General Discussion Race Reports! » South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
st. louis, Missouri
United States
Fleet Feet
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 7s
Overall Rank = 24/130
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

We're still out of oatmeal at home! I know.... can you believe it? So I had some trusty Frosted Mini Wheats, and packed a pb&j sammich. I had most of my stuff loaded up the night before, so I just headed out the course ridiculously early. I got there at 6 for my 8:30 start. :)

I wouldn't call it a routine, but it's worth mentioning that I was relaxed enough the night before to go out to a friend's bbq and stay long enough to watch the Spinks/Karmazin fight. It was a great time. I had a couple beers, played some washers, downed 2 brats and some cookies, among other things. I was happy and relaxed... and that goes a long ways, I think.
Event warmup:

I can't justify riding or running around much before a sprint when the weather is as warm as it is, AND I have to swim first anyway. I figure, I'll be plenty warm!
Swim
  • 07m 45s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was very happy with my swim time. I really stayed within my capabilities and performed well there. Nothing blazing fast, but I'm proud of that effort.
There were about 30 people in my swim wave (8 lanes with 4 swimmers each). My wife kept track and saw that the first 6 people out of the water were women! Then there was a couple guys, a few more girls, and then me. I was #11. I'm basically ecstatic to be in the top 1/3rd of the wave.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I didn't go slower than I should have!
Transition 1
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

Time is approximate... off my watch.
Had a very nice transition. Remember those girls who got out of the water before me? That didn't last long for them. It baffles me that people don't use the Transitions as a time to cover ground quickly. Free speed! In the very short space from the pool to the bike racks, I passed 3 people.
I was into my bike shoes with my helmet and glasses on practically without even thinking. I got up some pretty good run speed before doing the flying jump onto the bike. Got clipped in immediately, and I was off!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 31m 30s
  • 10.9 miles
  • 20.76 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm frustrated that they don't keep splits for the 3 legs. There's no way to compare your events to others. That's a huge letdown, to me.

But anyway, I just set a goal to keep an average around 20mph for the bike portion. I knew it was doable because the majority of the course is flat. Just a couple decent hills at the beginning and end.
I passed a few people occassionally on this section. But it was hard to tell if those folks were in my wave, or if they were making their second loop. So I didn't give it much thought, and just kept spinning away and staying as aero as my road bike will let me. Attack mode was in full force for this one. Kept a 21.3mph average at the halfway point of the bike leg. I knew that would set me up for a good split, even if the way back was tougher. Merely one person passed me on the bike. He was THAT GUY. The guy with the fancy bike, black disc wheels, and a tear-drop shaped helmet. He was flying!
The turnaround spots were great places to pass people. They would slow down way to early, and not dig hard out of the turn. I took advantage of those spots very well. On one turn, though, I was cutting it tight and my rear wheel slipped on some gravel a little bit and slid out. It scared the little old man at the turnaround more than it scared me. "you had me scared for you there, son." he was a nice gentleman. :)
The only other action on the bike was the girl who drafted me for about 2 miles. I passed her at a turnaround, and then she passed me back... only to slow down below 19mph. That was annoying, so I immediately overtook her again. And this time, she stuck with me, no more that 2 bike lengths back. Obviously she wasn't worried about a penalty, but she was in a position that I would be very nervous about. I kept looking back every 30 seconds, checking on her. There she was. I was tempted to say something. Maybe a "drop or pass!" But I didn't. Instead, I just turned up the spped and left her behind. Good times!

Nothing. But I did do something different than my first race. I didn't take any sugary drinks or gels. I only had a cup of water or so, and I was just fine!
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Had a smooth transition.
Best part was a note that my wife left me on the towel. What a boost that was!!

Be nicer to the oblivious lady... maybe. and that's a big maybe.

She was just strolling in the TA chatting with some buddies - walking 3 abreast *rolls eyes*, right at the very edge of the racks, where people are like to be entering and leaving. She got a couple stern, "get outta the way" barks. What can I say, she was stealing my free speed!!
Run
  • 19m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

The hills were tough and plentiful. No doubt about it. Around every single corner, there was a volunteer helping the racers stay on course, and I swear each one of them said, "Up the hill and to your right. Good job." All of them. That's right, this course boasts the world's only 100% uphill run. Or maybe I exaggerate slighly. You'll never know.
I enjoyed the scenery of the run. It reminded me of some of the courses I ran in high school. Lots of ponds and trees, roots and rocks, sharp turns, and dangerous descents.
At one particular corner, there was a permanent metal sign that read "free manure" which was right next to the volunteer who was making sure nobody cut the corner. As I ran up the hill towards her, she gave me a, "Good job! Keep it up." I simply replied, "Oh, I'm just here for the free manure (as I pointed to the sign overhead), where do I pick it up?" Hilarity ensued.
I was happy that there were a couple water stations along the run. I was able to get a couple sips in my mouth, and it really hit the spot since I didn't bother with the gel flask/water bottle. I was just fine without it on such a short course.
On the final stretch of the run, Soozy cheered for me, and I picked up the pace at that point, to finish very strong. Thanks! She was hauling ass on the bike, by the way.

I probably could have let the 'ol ticker crank up a few more beats throughout the run, but I was in a pretty good grove, so I left well-enough alone.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around in search of wife and water. I kept a close eye on the results as they came in, and did some stretching as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just overall fitness level. That will come with lots of training. But generally, I performed very close the very best of my abilities.

Event comments:

They gave away a brand new Specialized Allez road bike valued at about $1,000. That was awesome, except that some Ironman guy won it, who already has a $3 trillion bike.
I'm still very annoyed that they don't keep splits, because then I have nothing to obsess over when the race is done.
I had a great morning, and really enjoyed this race. Volunteers apenty were such a huge help. They were a really large part of this event. Nice stuff!

Last updated: 2006-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:45 | 400 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/130
Performance: Average
My HR was more in check this time around. It was closer to 90-100 rather than the 140 at the last race. that makes a huge difference!
Suit:
Course: 50m outdoor pool. lane shared with 3 other swimmers.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:30 | 10.9 miles | 20.76 mile/hr
HR was 164 average here. That was a good level of effort for me so that I could run more easily than in my first tri.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back style, with a couple loops in the middle, as the meat and potatos of the course. Cops had some streets monitored. Volunteers controlled other areas. Turning around a cone 4 times kills momentum!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:39 | 03 miles | 06m 33s  min/mile
HR average was 161 here. No marked mileage
Course: Tough hills right out of TA. Cross country most of the time through shaded park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 11:24 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon

2006-07-10 1:45 PM
in reply to: #477707

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon
Sounds like a good race you had there. I wish you were in the neighborhood, cuz I think we are fairly similar in swim and bike times, and you would pull me along in the run !!
2006-07-10 1:49 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO

Sweet. Where are you putting all this hardware?

I love that you keep a sense of humor throughout! That keeps you grounded and reminds us all why we do this - for FUN!

Congrats on another great race!

2006-07-10 4:12 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
It was really fun to read your report! Sounds like we both saw some drafting. I don't know if it was just people who didn't know better, or what. I thought the same thing about the guy who won the bike! Like he needed it! Did you see the family that had the mom, dad and one of their daughters and they all won a place in their Age group? Cool family. Great report, great race!
2006-07-10 4:20 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Oh yeah, and I too was really bummed about the lack of splits. I didn't really worry about my watch because I thought I could get the splits off the final results. Duh. The guy I was chasing when I passed you on your run was "the drafter"!

I cant wait 'til we all do a race together (you know, the Elite BT STL Posse) because it is so fun to compare notes on the RR. I am a convert to Race reports! I will never do another event without one!

Edited by soozey 2006-07-10 4:21 PM
2006-07-11 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Thanks for the props, all!

I'm glad you enjoyed reading it. I really like writing about these events. Short of having a camera, it's the greatest way to preserve memories.

Ballwin here we come!

~B

2006-07-13 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
2006-07-13 1:30 PM

User image

St. Louis, MO
Great pic! I just noticed something--you are always in red. I realized I was always in blue--(helmet, socks, gloves, shirt) I was even accused of coordinating my race clothes at South County. It's just a coincidence, I swear! (but you gotta look good...)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South County YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed