General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 46s
Overall Rank = 10081/13344
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 475/576
Pre-race routine:

This was my wife's (Noodle67) first running event and my first 1/2 marathon in over 13 years. This is our first organized race of the year with IMAZ '13 being the last. Our training for this distance has been over the the last three months with out prior long runs being about 5 miles. My goal was to run the entire distance and finish with my wife in under 3 hours.

We ate our usual breakfast of Greek yogurt, blueberries and honey. We parked, geared up, stood in a long bathroom line and got to the start corral with 10 minutes to spare.
Event warmup:

We walked to the start corral where I stood next to my warm wife, and marvelled at the size of the event! The number of people running this event was quite spectacular! Of course, I kept my mental focus by doubting my ability to complete the race.
Run
  • 2h 49m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Lisa and I ran most of this event together. We maintain a steady run 6 minutes / walk 2 minutes routine until the last mile. Our pace stayed fairly consistent, and we enjoyed both each other's company and the event. I had to use the facilities at about mile 12 and told Lisa to go ahead as I would catch up to here. Lisa apparently hurried :) because she was tough to catch. We ran the last 1/2 mile through the finish line. It was wonderful running this race with Lisa. It is the first of several races Lisa and I will run this year with the season finale and our "A" race being Ironman Arizona!!
What would you do differently?:

Not accidentally elbow my wife in the shoulder twice. Otherwise, I think we ran a good race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked 3/4 mile to a restaurant and ate a well-deserved lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Relative newness to focused running, lack of a true focused training plan, lack of strength.

Last updated: 2012-11-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:49:46 | 13.1 miles | 12m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/576
Overall: 0/13344
Performance: Good
Course: This was a loop course starting and ending in Tempe, AZ
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-04-20 6:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Subject: P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed