reply to: #4704792

User image

Spokane
popsracer - 2013-04-17 5:57 PM
dkahns51 - 2013-04-17 4:35 PM

Some interesting photos.  I think you could eliminate many of them because of the way they are being held.  I'm thinking mainly in terms of how much it must have weighed.  I haven't heard an estimate but it would be significant. 

Someone on there estimated 30lbs. OF course this could be someone talking out of there so who knows really.

2013-04-17 11:22 PM
in reply to: #4704713

User image

Pro
dkahns51 - 2013-04-17 6:35 PM

I'd be willing to bet the two guys in the black coats, tan pants, tan boots, and earphones are not the bombers.....those boys look like they play for the other team to me.  Pretty standard issue for Special Operations units.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-04-17 11:29 PM
2013-04-18 4:00 AM
in reply to: #4704572

User image

Regular
NSW
popsracer - 2013-04-18 8:44 AM

Thanks for this article, the footage of that man was shown on high rotation here the other day. Its good to hear he was not physically hit.

2013-04-18 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4704977

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Left Brain - 2013-04-18 12:22 AM
dkahns51 - 2013-04-17 6:35 PM

I'd be willing to bet the two guys in the black coats, tan pants, tan boots, and earphones are not the bombers.....those boys look like they play for the other team to me.  Pretty standard issue for Special Operations units.

Agreed.  The guy with the white and sunnies on top of his head/hat, on the other hand... he looks real hinky to me.  

2013-04-18 8:49 AM

User image

Elite
washington state

Bill Iffrig  ---  Now that just blows my mind.   78 years old and running a 4 hour marathon!  Amazing!  I think they said this was his 45th marathon.

Edited by deehtz 2013-04-18 8:49 AM
2013-04-18 9:04 AM

User image

Pro

Yesterday wasn't a very good day, although I did take my son fishing for an hour. Today is the first day back in the office since the marathon. And now it's back to reality. I was walking to work wearing the marathon jacket, lots of smiles and nods. Politics aside, I think this country is pretty strong when threatened.

BAA is doing a pretty good job doling out information and trying to support runners. They sent out this email. The links didn't copy, so if anyone wants the original information shoot me a PM.

DEAR RUNNER AND VOLUNTEERS

We are all overwhelmed by the horrific and tragic events at the Boston Marathon last Monday.

Events of mass violence can trigger overwhelming feelings of anxiety, anger or fear. United States Public Health Service, Mental Health Team has arrived in Boston and will be available for in person individuals and group sessions. We will have more specifics for you tomorrow.

The Federal Disaster Distress Helpline, 1-800-985-5990, can provide immediate counseling to anyone who needs help in dealing with the aftermath of this tragedy. This free, confidential, and multilingual crisis support service is also available via SMS (text TalkWithUs to 66746) to anyone experiencing psychological distress as a result of this event. Callers and texters are connected to trained and caring professionals from crisis counseling centers in the network. The Helpline staff provides confidential counseling, referrals to local services that are immediately available, and other needed support services. 

Through the Massachusetts Departments of Mental and Public Health, we have assembled many other resources to help runners, volunteers, responders, and spectators manage emotion, grief and stress in the aftermath of a traumatic and violent event.

Signs and symptoms many people frequently experience following a traumatic stress incident:

• Trouble sleeping or having bad dreams
  • Recurring images or flashbacks
  • Strong emotions such as anger, guilt, anxiety, fear or sadness
  • Flatness or disinterest in life or routine
  • Irritability
  • Startled easily, feeling cautious
  • Avoiding reminders related to the event
  • Headaches, diarrhea, nausea, or other developing physical ailments
  • Difficulty remembering the event
  • Substance use increases

Dealing with the Effects of Trauma - A Self-Help Guide:  This Federal Disaster Distress guide provides more in-depth information on recovering from a traumatic event and is geared toward those whose reactions may be lingering. 

Effects of Traumatic Stress after Mass Violence, Terror, or Disaster:  Developed by the National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, this publication provides information regarding normal reactions to abnormal situations.  It includes descriptions of common traumatic stress reactions, problematic stress responses, and symptoms of PTSD and acute stress disorder. 

Tips for Survivors of a Traumatic Event - Managing Your Stress:  This tip sheet outlines the common signs of stress after a disaster and provides stress reduction strategies. 

Tips for Talking with and Helping Children and Youth Cope after a Disaster or Traumatic Event:  This fact sheet helps parents and teachers recognize and address problems in children and teens affected by the trauma after an act of violence.  It describes signs of stress reactions that are common in young trauma survivors at different ages, and offers tips on how to help. 

Tips for Managing and Preventing Stress - A Guide for Emergency Response and Public Safety Workers:  This fact sheet gives organizational and individual tips for stress prevention and management for emergency response workers and public safety workers.  It describes normal reactions to a disaster, signs of the need for stress management, and ways to handle stress. 

Anyone with information about the explosions should call the Boston Police at 800-494-TIPS.  The FBI has also established a tip line, 800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324), prompt #3, for anyone who has information or visual images regarding the explosions.

2013-04-18 7:30 PM

User image

Scottsdale, AZ
Goose - just got this weeks SI and they have a photo spread in the first couple pages. Some of the pics are pretty powerful/graphic... Your friend is in the picture on the second page (it's a two page photo). Really is scary seeing the carnage around her. I know she was significantly hurt but man, it could have been much worse. Hopefully she's already on her way to a speedy recovery
2013-04-19 6:51 AM

User image

Pro

Philadelphia loves Boston. Hundreds of runners went converged on City Hall and ran to the Constitution Center/Liberty Bell. The police blocked off the streets for us. So amazing.

Can you guys see where it says "Only in America" - that was the sign on the National Jewish History Museum.

(run bell.jpg)

(run city hall.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
run bell.jpg (80KB - 22 downloads)
run city hall.jpg (87KB - 23 downloads)

2013-04-19 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4706726

User image

Regular
Wayland, Massachusetts
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-19 7:51 AM

Philadelphia loves Boston. Hundreds of runners went converged on City Hall and ran to the Constitution Center/Liberty Bell. The police blocked off the streets for us. So amazing.

Can you guys see where it says "Only in America" - that was the sign on the National Jewish History Museum.

Great pics! Makes me proud.

2013-04-19 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4706746

User image

Pro
Tricycle - 2013-04-19 8:14 AM

Local paper said close to 3,000 runners.

2013-04-19 7:31 AM
in reply to: #4706754

User image

Elite
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-20 12:20 AM
Tricycle - 2013-04-19 8:14 AM

Local paper said close to 3,000 runners.

that's just lovely.
2013-04-19 4:44 PM

User image

Pro

What a great letter from the BAA.

TO OUR RUNNERS:

As we watch the latest episode in this agonizing story surrounding Monday's cowardly attack in Boston, I want to let everyone who participated in this year's marathon know that we at the Boston Athletic Association stand with you.

We have been inspired by your bravery in the face of unspeakable cruelty, and we have been moved by your outpouring of support for our race officials, volunteers and our entire Boston Marathon family-a family of which you are now a lifetime member.

We will be forever moved by the strength of our runners. Runners who finished their race, only to then race to give blood to help save their fellow runners who had fallen. Runners who helped support those around them when they found themselves leaving the course and huddling in schools, churches and the homes of strangers who opened their doors.

Monday's tragic events affected us all. Those who were injured are in our thoughts and prayers. Yesterday, we prayed together. We prayed with President Obama, who told us.

Our prayers are with the injured-so many wounded, some gravely. From their beds, some are surely watching us gather here today. And if you are, know this: As you begin this long journey of recovery, your city is with you. Your commonwealth is with you. Your country is with you. We will all be with you as you learn to stand and walk and, yes, run again. Of that I have no doubt. You will run again. You will run again!

And we will run again. You are strong. Boston is strong. And You and Boston have made us enormously proud. The Boston Marathon is a deeply held tradition, an integral part of the fabric and history of our running community. We are committed to continuing that tradition with the running of the 118th Boston Marathon in 2014. We will all run again.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Tom Grilk, for the B.A.A.

P.S. Once the emergency situation in Boston is resolved, we will be sending out additional counseling information for anyone in need

2013-04-19 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4707587

User image

Seattle
BrianRunsPhilly - 2013-04-19 4:44 PM

What a great letter from the BAA.

TO OUR RUNNERS:

As we watch the latest episode in this agonizing story surrounding Monday's cowardly attack in Boston, I want to let everyone who participated in this year's marathon know that we at the Boston Athletic Association stand with you.

We have been inspired by your bravery in the face of unspeakable cruelty, and we have been moved by your outpouring of support for our race officials, volunteers and our entire Boston Marathon family-a family of which you are now a lifetime member.

We will be forever moved by the strength of our runners. Runners who finished their race, only to then race to give blood to help save their fellow runners who had fallen. Runners who helped support those around them when they found themselves leaving the course and huddling in schools, churches and the homes of strangers who opened their doors.

Monday's tragic events affected us all. Those who were injured are in our thoughts and prayers. Yesterday, we prayed together. We prayed with President Obama, who told us.

Our prayers are with the injured-so many wounded, some gravely. From their beds, some are surely watching us gather here today. And if you are, know this: As you begin this long journey of recovery, your city is with you. Your commonwealth is with you. Your country is with you. We will all be with you as you learn to stand and walk and, yes, run again. Of that I have no doubt. You will run again. You will run again!

And we will run again. You are strong. Boston is strong. And You and Boston have made us enormously proud. The Boston Marathon is a deeply held tradition, an integral part of the fabric and history of our running community. We are committed to continuing that tradition with the running of the 118th Boston Marathon in 2014. We will all run again.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Tom Grilk, for the B.A.A.

P.S. Once the emergency situation in Boston is resolved, we will be sending out additional counseling information for anyone in need

The B.A.A. has been just outstanding with their communications.

2013-04-19 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Suspect # 2 in custody. Currently injured and at the hospital...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Boston Marathon Rss Feed  

of 12