Bedford Hills Neighborhood Association
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 32s
Overall Rank = 18/
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I did a 5K last November at the very beginning of my triathlon training to get a baseline time. I signed up for this 5K to re-assess my progress and hopefully see the fruits of my hard work. I also used it as extra motivation since my first triathlon is only a month away!. My training has only recently moved outdoors away from the dreadmill, so I knew a race titled ‘run for the hills’ would be a fun challenge.
Event warmup:

Dynamic stretching (lunges / squats) and 5 minute jog with brief race pace bursts. Light jog up the first hilly part of the course.
Run
  • 22m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to not start too fast or wear myself out in the large uphill portion that kicks off the race. I would use mile 1-2 to assess how I feel and adjust accordingly and then push through the final mile and attack the bigger hill at the end.

I started off steadily up the first hill. It leveled out briefly before a sharp turn and another hill which brings you to the 1 mile mark. A quick peak at my HRM showed me in the 170s, right where I wanted to be. I picked up the pace slightly from mile 1-2 as my heart rate stuck in the mid 170s. I hit the 2 mile mark feeling good. At this point I couldn’t remember how many more big hills were left to climb. Definitely one more than I was expecting. I pushed through the pain knowing the home stretch was downhill. I picked up the pace and finished strong. Crossed the line 1:30 faster than my baseline 5K in November and on a hilly course to boot.

What would you do differently?:

Felt like I raced a smart race. I was comparing my HR data from my November 5k and I noticed my average and peak were both higher (178 avg, 188 max), so maybe I had a little left in the tank but I felt very happy with my performance. Very excited to see how my stand alone 5K compares to my run time during the triathlon, especially if the run is a flatter course.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Always room for improvement. I need to amp up the interval and hill training.

Event comments:

Great race. Fun and challenging course. Great neighborhood feel. Props to the excellent volunteers, especially the local servicemen and women who directed runners and stopped traffic during the race.

Last updated: 2013-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:32 | 03.11 miles | 07m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Avg 173 Peak 182
Course: +276 elevation gain 0 - 1 mile mostly uphill 1-2 mile flat / downhill 2-2.5 rollers another big hill at 2.5 finish downhill
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes