Big Shark
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 25m 25s
Overall Rank = 219/287
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/24
Pre-race routine:

Got an email on Saturday that there would be a change with the race on Sunday. The area used for the transition zone was under more than a foot of water due to flooding on the Mississippi so they had to move it to higher ground. It would slightly change the run and bike courses. Runs would be a little longer (1.8m each instead of 1.5) and it would cut off the beginning of the bike course so it was only about 9.2m instead of the full 10.

DH decided to go with me to this race so we both got up, got ready and headed to downtown St Louis. I ate a banana nut muffin on the ride down. DH took my bike over to have the tires topped off (forgot my pump) while I picked up my packet. The rack for my AG was the last one - closest to the run in/out but farthest from the bike in/out. Got my bike racked, helmet ready, changed some clothes (it was cold and windy when we got there but warmed up some during the race) and waited for the start.
Event warmup:

Since the race starts in the middle of the Eads Bridge, there's almost a mile walk to the start line from the transition area.
Run
  • 20m 19s
  • 1.81 miles
  • 11m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I was in the porta-potty when the gun went off :) but the race was chip-timed so I wasn't too worried about that. I always start at the back anyway so I had time to do my business and then cross the starting mat. We started in the middle of the bridge, down to the Illinois side, back up and over to Missouri and then down to Laclede's Landing for transition. I was hoping to keep around a 12m/m pace but ended up a little faster. Hoped that wouldn't hurt me later on.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Last year transition was a straight shot in one end and out the other. This year because of the change we had to run all the way around transition and come in the back side (counted in T-time) so my time is longer than last year but I'm happy with it. Grabbed my helmet and my bike and I was off.
Bike
  • 39m 20s
  • 9.18 miles
  • 14.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Leave transition, couple of rough side streets, then up to Broadway for 2 loops of an out and back. Once on Broadway I was able to pick up my pace a little and passed several people. Also had people who were already on their second loop passing me. Road was closed though and fairly wide so no real problems - lots of room for passing. On the way out the wind must have been behind me because I felt like I was flying (and I'm not a fast cyclist by any means). Paid for it on the return trip though - the wind was in my face and my pace slowed down. Got down to the turnaround and started my second loop. I knew from doing the race last year that the second loop would seem to go faster so I passed people as I could, not too many passing me anymore since the faster people had already left the bike course. Finished my second loop and headed back to transition.
The only issue I had with the bike was the U-turns. I have terrible bike handling skills and U-turns scare me. I slowed down quite a bit for these and some of the other turns heading from and to transition.
What would you do differently?:

I need to ride outside more and get more comfortable handling my bike especially on turns and rough roads.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Again, time was a little longer than last year due to having to go all the way around transition to get to the exit.
Run
  • 21m 54s
  • 1.82 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

It took about half this run before my legs finally felt something close to normal. It didn't help that the first part of the run was mostly uphill back up to the bridge. My pace was definitely slower on this second run but still a little faster than I expected.
Post race
Warm down:

The one mile walk back down to transition.

Event comments:

I really enjoy this race. It's a nice start to the season and very beginner friendly since it's short and mostly flat on the bike course. My DH even made a comment about how there was every type of bike being used, from comfort bikes to mountain bikes, road bikes and tri bikes. I'll be back again next year.

Last updated: 2013-04-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:19 | 01.81 miles | 11m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 249/287
Performance: Good
Course: Start in the middle of the Eads Bridge, run to Illinois, turn around, run back to Missouri and down to Laclede's Landing where transition was set up.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 02:16
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Bad
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:39:20 | 9.18 miles | 14.00 mile/hr
Overall: 181/287
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Couple of turns then up to Broadway for 2 loops.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:39
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:54 | 01.82 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 241/287
Performance: Average
Course: repeat of the 1st run but in the opposite direction.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes