Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-04-17 11:23 AM

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Subject: Women should not run

Hello BT,

Stumbled across this article and I'm curious as to what you think of it.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

What I thought after reading the article:

- If you think that cardio is the main ingredient that will help you lose weight, then you don't know anything about weight loss to begin with.

I’ve tried to rescue her from the clutches of cardio in the past, but my efforts didn’t work until a month ago, when she called to tell me that a blood test had confirmed her doctor’s suspicion: She had hypothyroidism, meaning her body no longer made enough thyroid hormone.

+

Her metabolism had slowed to a snail’s pace, and the fat was accumulating. This was her body rebelling. When Jessica asked for my advice, I told her to do two things: To schedule a second test for two weeks later, and to stop all the goddamned running until then.

- Hyperthyroidism accelerates your metabolism, see http://www.thyroid.org/weight-loss-and-thyroid/

- If you think that the body considers running a "stressful, useless activity" then I have to wonder how you ever got a Master's degree in any field. Running is more or less the only sport that actually makes sense for humans.

There seems to be a lot of cherry-picking information and not factoring in lots of important aspects, but article like these get super popular and give fat, lazy people an excuse not to run.

So what do you think BT, am I wrong about the article or what's going on?

2013-04-17 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4704091

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Women should not run

I have a friend that does Bella Nutra and their coaches tell them that endurance training causes hypothyroidism and they are discouraged from running or training for endurance sports.  I really have no other info to add.  Just that this isn't the 1st time I've heard that.  I don't believe it.

jami

2013-04-17 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Exercise is a competitive threat to their business.  Money can make people say stupid, um, stuff (so it doesn't get censored). 
2013-04-17 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
You lost me at "Women should not..." It makes for great clickbaiting for the author, but go to any race with dedicated runners and see who's there and how terrible running is for all of them.

Edited by WoodrowCall 2013-04-17 11:43 AM
2013-04-17 11:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa
Not only the premise that running causes hypothyroidism sounds like BS, just by seeing the author's demeanor and the way he responds to questions and challenging information by others, takes his credibility away. In part of the article he may be referencing what happens when the body goes in starvation mode, but citing how people do not fuel their bodies correctly when trying to lose weight and using that to say running is detrimental is totally crazy.
2013-04-17 11:44 AM

I have never seen a study that concluded running at any level is a cause of hyperthyroidism.  More likely is that the introduction of excessive running caused stress levels in the individual to increase which can have an adverse effect on the thyroid and hormone production.  Anyone with an ounce of intelligence can do the "eat less, move more" calculation and see that some amount of cardio is better than none for weight loss purposes.  However "weight loss" is a terrible indicator for someone trying to lose weight when including exercise as part of the regime (muscle weighs more than fat....).

2013-04-17 11:47 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
The article is specifically talking about figure competition, and based on my experience with the sport is dead on.  I NEVER EVER ran.  Closer to a show, I would walk on the inclined treadmill for 45 minutes 5 days a week, but NEVER EVER anything with high intensity.  It's not worth the loss of muscle.  So, in the context of bodybuilders (which is what a figure competitor IS), I agree with almost everything he said.
2013-04-17 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4704120

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
mcmanusclan5 - 2013-04-17 10:38 AM
Exercise is a competitive threat to their business. 

Agree.

Also, I have to laugh at the "yes-no machines—the adductor and abductor units" reference.
2013-04-17 11:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

hmmmm. I am borderline hypothyroid, and I have never really been a 'cardio' person in the past and I have gained some weight training (since the beginning of this year) but I am thinking it has to be because I am taking in too many calories- I would find it hard to believe my training is mysteriously packing the pounds....

Listening to a Paleo podcast by Sarah Fragoso & Jason Seib- they seem to be completely against running or endurance sports. I really wanted to like them but after they said something along the likes of you really don't have to eat fruit and veggies just eat meat I stopped listening. Not sure if this is 'All things Paleo's' outlook or not.

I have a rebellious streak and am busting my tail to prove them wrong!!

That being said - I have lost weight & inches in the past way easier lifting weights doing only short (20 minutes a day or less) interval work for cardio.

Oh well, I am not just doing this to loose weight- I want to be fit and keep my heart healthy and I am really enjoying the training :-) Plus- I want to be a triathlete!!

2013-04-17 11:49 AM
in reply to: #4704120

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Most mornings when I'm at the gym at 5am and running on a treadmill, there's an ad that pops up on the TV a few times that says something to the effect of: "are you overweight?  Well it's not your fault.  Take this pill and you'll lose the weight".  I can't help but think, "are you overweight?  Then get your butt out of bed and get on the treadmill next to me.  And, by the way, eat less".

Sorry - I know there are people out there with real medical issues and it truly isn't their fault they've gained weight and I apologize if I've offended anyone here.  But those commercials really annoy me.  Seems symbolic of our culture as a whole - take the easy way out and don't take personal responsibility.

Off my soapbox now Wink

2013-04-17 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

The link reminds me of a paper I wrote in grade 3.  It was supposed to be a research paper on butterflies, but I wrote about how beautiful they were.    

2013-04-17 11:53 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I had to look.  I couldn't help myself.

First of all, even though the author stresses multiple times that men are "guilty" of too much cardio too, the main issue I have with this article is that it is criticizing cardio for not being a good "fat losing" choice and not getting women beach-body ready.

I know that is a main motivator for some women but not all, and the repeated assumption (often by men) that women workout to achieve a certain aesthetic is sexism at some of its finest. 

From the article:

They’re the women who run for an hour or more every day on the treadmill, setting new distance and/or time goals every week and month. Maybe they’re just interested in their treadmill workouts, maybe they’re training for their fifth fund-raising marathon, or maybe they’re even competing against runners in Finland via some Nike device...She’s still fat. Actually, she’s gotten fatter.

And

This “cardio craze” is a form of insanity, and it’s on my hit list. I’m determined to kill it. There are better ways to lose fat, and there are better ways to look good. Your bikini body is not at the end of a marathon, and you won’t find it on a treadmill. In fact, it’s quite the opposite if you’re using steady-state cardio to get there. The show may be over, and the finish line crossed, but the damage to your metabolism has just begun.

Don’t want to stop running? Fine. Then stop complaining about how the fat won’t come off your hips, thighs, and . You’re keeping it there.

OK, so I disagree with the author's focus on "bikini body" goals for women.  There are plenty of women logging mile on that treadmill because they're running races, doing tris, and cross-training for other sports.  They're body composition might be just fine for their sport--yeah, that other reason women train, for PERFORMANCE! Not all women can achieve or want to achieve BF in the teens.

He's also setting up a false dichotomy.  Just because you do long cardio sessions, doesn't mean you don't do other things too.

That being said, there is some truth to the author's fat-loss, muscle-loss and metabolism claims.  If you want to lose fat, and have a fast metabolism, maintaining lean mass should be a priority.

Body composition, and ideal body composition for various sports is an interesting topic.  But, to the OP, there are always going to be excuses to not run--for all body types.  I might even argue that for people with lots to lose, high impact cardio like running, may not be the best choice, even though it has a very efficient caloric burn/minute.

Edited by switch 2013-04-17 11:58 AM
2013-04-17 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4704160

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
switch - 2013-04-17 8:53 AM  I might even argue that for people with lots to lose, high impact cardio like running, may not be the best choice, even though it has a very efficient caloric burn/minute.

I'd never argue that. If someone is hugely overweight I'd never suggest running but would recommend cycling instead. Swimming is excellent too, but it's incredibly easy to not actually do anything to raise your heart rate while swimming but still 'swim' and move forward.

2013-04-17 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4704171

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Dnn - 2013-04-17 11:59 AM
switch - 2013-04-17 8:53 AM  I might even argue that for people with lots to lose, high impact cardio like running, may not be the best choice, even though it has a very efficient caloric burn/minute.

I'd never argue that. If someone is hugely overweight I'd never suggest running but would recommend cycling instead. Swimming is excellent too, but it's incredibly easy to not actually do anything to raise your heart rate while swimming but still 'swim' and move forward.

+1 on the swimming.  It takes quite a bit for swimming to be exercise.

For clinically and morbidly obese patients, I think walking and diet restriction is the way to go.  Weight bearing and weight transference exercise does quite a bit for this group, and it's simple--no equipment, no memberships = fewer excuses.

2013-04-17 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4704171

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Dnn - 2013-04-17 11:59 AM

People with lots of weight to lose should focus on diet.   The exercise part of it has other benefits, but diet will be where the most "gains" will be.  And I caveat this with the assumption that there are no serious health issues. 

On a somewhat related note, endurance sports also drive testosterone down in men, but strangely does not reduce the sex drive.  I have no reason to say this other than its funny.

2013-04-17 12:40 PM

User image

Sylvania, Ga
Sweet, at least now I won't get chicked.

2013-04-17 12:46 PM

Veteran
Tennessee

Having a baby can also trigger hypothyroidism. Should women stop having babies? I don't thinks so.

2013-04-17 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4704145

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

mehaner - 2013-04-17 10:47 AM The article is specifically talking about figure competition, and based on my experience with the sport is dead on.  I NEVER EVER ran.  Closer to a show, I would walk on the inclined treadmill for 45 minutes 5 days a week, but NEVER EVER anything with high intensity.  It's not worth the loss of muscle.  So, in the context of bodybuilders (which is what a figure competitor IS), I agree with almost everything he said.

^^Agreed.

He is speaking from a bikini or figure competition standpoint and he is right. My wife is a bikini competitor and she is strictly forbidden from running. Makes the butt sag, burns the muscle she works so hard to get and doesn't do as much for fat loss. 

Sorry to say it but take a look around at your fellow spandex clad triathletes at your next race, triathlon does not make a body look good. Triathlon is not the way to a "hard beach body". It may be the way to a fit cardiovascular system but it does not create hard bodies. 

I personally know a woman who has completed 3 IM's and to be honest she really didn't look that good. She ate well and trained hard and finished her IM's well but she didn't have a great body and had more body fat that you would think she would after training for IM. She switched sports for a season and decided to train for a bikini competition, she cut out all the running, biking and swimming and switched to walking, slow stair climbing and lifting and she lost all her unwanted body fat and toned up big time in less than 6 months. 

Now obviously triathletes don't train to look good, they train to be faster and to go longer. But if you want to "look good" or have a nice swimsuit body, triathlon is not the best approach. So in his article the woman was running to lose weight and look good, the running was not the best way to get what she wanted.

2013-04-17 1:20 PM

hard to run in the kitchen isnt it?

/ i keeeeed

2013-04-17 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4704293

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Aarondb4 - 2013-04-17 1:12 PM

mehaner - 2013-04-17 10:47 AM The article is specifically talking about figure competition, and based on my experience with the sport is dead on.  I NEVER EVER ran.  Closer to a show, I would walk on the inclined treadmill for 45 minutes 5 days a week, but NEVER EVER anything with high intensity.  It's not worth the loss of muscle.  So, in the context of bodybuilders (which is what a figure competitor IS), I agree with almost everything he said.

^^Agreed.

He is speaking from a bikini or figure competition standpoint and he is right. My wife is a bikini competitor and she is strictly forbidden from running. Makes the butt sag, burns the muscle she works so hard to get and doesn't do as much for fat loss. 

Sorry to say it but take a look around at your fellow spandex clad triathletes at your next race, triathlon does not make a body look good. Triathlon is not the way to a "hard beach body". It may be the way to a fit cardiovascular system but it does not create hard bodies. 

I personally know a woman who has completed 3 IM's and to be honest she really didn't look that good. She ate well and trained hard and finished her IM's well but she didn't have a great body and had more body fat that you would think she would after training for IM. She switched sports for a season and decided to train for a bikini competition, she cut out all the running, biking and swimming and switched to walking, slow stair climbing and lifting and she lost all her unwanted body fat and toned up big time in less than 6 months. 

Now obviously triathletes don't train to look good, they train to be faster and to go longer. But if you want to "look good" or have a nice swimsuit body, triathlon is not the best approach. So in his article the woman was running to lose weight and look good, the running was not the best way to get what she wanted.

Tri body and "beach body" (aka, low fat + muscle) are not necessarily mutually exclusive

(all photos are of Corinne Abraham):

2013-04-17 1:30 PM

User image

New user
I read this too.  From what I have seen in actual research this is true for only the very extreme endurance athletes.  IE professionals putting in 40+ hours of training per week.  Some of them have been diagnosed and treated for hypothyroidism.  Maybe it is something for them to be concerned about but not for the 99.99% of the rest of us.

2013-04-17 1:34 PM

User image

New user
Aarondb4 - 2013-04-17 2:12 PM

^^Agreed.

I don't know what IM's you have been going to but I see some pretty rock solid bodies there

2013-04-17 1:39 PM

Master
, California

- Hyperthyroidism accelerates your metabolism, see http://www.thyroid.org/weight-loss-and-thyroid/

Not to get away from the discussion, but don't confuse hyper (what you said) and hypo (what the article mentioned).  They mean the opposite.

2013-04-17 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Dnn - 2013-04-17 12:23 PM

Hello BT,

Stumbled across this article and I'm curious as to what you think of it.

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/5343/why-women-should-not-run/

What I thought after reading the article:

- If you think that cardio is the main ingredient that will help you lose weight, then you don't know anything about weight loss to begin with.

I’ve tried to rescue her from the clutches of cardio in the past, but my efforts didn’t work until a month ago, when she called to tell me that a blood test had confirmed her doctor’s suspicion: She had hypothyroidism, meaning her body no longer made enough thyroid hormone.

+

Her metabolism had slowed to a snail’s pace, and the fat was accumulating. This was her body rebelling. When Jessica asked for my advice, I told her to do two things: To schedule a second test for two weeks later, and to stop all the goddamned running until then.

- If you think that the body considers running a "stressful, useless activity" then I have to wonder how you ever got a Master's degree in any field. Running is more or less the only sport that actually makes sense for humans.

There seems to be a lot of cherry-picking information and not factoring in lots of important aspects, but article like these get super popular and give fat, lazy people an excuse not to run.

So what do you think BT, am I wrong about the article or what's going on?

No one notices this? The article (and I am not saying the premise is in any way accurate), is that HYPOthyroidism results in slowing of metabolism - which it does. The OP is confusing this immediately with HYPERthyroidism, which is, in fact the opposite thing. HYPO means underactive, HYPER means overactive.

And just to help make things confusing, the best screening test for over or underactive thryoid is TSH - thyroid stimulating hormone. Too high of a TSH means your thryoid is UNDERACTIVE, and too low means you likely have hyperthroidism. It has to do with the feedback loops between your thyoid (which produces a couple types of thyroid hormone) and the pituitary (which regulates how much TSH it makes based on levels of the thyroid hormones it detects - assuming there is no abnormality of the pitutiary itself).

ETA - spudone must have been posting while I was composing. So, yeah - what he said.

Edited by gearboy 2013-04-17 1:42 PM
2013-04-17 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Aarondb4 - 2013-04-17 2:12 PM

^^Agreed.

My office software is blocking the article but as a former figure competitor and current runner, I wanted to chime in on this.

When I did figure competing, like Mehaner, I was swayed away from running or any intense cardio to avoid loss of muscle.  The main training tool I implemented to prep for these shows was a very strict diet.  I weight trained more often but not necessarily with heavier load or more intensity.  My cardio was down to a dull roar.  I dropped to about 10% body fat.  Beach body?  I think most people outside of the bodybuilding world, people that knew me or didn't know me and just decided to comment anyway thought I looked like a "ripped twig".  Those who were honest admitted it wasn't a great look.  I'm lanky to begin with and being 10% bf for me equals no butt, no chest, looking like a need to eat a pizza or two.

I got away from that lifestyle and went back to about 18-20% body fat which was normal for me at the time but I yearned to find that balance between 10% and 20%.  I eventually stumbled onto running.  Eating a much more moderate, clean but not "bodybuilder" diet, plus keeping some of the weights, plus running as my main source of cardio equaled me looking the best I ever had.  I hit and stuck with 15-16% body fat which left me really lean, yet not looking twiggy and got my butt looking the best it ever had.  Comments from friends and family were that it was the best my physique had ever looked.

When I look around at triathlons, I see a variety of physiques from beach-y to average to overweight; but I see about the same ratio when I'm teaching group fitness class, or watching cross-fit, or checking out the people in the free weights.  I think that depends on so MANY more variables than just whether or not running is part of the woman's routine.

Different things work for different people when it comes to sculpting the body, lifting the butt, shaping the legs and arms, etc.  To say that running will  push all or even most women further away from having a magazine cover body is complete poo.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Women should not run Rss Feed  

of 2