General Discussion Race Reports! » Belews Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Belews Lake International Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Greensboro, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 53s
Overall Rank = 50/181
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

I went into race week feeling good about where I was at physically. I shaved down to the traditional first Tri of the season mustache, and took it easy. I began my Hammer Nutrition Race Day Boost regimen on Tuesday, taking 4 doses per day. The morning of the race, I packed my typical pre race breakfast, planning to eat it two hours before my start time, then Emily and I set off to Belews Lake. When we arrived, I picked up my packet, got marked, and picked up my chip. Then I set up transition and spent some time with Emily before jumping in to start.
Event warmup:

None. I just did some dynamic stretches to loosen up.
Swim
  • 29m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a time trial start, with two swimmers starting every 15 seconds. I hopped in and immediately began passing people. I was surprised at how many people started ahead of me, and I realized quickly that a lot of people overestimated their swimming ability when submitting their 100 meter time for seeding. I felt very comfortable in the water. I was sighting well, and felt fast, passing the first turn buoy quickly. The first 1/3 of the course is in a bit of a cove and protected from the wind, but as I swam past that point, I noticed that the chop picked up. This wasn't an issue for me, since I swim at Ebenezer, which always has wind and chop. I rounded the final turn buoy and spotted the boat ramp. I kept swimming hard, and had to correct very little. I came out right on the boat ramp, and ran hard to transition.
What would you do differently?:

This was an awesome swim for me. I swam a 30:05 last year at this race on a non windy day, so swimming nearly a minute quicker is a great improvement. I still hope to get faster, and will be putting in plenty of time in the pool and out at Jordan Lake.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Found my teather quickly and unzipped. I got the wetsuit down to my waist while running, but left my cap and goggles on. I found my bike quickly, and saw that one of the guys on my rack was back. I still made it out of transition before him though. I quickly removed the wetsuit from my legs, pulled off my cap and goggles, pulled on my bike shoes, donned my helmet and sunglasses, slipped my gel flask into my side pocket, and ran out with my bike.

Just practice to become faster. I was 11 seconds faster than last year, so I can't complain.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 21s
  • 27 miles
  • 20.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off great. I pushed hard up the hill out of the marina, but my pace was comfortable. I passed everyone I came across on the hill, and got down into aero once we topped out. I kept a very comfortable, yet quick pace on the bike. I pushed hard on the uphills, hammered the flats, and bombed the downhills. I was ahead of my time from the previous year by over a minute when starting the bike, and I was really trying hard to keep ahead of the pace. I took the turns a lot faster this year, and it felt great. Towards the end of my second lap, I was on pace for a bike PR. I was pushing hard as I made the turn back onto Ellisboro Rd, but then I saw them. 3 cars bumper to bumper behind someone riding at a snail's pace. It's against USAT rules to cross the yellow line, and there was nowhere to go on the right, so I just had to sit up and wait. The cars finally passed the rider, but then we got behind another, and then another. There was another rider there with me, and we both missed PRs because of this. We were behind the last one all the way until the turn into the marina. I hit the downhill hard back to the marina, and took my feet out at the gate just above the transition area. Sitting behind those cars was frustrating, but there was nothing I could do about it. I missed a PR, but I still know my fitness is better this year.

More bike time. My pace was better than last year before getting stuck behind the cars, but it could be faster. I'll also keep saving for a Tri bike and hit the weights.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Awesome dismount!!! I hit the line perfectly and heard the woman beside me let out a "whoop". I ran to my rack, slid the bike on, dropped the helmet and slipped on the shoes. I grabbed my hat and number and ran out. I could hardly believe it all happened this quick, and was mentally checking myself as I ran out. Perfect T2 for me. 1st in age group 11th overall!!!

Not a thing. This was perfect.
Run
  • 46m 17s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great leaving transition. A lot of it is probably being more dialed in on the bike, but it was probably nutrition as well. I pushed fluids and gel on the bike since it is the most convenient time to eat, and I couldn't be happier with how it all worked.
As I was leaving transition, I grabbed a water, but had to wait for the volunteer, so I lost a second or two. No big deal, I still felt great. I hit the hill hard, and passed everyone. After the race, Emily told me that lots of spectators on the hill were commenting on my leg muscles and how fast I was going up the hill.
As I got to campsite road, I felt a little discomfort in my quads, but that soon faded, and I got into a good rhythm, passing lots of people as I went. I was pacing off of a guy on my first lap, hoping to pass him, but he turned toward the marina, and I still had one more lap.
My second lap was tough. My legs started burning toward the end, but I knew I had to keep going if I had any chance at a PR. I ran hard on the downhill to the marina, and made a line straight for the water and a place to sit down as soon as I crossed the line. Emily grabbed my "Finisher" pint glass for me. I missed a course PR by 11 seconds and I ran 9 seconds slower than last year, but any difference under 15 seconds is pretty much the same time. Great run!

Just put in some more run time and do a few more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and ate free food. My watch didn't have my correct time, since I started it late, so I walked over to the tent to check and saw that I had placed 3rd in my age group! This is my first podium in a triathlon since October 2011, so I was super psyched!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Limited run training, body weight, less advanced bike, I'm still a slow swimmer.

Event comments:

Awesome race! I love this venue, and plan to be back every year as long as I can fit it in. I loved the pint glasses for finishers, and the fleece blankets were a great prize. Set Up always does an incredible job!

Last updated: 2013-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:08 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 90/181
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 4 Full Suit
Course: Triangular course starting from the dock and ending on the boat ramp. The one change from 2012 was that we jumped from the dock to begin this year.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:19:21 | 27 miles | 20.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 50/181
Wind: Some
Course: Up the hill and out to the main road. 2 loops, and then back into the marina.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:17 | 06.21 miles | 07m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 48/181
Course: Out and back along campsite road. Start out on a big hill, then turn onto campsite road at the top and run out and back twice before dropping back down to the marina. A little hilly, especially toward the end of the road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-15 1:19 PM

Haw River, NC
Subject: Belews Lake International Triathlon

2013-04-15 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4701022

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Subject: RE: Belews Lake International Triathlon

Congrats on your race!!!!

Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with your "15 second rule"?

2013-04-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4701243

Haw River, NC
Thanks Alan. The 15 seconds is a personal rule. I feel like a quarter of a minute is needed to make something a true PR, and 15 seconds is still in that range of time that could be attributed to environmental factors and outside sources. I certainly don't apply it to anyone else's times.
2013-04-16 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4701022

User image

Regular
Congrats on your race! Great swim venue and well-supported race. I agree that lots of people probably overestimated their swim times.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belews Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed