General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rules for Tapering? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-15 1:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Rules for Tapering?
I have my first tri of the season in two weeks.   It is my first Olympic distance.  What are the rules for tapering? 

2013-04-16 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4701053

User image

Regular
The Sipp
Subject: RE: Rules for Tapering?

I would say it is not a 'set rule', but more to do with the persons fitness level and ability.

If it were me, I would train up to the weekend before, take a couple days off (Mon,Tue), a swim and easy run Wed, a swim Thurs, and off Friday.

2013-04-16 6:37 AM

User image

Follow your training plan. No, you don't need to do more than that 10 minute bike on that day.

Oh, be aware they don't call it taper PMS for nothing.

(edit) I don't know how it is if an OLY distance but things hurt that never in your life ever hurt before and up to about a day prior you feel like your legs/hips/knees are going to pop out of joint at any minute and someone's sticking you with knitting needles. That's normal. Weird as hell, but normal.

Edited by DanielG 2013-04-16 6:38 AM
2013-04-16 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4702150

pprice72 - 2013-04-16 6:31 AM

I would say it is not a 'set rule', but more to do with the persons fitness level and ability.

If it were me, I would train up to the weekend before, take a couple days off (Mon,Tue), a swim and easy run Wed, a swim Thurs, and off Friday.

im curious, why dont you bike at all that last week?  i find biking to be the least stressful of the three events.

i also recommend swimming at least 2 times that last week.  i swear my arms feel more tired if i take a break from swimming for even 4 days.  its like im losing some amount of fitness from the down time.

2013-04-16 3:29 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I believe tapering is one of those things that you need to figure out what works best for you.  It is dependent upon a lot of things such as how hard you have been pushing yourself, how long it takes you to heal up from any nagging little aches/pains, how quickly you recover from a standpoint of muscular fatigue but also energy levels.

I run a lot of races so do many mini-tapers that allow a few days to reenergize but do not hinder my overall training plan and goals.  For a few longer, "big" races a year I will taper about a week.  I've tried lounging around with minimal efforts during that week and that generally doesn't work for me.  I get tight and restless with a lethargic feeling come race day.  I'm better to keep intensities fairly high and back way off on the duration of workouts.

I also try to note how I feel the days after light and heavy workout days so I can better gauge how quickly I recover.  For my mini-tapers, I've honed in on a routine that I try to follow each time that is predictable for me.  It's taken some trial and error but if you know you have responded well with a given routine it takes some of the pressure off the unknown.

2013-04-16 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I always find that sticking to my normal routine is the best. Everything feels off if I rest too much or miss too many workouts and I will tighten up. My advice would be to simply reduce the duration (or distances) of your workouts. Nothing hard, just get out there to make sure you are loose and ready to go. A few strides at race pace never hurt anyone either just to get the pace in your head. Also remember better to get to the start line 10% undertrained and healthy than to get there 1% overtrained and injured.

I also second the "weird things will hurt" bit. Every race a knee or ankle or shoulder will suddenly SCREAM at me like it is injured, and then come race morning I'm fine.

Good Luck! and have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rules for Tapering? Rss Feed