General Discussion Race Reports! » Seville Sports Club Mini Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Seville Sports Club Mini Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gilbert, Arizona
United States
Tri-Family Racing
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 30s
Overall Rank = 1/
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up from Tucson the night before and stayed at a friends house out in Queen Creek. I have done this course before, but I just got a new bike and I went to bike the course to see how my bike would handle it.

Double checked my gear and made sure everything was ready to go in the morning. (I forgot a number of things I usually like to have, but nothing vital) Usually I have Mongolian or Chinese the night before a race, but this time I had an antipasto plate from the Olive Mill. That was a bad idea. It had cheeses, a small amount of meat, bread, almonds, and roasted veggies, but for some reason it did not agree with me at all. I am not sure why as I've eaten things like that many times before.

I woke up and started drinking water. Had a little fruit and I was off.
Event warmup:

I got there VERY early. In the e-mail they said bikes had to be in transition no later than 5:30/5:45, So I showed up an hour early, 4:30. Normally I would get a good spot showing up then, but not an end spot. This time I was the 3rd athlete there! I was surprised, normally an hour before the place is crawling with activity. I set up my stuff and went to my car to stay warm and try and relax.

A flood of people started showing up at just after 5:00AM. I wish I would have done the same. I got out of my car and went and checked my gear again, and checked my tire pressure. I walked around and had a cup of coffee, did a bit of stretching. Watched the kids race start, and then lined up for my start.
Swim
  • 03m 18s
  • 150 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

I can tell I haven't swam in 6 weeks. Yup, 6 weeks. They quit heating the pool in my apartment and the water is so cold. One day I tried doing laps and even after swimming fairly hard for 10 minutes I was still freezing. It hasn't been warm enough during the day or night for the heater to be turned off. The nights have been in the 40's or 50's and day temp 70's-80's. I was thinking of wearing my wetsuit in the pool.

Other than not swimming for 6 weeks, I also just had a generally bad swim. My breathing was off, and after the first 25yrds I was feeling tired in my legs (probably from my hard bike workout on Friday, lots of hill work) not a good sign because I wasn't going particularly hard. The tired legs surprised me and I could tell I was panicking a little. I tried to just breathe and concentrate on getting full extention in my arms so I could save my legs. I am capable of a 2:40 150yrd swim time without exhausting myself and I wanted my swim time (with run) to be under 3:00. My time was much better than October though (3:56). Lots more to improve on.

What would you do differently?:

Pay to use a public pool, but they are all very far from me and have inconvenient lap swim hours. I guess I need to suck it up and make it work.

I AGAIN didn't push hard enough on the swim. I didn't start pushing until the last 50yrds.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

T1 was included in the bike, BUT I know from my bike clock how long I was biking and I know my T1 was longer than T2, so I estimated 1 min.

Getting out of the pool wasn't as much of a shock as it usually is. The air temp was much better than usual.

I ran to my spot and started putting on my stuff. One of the race directors came and was standing 2 feet from me cheering me on, which was nice, but then he started talking to me, and asking questions. A little odd, but I didn't want to be rude. It threw off my concentration though and I really fumbled with getting my cycling shoes on, I mean REALLY fumbled. I lost a good 15-20 seconds. Good things I decided to try this one without socks or it would have been even longer. When I got my shoes on the race director was still standing there talking to a volunteer...both in my way, I said "excuse me" and he jumped out of the way. Slightly annoyed..it is a race after all.

I keep telling myself I need to learn how to jump on the bike with my shoes already clipped in...I really need to work on that.

I need to also practice my T1 in general.
Bike
  • 32m 4s
  • 10.4 miles
  • 19.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I just got my new bike on Thursday. I had one really hard ride on Friday which was a bad idea. I was tired after 2 miles. The first part of the bike I was holding a 21.5-23mph pace. That was only about 2 miles of the course though. The rest was a false flat with a headwind. It wasn't a super strong wind, but it was enough that, combined with the false flat, I was struggling to stay above 17mph. I could feel instantly when the headwind would stop and the elevation started to go down. I wish that was longer. I was 1:18 faster than in October...I was hoping to be under 31:00.

More hill work. Push harder on the slight downhills. Maybe I need to buy a computer that will give me cadence too.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Pretty easy transition. First time going without socks. I think I need to sew some loops on my shoes so I can pull then on easier. They are Asics Tri shoes, being tri shoes I am surprised there are no loops...

Sew loops on my shoes so I can pull them on more easily.
Run
  • 04m 39s
  • 0.5 miles
  • 09m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were tired. The dead feeling went away after about 200 meters. I got a drink at the turn-around. I regret that. It slowed me down and I should have sucked it up. I didn't drink anything on the bike though. I really hate running, and I really need to learn how to just go for it. I constantly have negative thoughts about running going through my head. I can't seem to focus like I can on the swim and bike, even when I do reverse tris.

I need to run more. Period. I've upped my running, and it shows during my training. I think I need to get a watch. My phone tells me my pace every 1/2 mile and I know I have improved a lot, but it doesn't show in my triathlons probably because I am a bad judge of my pacing and I can't gage how fast I am running. Whether I am going at an 8:00min/mile pace or 10min/mile they really do feel the same to me. I was hoping to come in under 4:15. I was :24 faster than last year...bummer.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around. I pulled a hip muscle and it's been bothering me a bit. I ate some watermelon and drank a bit of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of pool time. New bike that I am not used to yet. Hatred of running.

Event comments:

I did this race in October and this time I was 2:22 faster. I was actually hoping to come in under 40:00, and I know I am capable of that, I guess it wasn't meant to be this time. I could blame the wind, or my hip, but I think it was just a bad day.

The race directors are so friendly and I really like the trifamily series.

The one thing I saw for this race that really bugged me is there is a family of triathletes, I think the mom is a semi-pro cyclist, that come to almost every race and they are constantly breaking rules and not being punished for it. They are also very rude and have a terrible attitude. During the race I noticed they drafted off each other more than usual in this race(I've seen them drafting in other races as well). Drafting is not allowed and unfortunatly I think the race directors are too afraid to do anything to them, as far as giving them some very deserved penalties.

Very upsetting at the blatant cheating.

Last updated: 2013-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:18 | 150 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 3/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: 25yrd pool. Serpentine swim. Then a 25ish yard run to the timing mat.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:32:04 | 10.4 miles | 19.46 mile/hr
Overall: 1/
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2 loops on a false flat course. Back stretch and part of the long curve were the false flat and the strong headwind.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:04:39 | 00.5 miles | 09m 18s  min/mile
Overall: 3/
Performance: Below average
Course: Run downhill for .25 miles then run back up to the finish. Coming towards the finish is a slight downhill though.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-04-22 2:20 PM

Subject: Seville Sports Club Mini Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seville Sports Club Mini Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed