General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to run in downtown Atlanta Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-22 10:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Subject: Places to run in downtown Atlanta

Greetings from the still frozen tundra of the north!

I will be in downtown Atlanta starting Friday thru next Thursday for a conference.  I was wondering if any of you guys had recommendations for places to run.  I will be staying in downtown Atlanta near the Hyatt Regency Atlanta.  I will not have a car.

I don't think I like your state forum here Laughing To much talk about OWS!  Last time I checked my lake was still completely iced over.  I'm jealous!

How about a good vegan/vegetarian restaurant? 

Thanks for any tips! 

2013-04-23 8:58 PM
in reply to: #4710932

Subject: RE: Places to run in downtown Atlanta
I live downtown downtown. I say it twice because I used to live in Virginia highland which is a neighborhood right by downtown. If you have a car go to freedom park and use one of those map my distance programs and map a run in any direction. All those neighborhoods are very nice and scenic and safe.

Now if you are carless and downtown, I typically map a run that includes Marietta st., northside drive Atlantic station, and Georgia tech also using one of those map my distance sites.
2013-04-23 9:05 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
One alternative would be head due North on Peachtree and take a right on 10th St. Piedmont Park will be about three blocks on your left.

Tough to get lost and lots of scenery leading to and in the park.

Enjoy your visit - wish I had a suggestion in Re. vegetarian options.
2013-04-23 9:20 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

If you're going to head to Piedmont Park (which is a good place to run) during business hours, I'd say run there via Piedmont Rd rather than Peachtree St because you'll have less people to dodge on Piedmont as there are lots of pedestrians on Peachtree. I regularly run this route and it is about 3.5 miles round trip from downtown to the park gates. You can easily add mileage in and around the park before heading back to downtown.

If you need to do some intervals, the Active Oval in Piedmont is a good place. It's a 1/2 mile dirt oval and there is lots of scenery there when the weather is nice.

You can also find some decent running on the PATH trails and the Beltline (which you can get to by running from downtown going east via Ralph McGill Blvd. You will run by some interesting people near the hospital but it's a safe route during daylight hours.

Big Peach has a running store on Peachtree Street in Midtown. You could easily run there from downtown (it's about a mile from downtown) and join one of their group runs or get some route recommendations.

Edited by 1111 2013-04-23 9:28 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Places to run in downtown Atlanta Rss Feed