General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironcare Splash n Dash #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ironcare Splash n Dash #1 - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
4 Peaks Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 34s
Overall Rank = 47/101
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/15
Pre-race routine:

As this was on a weekday late afternoon, much of my day was spent at work. Thus, my pre-race routine was quite simple. I showed up at the race site (still having not signed up), and registered, waffling between the swim-only and splash-n-dash options (due to my ab injury). I finally decided on the splash n dash and got registered, then put my gear down in a good spot in transition. I sat in one of the underpass tunnels to stay out of the sun and listened to music as I waited for a good time to don the new TYR Hurricane sleeveless wetsuit.
Event warmup:

After getting my wetsuit on, I got into the water with about 7 minutes to spare before the race started, and swam a bit to warm up and get acclimated to the water temp (which was pretty nice).
Swim
  • 30m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

I used this swim as a test of a few things: 1) the new wetsuit, its feel and performance, 2) testing out my abs to see how a swim would affect them, 3) my sighting in Tempe Town Lake, which typically sucks (but shouldn't), and 4) the water temp at the lake, in prep for the upcoming weekend's Leadman race.

When the horn went off, I was back from the start buyos about 10-15 feet (by design), and just started swimming in clear water. I stayed on the inside of the course as we headed west to the first turn buoy, and felt I had good form and a smooth, consistent stroke going. I made the turn with no problems and then the 2nd turn to get to the long leg east. I felt my sighting was going well as I had clear vision of the buoys all the way and never found myself off course as has happened in the past.

As I completed the first loop I think I slowed down, as the second loop things felt like they took longer. Getting to the first turn on the 2nd loop felt longer, and when I was back on the long east-bound leg I almost took the mid-point buoy for the turn buoy, until I was upon it and realized where I was. Again, my sighting was better than normal, although on the second loop I did start to leak right, as is common with my swim stroke. A little adjustment here and there was all the was needed - no major corrections as I find are common with me.

The last 50-100 meters seemed to take forever. I kept thinking I was going past the dock and ramp (the sun was in our eyes so I did not have good vision), and when I pulled up once to sight, a kayak immediately told me I had a little more to go. Once I found the ramp and swam up to it, things slowed down (as they do for everyone), as I had to find the retaining wall and step over it before I had solid footing and could walk up the ramp.
What would you do differently?:

I think I need to take one of these splash n dash races and just go all-out on the swim to see what happens. I tend to fell like I slow down to conserve energy, and wonder what would happen if I purposely pushed my shoulders harder for the whole swim distance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Transition went faster than I expected. I got my wetsuit off rather quickly, and had my running shoes on (no socks for this short of a race) and threw on a t-shirt to run in as I passed through transition.

Nothing - this was fairly quick and I had no issues.
Run
  • 24m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This was going to be the real test - would me ab pain kick in or could I make it 5K without much issue? As I left transition I tried to get into a solid rhythm and just pace well, but my legs felt a bit heavy. My abs were tight and uncomfortable, but not hurting to slow me down. I began passing people constantly (meaning my swim is slower than average), and was only passed by 2 people for the entire run portion.

I felt like my abs kept me from really opening up my stride, but I still managed a 93rpm cadence average, which is faster than my normal training average of 91-92, so I guess I had good foot turnover.

I need a longer stride to gain more speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a few cookies and talked with Bill Gilbertson, who was there watching, then I gathered my gear and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I assume my ongoing abdominal injury, but I think there is more to my slow swim than that. Although, with the coaching I have gotten and the countless time with swim drills, I do not know the answer.

Event comments:

I like the 4 Peaks setup, as they are small, and they schedule them accordingly to coincide with the big local races as a warm-up.

Last updated: 2013-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:26 | 1500 meters | 02m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 41/101
Performance: Average
Suit: TYR Hurricane Sleeveless
Course: Counter clockwise rectangle (2 loops).
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  01:23
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:24:45 | 03.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 31/101
Performance: Average
I did not wear a HR monitor for this race so no HR data was recorded.
Course: Out and back along the lake, with minor inclines passing under the bridges and climbing to the turn-around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes