United States
FIRM Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 40s
Overall Rank = 183/251
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5. Ate some oatmeal and packed up the car. Had some coffee and an Ensure in the car ride to the site. Walked from the parking field to the transition area through the most mosquito invested area. Got registered, body marked and set up my transition area.
Event warmup:

Went for a quick jog for 3-5 minutes. No stretching, which I should have done.
Swim
  • 14m 32s
  • 700 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok swim. I was hoping to be able to draft off people and settle into a good race pace. That never happened and I was just struggled my way to the first turn. I had to make an effort to breath out through my nose underwater. I rounded the first turn and thought the next turn was so far away. I rounded that turn, and spotted a raft. First, I was aiming to go to the outside or right of the raft, then I decided to go inside the raft. As I kept looking at it, I realized that it was moving, then I realized that it was Team Hoyt! I swam to the left of them, trying to stay out of their way. I stood up on solid ground and slowly walked across the timing mat.
What would you do differently?:

Try to take it easier to start. I'm not good enough to draft off people, so I might as well focus on keeping a steady easy effort. Plus, I need to stop drifting off to the right.
Transition 1
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

Good transition. Hit my goal of under 3 minutes. I just wandered over to my stuff, ripped off my wetsuit through on my socks and shoes and headed out. I was so dazed from the swim I just kinda went through the motions, but it worked out well.

Maybe practice more. I think it went well, so not much else.
Bike
  • 49m 41s
  • 15 miles
  • 18.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Started the bike still dazed from the swim. My stomach was really upset, so I didn't have the Gu that I planned on at the start of the bike. I also, didn't drink much either. First loop was just to pace myself and feel better from the swim. (Done in 17:42, including hill out of parking lot.) Next loop, I stayed out of my big ring and just easied up on downhills to save energy (15:46) Final loop, I pushed hard in the big ring on the flats and downhills, and spun up the hills. (Done in 16:13, including dismount and crossing timing mat.) I made an effort to pace myself and it worked great. My legs weren't fried and my heart rate wasn't to high either.

Work on dismount. Drink more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Well, I had to stop the bike completely to get off. I have never tried a running dismount in my clipless shoes, and having my cleats skid across the pavement wouldn't be a good thing either. I had a goal of 2 minutes, but I stopped and peed quicky, so 2:22 is pretty good including a pit stop.

Not pee.
Run
  • 44m 35s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Good run. I popped out onto the street and posed for my girlfriend. The start is uphill and it was rough. I settle in after 1.5 miles and got into a nice groove. The big climb was around this time and I passed maybe 4-5 people here. I hit the water station at 2.5 and felt good after pouring some water over my head. I hit the hilly part at mile 3-4 and felt good and strong. Big plus for next week. At the last water station (4.2) I dicided I felt good and pushed up the last incline to the finish. Pasted some more people, (mostly women who started 4 minutes after me), and made it across the finish line.

Nothing, I had a good pace and kept cool. I think those water stations were perfectly placed.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some free grub and walked around a bit. Drove home and walked around there afterwards. Legs felt tight but not too bad.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and swimming. My bike speed is a pleasant surprise, as well as how comfortable I felt during the run.

Event comments:

I did this race last year and I improved my time by 12 minutes, possible 13 if I didn't need to use the little boys room. However, I felt so much better this year than last year. Last year, I hoppled off the bike and was shot for the run. I had to walk a few times last year, where this year I was strong throughout. At the finish last year, my legs were just shot, this year, they were sore, but nothing too bad. I crossed the line with a big smile and I thanked every water station volunteer and made sure to put my cup in a garbage bag if they had one. Overall, this was a great race for me and a good convidence builder for next week. However, look at how fast everyone is who does this race!

Last updated: 2006-04-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:32 | 700 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 187/251
Performance: Average
Suit: BodyGlove
Course: Triagle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:49:41 | 15 miles | 18.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Overall: 199/251
Wind: None
Course: Fast 5 mile loop ridden three times. Some hills and a nice downhill into town.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:35 | 05 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 177/251
Course: Hilly loop run in the opposite direction of the bike.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-10 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: Holliston Loins Triathlon

2006-07-10 2:01 PM
in reply to: #477897

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Holliston Loins Triathlon

Hey congrats on a great race and the improvement from last year. Bummer I didn't know you were going to be at the race so we could have met. Oh well, maybe next time. I like the course because even thogh it has rolling hills you can certainly go fast

Good Job!

2006-07-10 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Excellant race...placed 3rd...awesome!

12 minute improvement in a sprint is amazing....shows your hard work is paying off. Plus you can tell you felt better and paced well.

Congrats on a great race! I'll see you at Cranberry right?

2006-07-10 2:56 PM
in reply to: #478020

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
KathyG - 2006-07-10 3:28 PM

Congrats on a great race! I'll see you at Cranberry right?

Heck yeah! It's funny reading this report and then reading last years. Big improvement indeed.
2006-07-11 4:13 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Good race, and what an improvement and 3rd place, this was a day well spent

You are so ready for your Olympic tri next weekend.

2006-07-11 8:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Congratulations on a great race.

2006-07-12 5:58 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
nice race report, see you in Lakeville
2006-07-13 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

great race...good job improving from last year!!!  When you factor in the placing in your AG, that is what makes it AWESOME!!

benihana

2006-07-13 9:29 PM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN

great race...good job improving from last year!!!  When you factor in the placing in your AG, that is what makes it AWESOME!!

benihana

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Holliston Loins Triathlon Rss Feed