General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ultramary + Tri training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-22 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: Ultramary + Tri training
I've signed up for a 50mi and am wondering how y'all work your ultra training into your tri training schedule.  I have to increase my running but don't know what to sacrifice to do it, swim or bike time.  Any pointers?

2013-04-22 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4710299

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ultramary + Tri training

La Tortuga - 2013-04-22 2:23 PM I've signed up for a 50mi and am wondering how y'all work your ultra training into your tri training schedule.  I have to increase my running but don't know what to sacrifice to do it, swim or bike time.  Any pointers?

depends on which event is your "A" race this year, which is the one you really REALLY want to do well at?  im in the same boat with a HIM in the middle of a 100 miler and a 50 miler, with the HIM being A race for the year, well until im done with it, then the 50 becomes the A race!!!

2013-04-22 8:52 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I have a 50 miler in two weeks which is the lead out to my season.  Although, I have focused on running,  a mid-training injury forced me to get back to more swimming and cycling while I recovered (I'm a big fan of cross-training for running anyway).  In terms of not interfering with triathlon training, I pushed my triathlon races back until September/ October this year (an HIM in late October is my "A" race.  That will give me the entire summer to work up to them.  
2013-04-23 8:44 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas

My experience:  I needed to figure out what my goal was and focus on that.  If your goal race is the tri, then focus on tri.  If your goal race is the 50 miler, than focus on running.

For me, I split up my seasons.  Spring-Summer is for tris, and Fall-Winter is for ultras.

When I was attempting my first 100 miler, the first two months of my training schedule were the same as the last 2 months of training for my goal A race 70.3.  This did not turn out well.  I didn't get as many base miles in as I should have because I was more focused on the bike and swim.

Then when my 100 miler was over, I only had 2 months (7 weeks really) to get back into tri shape for an early season 70.3.  Amazingly my biking legs didn't go away (although I swam like a brick!) and I came away with a PR.

50 miler you might be able to get away with it, but for a 100 miler I think you have to scrap tri altogether and just run.  There's not enough time in the week to train for anything else.

Good luck man.  I know its tough.  I want to do it all too.  Unfortunately, if you want to do anything well, you need focus.  So figure out what you want to do well, and go for it.  Don't sacrifice everything because you can't figure out what you want to do.

Last thing -- don't call them ultramarys.  or even marys for that matter.

Edited by djastroman 2013-04-23 8:45 AM
2013-04-23 1:03 PM
in reply to: #4711273

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
djastroman - 2013-04-23 9:44 AM

My experience:  I needed to figure out what my goal was and focus on that.  If your goal race is the tri, then focus on tri.  If your goal race is the 50 miler, than focus on running.

For me, I split up my seasons.  Spring-Summer is for tris, and Fall-Winter is for ultras.

When I was attempting my first 100 miler, the first two months of my training schedule were the same as the last 2 months of training for my goal A race 70.3.  This did not turn out well.  I didn't get as many base miles in as I should have because I was more focused on the bike and swim.

Then when my 100 miler was over, I only had 2 months (7 weeks really) to get back into tri shape for an early season 70.3.  Amazingly my biking legs didn't go away (although I swam like a brick!) and I came away with a PR.

50 miler you might be able to get away with it, but for a 100 miler I think you have to scrap tri altogether and just run.  There's not enough time in the week to train for anything else.

Good luck man.  I know its tough.  I want to do it all too.  Unfortunately, if you want to do anything well, you need focus.  So figure out what you want to do well, and go for it.  Don't sacrifice everything because you can't figure out what you want to do.

Last thing -- don't call them ultramarys.  or even marys for that matter.

Thanks dude.

2013-05-05 2:12 PM

You talk about sacrificing some training to finish....what is your current weekly mileage for running.  Until you spat that info out I wouldn't give you any specific advice.  For a 50 miler your weekly mileage doesn't have to be high...depending on your interpretation of high.  When my "break" from tri took place in 2011 I was already running 40-50 mile weeks with the rest of the s/b training.  I found out that a lot of the guys at the ultra starting lines were running the same weekly mileage.  However, I would also learn over time what a true base of running for ultras meant, the completely different approach to training they take, what long run days really consists of, and how much more difficult 40-50 in mountains and trails is than 40-50 at your local park or on the road.    

...BTW David...what 100 miler did you finish?

2013-05-05 10:35 PM
in reply to: #4728026

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Dultra - 2013-05-05 2:12 PM

You talk about sacrificing some training to finish....what is your current weekly mileage for running.  Until you spat that info out I wouldn't give you any specific advice.  For a 50 miler your weekly mileage doesn't have to be high...depending on your interpretation of high.  When my "break" from tri took place in 2011 I was already running 40-50 mile weeks with the rest of the s/b training.  I found out that a lot of the guys at the ultra starting lines were running the same weekly mileage.  However, I would also learn over time what a true base of running for ultras meant, the completely different approach to training they take, what long run days really consists of, and how much more difficult 40-50 in mountains and trails is than 40-50 at your local park or on the road.    

...BTW David...what 100 miler did you finish?

Rocky Racoon.  Although I did not finish, I DNF'd at 80.  I have some unfinished business to attend to in February.

2013-05-10 8:52 PM

For sure!  80 in and dnf.  Ouch.  Best of luck at your next 100.  I hope you get that buckle!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ultramary + Tri training Rss Feed