General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegetarian? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-19 9:17 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Vegetarian?
I've been toying with the idea of going vegetarian with a focus on eating clean and whole foods. I've previously relied on protein bars etc. Anyone out there willing me share some experience & wisdom on this transition?

2013-04-20 3:07 AM
in reply to: #4707880

User image

Regular
Florida
Subject: RE: Vegetarian?

I've been veg for 3 years now. Don't miss eating killed animals at all! To start with find a few cookbooks and play with the cooking. Find and make food you enjoy! You will spend alot of time reading labels, which is a good thing. My wife and I found that after 3 weeks of going veg I felt so good that I haven't looked back. My health if worth the extra steps.

This reminds me. It is easier if everyone in the home is on the same page as you. If not, the fridge can become a demilitarized zone. It's just easier to cook ONE meal for all. Especially when the training increases.

So hint #1. Cook food you enjoy!

Hint #2. If possible, go veg with everyone in the home.

P.S. I've found the spicy black bean pita sandwich at the Pita Pit (a pita wrap version of Subway) is a GREAT way to get non veg people to open up to vegetarian cuisine.

2013-04-20 8:22 AM

User image

Regular
Texas

Went veg almost 2 years ago and haven't looked back. I do a blog and podcast about it (see signature for details).

I completely agree to take the family along with you . . . makes it so much easier. I think the biggest breakthrough for us was to finally stop trying to "replicate" meats with veggies (stop trying to find things that taste like beef and realize that we don't need it at all).

Good luck!

2013-04-20 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I have been a vegetarian / almost vegan for about 9 months now. My wife has given up red meat and will only have some chicken. This makes it not so bad to cook meals. Something like taco's I will have rice and beans and she has the same with a bit of chicken breast.
2013-04-20 5:49 PM

User image

New user
Hi, I have been eating pescetarian which is plant based dairy eggs and fish for about three years now.It has been an excellent change in my eating life.There are so many things I can eat that I don't miss the things I no longer eat. Soups, tacos, pizzas, enchiladas, quiche, veggie burgers, beans, rice, hummus, pasta salad, all kinds of warm pasta dishes. I have no problem eating very well and fish is something I have 2-3 times a month.Cookbooks or online recipe searches are an excellent way to dive into this. My partner eats meat and it is no problem adding something to most any meal I make for her. She is happy without it with soups etc, I don't make two versions of things. Give it a try, ease into it if that is more doable for you. Good luck!
2013-04-20 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4708014

User image

Payson, AZ
halford_tenark - 2013-04-20 1:07 AM

I've been veg for 3 years now. Don't miss eating killed animals at all! To start with find a few cookbooks and play with the cooking. Find and make food you enjoy! You will spend alot of time reading labels, which is a good thing. My wife and I found that after 3 weeks of going veg I felt so good that I haven't looked back. My health if worth the extra steps.

Stop buying things with so many labels.  Save you a ton of time.

2013-04-21 9:03 AM

User image

New user

Thanks so much for all the encouragement & hints. I feel like I'm really headed in the right direction. I'll be following your blogs and other thread on the forum. Thanks again!
2013-04-21 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
I feel people strongly over-emphasize being vegetarian and the difficulties that come along with it. Even if someone were to eat a raw plant diet, with adaquate calories, they would still meet the recommendations for PRO, Fat, and CHO.

As with a diet that includes meat, focus on consuming whole foods that are as close to the natural source as possible. I feel the main reasons many vegetarians "fail" is because they replace meat with grain, which is an error, in my opinion. Even the elite east Africans consume a primarily plant based diet (and actually lots of grain) and consume 10-15% PRO and the same amount of FAT.
2013-04-21 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

I'm in the process of going vegetarian now and I couldn't be happier or feel better.

I did a lot of reading before starting. One thing I read over and over again was to take your time with the switch. Start by doing a meatless day regularly once a week or by cutting out pork before beef and chicken. 

I saw someone mentioned that the tendency with people making the transition is to replace meat portions with an extra portion of grain/starch. I replaced my meat portions with a big veggie portion and a piece of fruit. I also make enormous triathlete salads for a pre-dinner with lettuce, spinach, avocado, tomato, little cheese, black/red/garbanzo beans, sunflower seeds, cashews/other nut, olive oil, little salt seasoning for flavor. 

One of my biggest mistakes and errors I'm trying to break is too much peanut butter. I eat 3-5 servings of that stuff a day. Too much. 

I also make hi-protein waffles for breakfast.

If you haven't, check out http://nomeatathlete.comespecially the "Fuel Right" and "Eat Plants" tab. I learned a lot from this site. His other blog posts are cool too.

Good luck! I've never felt better since cutting back severely on my meat! Almost down to none. 

2013-05-10 1:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville

rima12 - 2013-04-19 10:17 PM I've been toying with the idea of going vegetarian with a focus on eating clean and whole foods. I've previously relied on protein bars etc. Anyone out there willing me share some experience & wisdom on this transition?

I've been a vegetarian for almost 4 years and can't add much that hasn't already been said. It's been easy for me and I feel great. But in reference to the protein bar comment, here's a link to a fruit and nut bar recipe I absolutely adore! It's really cheap to buy the ingredients in bulk and I have saved lots of money making snack bars myself

http://rnay225.blogspot.com/2013/04/fruit-and-nut-energy-bars.html

2013-05-10 9:02 PM

User image

Ann Arbor

I've been vegan for just under 18 years; It's been half of my life around now!
I've also got two vegan kids (9 and 7) and a vegan wife.  

I rarely supplement anything. I just a variety of foods and get plenty of calories. The only problem has been occasional weight gain on years when I'm sedentary or don't train and where the stress of my work gets to me. But overall, I've been successful as an athlete and healthy as a person. 

But frankly, I am a vegan for ethical reasons, not for health reasons.

It just happens to be nice that I feel like I'm doing as good as I want to do and that my limitations are based on training (I dislike running) rather than my diet. If anything, I feel like my diet is an asset, just like my swim background.   

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Vegetarian? Rss Feed