Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-04-18 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4703584

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Couch to podium in 100 days

Im not sure if your logs are up to date but if they are I would simply suggest to pick a plan and stick to it, consistency and building a base is key.

Setting goals is very important but you also need to be sure that they are realistic and achievable. Im not saying that you cant end up on the podium but through training you may find that your goal is beyond reach which may really impact your enthusiasm for training.

2013-04-18 9:21 AM

User image

My logs are somewhat accurate... My real life goal is just to do as good as I can. Preferably
2013-04-18 9:48 AM

User image

Edited by corbetjackson50 2013-04-18 9:51 AM
2013-04-18 9:49 AM

User image

My logs are somewhat accurate... My real life goal is just to do as good as I can. Preferably better than mop. I plan on sticking to a 6 day a week plan. By July 1st I'd like to be pretty close to race day shape??? Id like to be able to "go strong" for a 90 minute brick and feel good??? Id like my race time to be 1hr 15minute ish. Based on last two yrs I'd need to be under 1:10 to make the podium.
2013-04-18 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4704070

User image

PinkPrincess - 2013-04-17 11:14 AM p>Depends on build. My boyfriend is 5'11" and would look skeletal and unhealthy at 170, forget 155. 

I have never seen a 5'11 dude look skeletal at 170...

My only input to the OP, podiums are not a good goal.  Your performance is a good goal.  If you sign up for the right (tiny and unpopular) race, and podium on a bad day, what does that tell you?

Figure out how fast you can swim, bike and run, and then set a goal.  Cross the finish line doing your best, not edging out #3 in your AG.

2013-04-18 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4705182

User image

Master
Salt Lake City

simpsonbo - 2013-04-18 6:02 AM Good to get familiar with OWS, & get comfortable. The best however do the hard work in the pool doing intervals, even the 10k marathon swimmers do the vast majority in the pool.

Important advice there.  I had the fitness to have a shot at the podium at my first tri but an epic OWS freakout caused me to have a 30 minute 750m swim and that was pretty much the end of it for me.

For what its worth, I don't see any problem with setting your goal to podium.  Don't make it your only expectation, and it is important to be realistic about what you can do but there isn't anything wrong with trying to win.  It is a race afterall.

2013-04-18 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4705468

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Most people NEVER get to the podium, and not for a lack of effort.  Working hard isn't an automatic path to the podium.  If that was the case, a lot of people would be on the podium and there are only 3 spots.

It's like saying "if I hit a million golf balls, will win the Masters?".  Sometimes work effort doesn't matter.  You may NEVER get there because of some limitation.

Not saying you CAN'T get on the podium.  I have been there several times and no one looking at me would think I was some elite triathlete.  Far from the case.  But working hard over 100 days is not an automatic.

I would concentrate doing as well as you absolutely can.  If the snags you a medal?  Great, if not, you can see where you may need to focus your training for future races.

2013-05-24 11:33 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Update:
Well the podium is looking further away than i would have hoped at this point. Im going to keep at it as hard as i can. I had a two weeks that were pretty much a bust one working 20hrs a day and another week my wife was quite ill. Take what life dishes out and keep trucking. I am getting better but with my race at 64 days away the podium is not looking likely i was hooking.to be.further along in my training by now. I really need to focus on the swim j think because i can only swim 100yards non stop before Im ready to take a small break. Im sure i could go further in an ows because i have to. Also with my swim being around 900 yards it is something i need to work on!
2013-05-24 4:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm glad you are looking at this with more sober eyes now.

I was reading through this thread thinking that it was an insult to those who have dedicated themselves for years and years to get to the podium. For a person to sign up for their first race with 3 months of training and assuming they will beat everybody just because they "Want to" is pretty naive.

Hard work
Patience
Dedication
Knowledge

Those are what are required to make a champion.

http://triathlontrainingupdates-shaun.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-d...

Start at section 4.

