danskin
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 11s
Overall Rank = 903/3620
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 137/379
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4 a.m. and had some toast with peanut butter and fresh fruit. I meant to leave at 4:30 a.m., but I was racing with another friend and she was a little slower to get going. We had a 25 minute drive (or so we thought) but we got caught in a major traffic jam getting to the remote parking location. We ended up getting to the race with less than 10 minutes to set up our transitions YIKES! After setting up transition, I had some water waited 30 minutes in a line for a porta potty then decided to just go "warm up" in the water (sorry, but yes I have no qualms in peeing in a lake!) Fifteen minutes before we started I shot a gel.
Event warmup:

Swam a little in the lake and practiced my calm relaxed breathing as well as a few pickups to get my blood moving.
Swim
  • 15m 57s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wasn't really focused on my swim because my friend who was in the wave with me was panicking! She is a relatively new swimmer and she had a bad experience in her first OWS at a tri and this swim looks really intimidating because you just go across a lake. The whole time we were being talked to by Sally Edwards, I was trying to convince her that she couldn't sink in her wet suit. Once the swim angel took over and promised to swim with her the whole way, I could then turn my attention to my race. From the very beginning of the swim, I felt comfortable and quickly found a comfortable freestyle. It was a little crowded in the beginning, but it didn't take long to find my own space. I didn't even try to draft because I was more comfortable having my own area without having to worry about passing. I started sighting every 10 strokes and that worked well for me. A few times I had to switch to breaststoke when somebody bumped into me, but overall I was freestyling the whole time. When I started catching the wave in front of me, I realized that I must be having a great swim!! About 3/4 of the way across the lake, I realized I had gone a little right so I then angled back left to the swim finish. When I checked my watch getting out I was SHOCKED! I've never swam 1/2 mile that fast in the pool let alone open water!!!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try to draft and not fear having someone else in my swimming space.
Transition 1
  • 03m 7s
Comments:

Coming out of the swin I jogged to my spot and was happy to find it easily among the confusion. This was my first time racing in cycling shoes and I found it really hard to walk fast in them (running? forget about it!) Also the transition area was huge and my bike was on the complete opposite side as the bike exit so just getting to the mounting area really slowed me down.

Arrive earlier to get a spot closer to the bike exit and learn to transition with my shoes attached to the pedals to avoid the ridiculous cycling shoe walk.
Bike
  • 43m 59s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.96 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a nice course and I really enjoyed riding it. I am SOO glad that I rode with my new shoes and pedals because I really think it helped me with my speed and efficiency. I felt strong the whole ride and I passed quite a few people but got passed a bit myself. I tried to keep a consistent pace and I tried to push my speed when I realized the effort was too easy. My shifting was good and I didn't have any problems on the hills. I never even got into my third chainring ... or whatever the little one on the front is called - the one I used to always have to use to get up a hill. The course was a little scary at times due to the sheer number of riders and having folks in front of me that were clustered together and at times moving erratically into my line. Several times I had to slow down because cyclists were so far to the left and I would have to let them know my intentions and give them plenty of time to move over so I could safely pass. This is a first timer race though, so I wasn't bothered at all by it and I didn't mind slowing down for safety because I didn't want to zoom close by someone screaming "on your left" because I know how scary that can be. I liked that aspect of the women's only event, everyone seemed very considerate. I also spent most of my time on my aero bars and I LOVED them! It was a great bike leg for me because it's the first time I've really enjoyed it ... and most importantly I didn't fall over when getting clipped out!!! I don't know if it was the shoes and pedals, aero bars, my comfort level with the bike or what but this was by far my best bike leg during a race.

I need a bike computer so I have some sense of how fast I'm going. Other than that I think I just need to "ride lots" which seems to be the advice all over these forums.
Transition 2
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Again, the cycling shoes are new so I haven't practiced riding with my feet on the top of the shoes. When I was trying to walk/ run with my cycling shoes ALL the way to the back end of transition area I was really wishing I had practiced this. Also I HAD to pee so that slowed me down. I was hoping I could just hold it but I knew there was no way a 5K was going to go well with that feeling. I was so frustrated but I just jumped in and out of the porta potty as fast as possible. Luckily I felt pretty quick getting my cycling shoes off and running shoes on.

Learn to get my feet out of the cycling shoes while riding and wish for a smaller bladder :)
Run
  • 30m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt AWESOME going into the run, I hit my normal running stride almost immediately so apparently those bricks paid off!! I started to slow down between miles 1 and 2 and then stepped it up the last mile. I felt some side pain towards the end and had a hard time bringing up my speed for the finish. I did walk through two aid stations long enough to drink my water. I saw my friend Misa on the out and back portion which really made me step it up at the end because I didn't want her to catch me :)

It seems to be a constant refrain ... but I need to push harder and learn to accept a little discomfort. I cooled down really quickly and realized I probably could have pushed a little more that last mile.
Post race
Warm down:

I just walked a bit and tried to get away from the overwhelming crowd at the finish, but I didn't go too far because I knew my friend was only a few minutes behind me. Later on (probably too much later) I was feeling stiff so I stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My only limitation is in my mind ... I need to learn to leave that "comfortable" race pace and move into the slightly uncomfortable zone.

Event comments:

This is a fabulous event and I would recommend it to any woman just starting out or looking for a "feel good" tri experience. I thought everything was well organized given the sheer numbers of racers and spectators, and though there was a line for just about everything ... racking bikes, porta potties, shuttle buses it seemed to move as smoothly as possible. The best thing was the comraderie among the participants, everybody was so supportive and encouraging - it's hard to even explain. And the community, what a fabulous community! People camped out in their front yards and along the route cheering the racers - that was a first for me! There were tons of volunteers and the course was well supported along the way. The best thing was the swim support - tons of lifeguards, docks positioned all along the swim, kayaks and the volunteer swim angels. My friend swam with a noodle and a swim angel by her side the whole race - where else would that have been allowed?? It built her confidence and allowed her to tear up the rest of the course and I'm sure many other women were able to conquer the open water swim as a result of the way this is organized. I am SOOO happy that I did this race, it was a fabulous racing experience and I was so happy that I was able to experience it with a friend who had an amazing experience as well.

Last updated: 2006-03-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:57 | 875 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/379
Overall: 932/3620
Performance: Good
Suit: tri tank and tri shorts
Course: Straight shot swim across Lake Andrea.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:59 | 12.43 miles | 16.96 mile/hr
Overall: 1081/3620
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: An out and back connected to a loop mainly on country roads. The course was closed to traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:24
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:30:41 | 03.11 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 1119/3620
Performance: Average
Course: Running path around Lake Andrea with a small out and back portion on a road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR
Subject: Danskin Chicagoland

2006-07-10 10:27 AM
in reply to: #477607

User image

Veteran
Iowa
Subject: RE: Danskin
That swim was AWESOME! WOW! Sounds like a really great race. You are fast becoming a seasoned triathlete. Keep it up!

2006-07-10 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Great report! Your times are awesome!!  I am guessing I was one of the people you passed hehee  I really enjoyed all three parts of the race, as well!  The course is a really nice one, I think.  YOu did great!  Again next year? (this was my first Danskin, and I definitely want to do it again!)
2006-07-10 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I just noticed you are in my age group, too.... what was your wave? ( i was in 21)
2006-07-10 11:24 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Sounds like you had a great race!
2006-07-10 5:26 PM
in reply to: #477623

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR

Lyoshka - 2006-07-10 10:41 AM I just noticed you are in my age group, too.... what was your wave? ( i was in 21)

I was right in front of you! Wave 20 with the pink caps

2006-07-10 5:40 PM
in reply to: #477622

User image

Regular
Little Rock, AR

Lyoshka - 2006-07-10 10:39 AM  Again next year? (this was my first Danskin, and I definitely want to do it again!)

One of our pregnant friends came along to watch and she wants to train for it next year so I promised I would do it with her! 

2006-07-10 5:50 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
great race
2006-07-10 9:19 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Cool!!!!!!!!!  Watching a race like this while pregnant is hard....I was pregnant last summer and watched a couple of friends and my MIL do the Naperville Reebok one...and i was SO itching to get back into the swing of things (Naperville was my very first tri 3 years ago).  I hope to put off baby #2 till late next summer, so I can do my triathlons hehe
2006-07-10 11:59 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
awesome job! what wave were you in???? i was in 19 with the yellow caps, and so was possum. you may have been in the same wave or the one just after. either way, we were close by. would have been great to meet you. glad you had such a fantastic race!
2006-08-14 9:59 PM

GennX,

Thanks for mentioning the Angels in the water...I completely forgot to put them in my own write-up of the race. A friend of my sisters & I (on Team Survivor) had an Angel with her as well and I think it's one of the great highlights of this race. Great job Genn and good luck next time around!

Reji (mswrites)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Chicagoland Rss Feed