Edited by lifejustice 2013-05-24 4:07 PM
2013-05-24 4:09 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Regular
Originally posted by thebigb

corbetjackson50 - 2013-04-17 8:53 AM Thanks for the tips guys! It is a small race at around 100-200 people. It is a short hilly course with a slightly longer swim leg. .54 swim, 9.1 bike with close to 1000' of climb, and 2.6 run also very hilly. I realize I may not make the podium but like I said I set high goals and am very competitive. I am not in terrible shape, just no endurance. Im 5'11" 170lbs i feal like my body is in decent shape its my heart, lungs, and diet that need the most work.

Time to lose 15 lbs if you have your heart set on podiums.

Dude!!!

You are saying that I am going to have to lose ANOTHER 35 lbs!!!! I am 5'11 and 190.
2013-05-24 5:01 PM
in reply to: lifejustice

User image

Originally posted by lifejustice

I'm glad you are looking at this with more sober eyes now.

I was reading through this thread thinking that it was an insult to those who have dedicated themselves for years and years to get to the podium. For a person to sign up for their first race with 3 months of training and assuming they will beat everybody just because they "Want to" is pretty naive.

Hard work
Patience
Dedication
Knowledge

Those are what are required to make a champion.

http://triathlontrainingupdates-shaun.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-to-d...

Start at section 4.

if the race was tomorrow i would place first in my age group as Im the only one lol. I would never even think i could get on The podium of a larger race. Last year i want to say there were 7 in my age group with about 120 total people. I don't expect a big turnout this year because a larger Olympic race is the week before.

2013-05-24 8:36 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Focus on developing skills and fitness now, and don't worry about podium. If you have the ability and are consistent and sensible with your training, that will come with time. That being said, if you want to have the best chance of it so you can later brag, "I podiumed in my first tri," choose a small, local race (and make sure the locality doesn't have a lot of world class athletes)! I was second overall in my first tri, but....it was a small race in Vietnam with maybe 70 people overall and about 25 or 30 women. I have a big swim and run background (HS swimming, master's swim, HS and college cross-country, Olympic Trials marathon qualifier) and at the time was in pretty good shape for both. But I had very little biking experience or training and pretty much left it all on the bike (to top it off, it was mostly off-road, my MTB skills are awful, and I crashed in sand dunes several times). I had little left for the run, nearly had to walk the last half mile of a 5K, and was unable to pass the woman in first. So let that be a lesson--tris are a lot tougher than they seem, it's never "only" 5K, and be sure to pace yourself!

Plus ditto on what others have said about the swim. For me it's usually a non-issue (unless I freak out about really cold water), but for many triathletes and potential triathletes it can be a deal-breaker. You really need to focus on building the confidence and fitness to safely complete the distance. If you end up panicking or unable to finish, podium is out of the question.

Edited by Hot Runner 2013-05-24 8:43 PM
2013-05-24 9:31 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Thanks for all of the advice and encouragement! Like i said Im not where i want to be fitness wise when i started this thread but i have been making pretty.good improvement in all three disciplines. I am getting excited and nervous about my race and already look forward to my next! I wish there were more nearby that.were not sprints with pool swims.
2013-05-25 5:08 AM
in reply to: corbetjackson50

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by corbetjackson50 Update: Well the podium is looking further away than i would have hoped at this point. Im going to keep at it as hard as i can. I had a two weeks that were pretty much a bust one working 20hrs a day and another week my wife was quite ill. Take what life dishes out and keep trucking. I am getting better but with my race at 64 days away the podium is not looking likely i was hooking.to be.further along in my training by now. I really need to focus on the swim j think because i can only swim 100yards non stop before Im ready to take a small break. . Also with my swim being around 900 yards it is something i need to work on!

This is one of the more ludicrous statements I've read on BT lately. 

If you can only do 100 yds in the pool you have no business attempting a 900 yd OWS and would pose a potential hazard to not only yourself, but to your fellow competitors.

Do yourself a favor and put your ego in your back pocket and go pay your dues by properly preparing before attempting to do a race.

Mark

2013-05-25 6:32 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by corbetjackson50 Update: Well the podium is looking further away than i would have hoped at this point. Im going to keep at it as hard as i can. I had a two weeks that were pretty much a bust one working 20hrs a day and another week my wife was quite ill. Take what life dishes out and keep trucking. I am getting better but with my race at 64 days away the podium is not looking likely i was hooking.to be.further along in my training by now. I really need to focus on the swim j think because i can only swim 100yards non stop before Im ready to take a small break. . Also with my swim being around 900 yards it is something i need to work on!

If you can only do 100 yds in the pool you have no business attempting a 900 yd OWS and would pose a potential hazard to not only yourself, but to your fellow competitors.

Do yourself a favor and put your ego in your back pocket and go pay your dues by properly preparing before attempting to do a race.

Mark

thanks for the encouragement mark.... I can swim further than that easily. I should have said something along the lines of: When i swim my fastest ( under 1:30 for 100yards Im ready to slow it down a notch or take two deep breaths and continue on at that pace. I have no fears of not being to complete the swim. I just don't know that i Will be near the front of the pack. Ill post back here with results after the race. The people who doubt only make me.work harder :-)
2013-05-25 9:41 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by corbetjackson50

Mark

thanks for the encouragement mark.... I can swim further than that easily. I should have said something along the lines of: When i swim my fastest ( under 1:30 for 100yards Im ready to slow it down a notch or take two deep breaths and continue on at that pace. I have no fears of not being to complete the swim. I just don't know that i Will be near the front of the pack. Ill post back here with results after the race. The people who doubt only make me.work harder :-)

Here's a thought:  Go swim 900yds non-stop in your pool before you attempt your OWS.  Might give you some idea of where you are fitness-wise and what pace you will actually be able to sustain for the entire race distance.  One of the most common errors made by beginners is to go out too fast on the swim.  If you spike your HR and breathing in the first few hundred yards you're in for a long and miserable day.   Even better, go do some actual OWS practice before your race.

Mark

2013-05-25 11:39 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Mark

Here's a thought:  Go swim 900yds non-stop in your pool before you attempt your OWS.  Might give you some idea of where you are fitness-wise and what pace you will actually be able to sustain for the entire race distance.  One of the most common errors made by beginners is to go out too fast on the swim.  If you spike your HR and breathing in the first few hundred yards you're in for a long and miserable day.   Even better, go do some actual OWS practice before your race.

Mark

my parents have waterfront property where i can practice ows when it warms up a bit. I plan on measuring off 450 yards so i can practice the 900 yard distance.
2013-07-27 8:51 PM

User image

Well today was the day. After my wife coming down with illness and me getting a new job I kind of just forgot all about the podium. Life wished out a reality check if you will. Going into the race I had not even swam half the race distance non stop or any open water swim practice. This is what hurt me the most. I ended up in 4th in my age group and missed the podium by 1:46. which should have been made up on the or run even with my crappy swim. I had a lot of gas in the tank still when I finished as i pretty much decided to run my own race and not worry about times,podium, other people etc. I had a blast and don't have any regrets. But i keep telling myself I should have had 3rd if i left it all out on the course, and even 2nd if I had done the swim training originally planned.

2013-07-28 8:23 AM

Well today was the day. After my wife coming down with illness and me getting a new job I kind of just forgot all about the podium. Life wished out a reality check if you will. Going into the race I had not even swam half the race distance non stop or any open water swim practice. This is what hurt me the most. I ended up in 4th in my age group and missed the podium by 1:46. which should have been made up on the or run even with my crappy swim. I had a lot of gas in the tank still when I finished as i pretty much decided to run my own race and not worry about times,podium, other people etc. I had a blast and don't have any regrets. But i keep telling myself I should have had 3rd if i left it all out on the course, and even 2nd if I had done the swim training originally planned.

Impressive showing for subpar preparation! Keep it up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couch to podium in 100 days Rss Feed  

of 2