United States
Los Angeles Police Revolver and Athletic Club
60F / 16C
Total Time = 55m 50s
Overall Rank = 186/259
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Vegas with DH. When we arrived we got checked in then went for dinner at Mario Batali's Otto Enoteca Pizzeria at the Venetian. We had some amazing pizza and an order of veal ricotta meatballs. Yum! Then they tempted us with lots of yummy sounding desserts but I had my heart set on the Godiva Chocolatier we'd passed on our way to the restaurant.

The next morning we picked up a couple friends from the airport then had breakfast with them and a bunch of other friends. This race is all about the camaraderie and seeing the friends that I see only at this race. We went to the buffet at LVH. I'm not a fan of buffets but that was the group decision. I had some normal breakfasty stuff but DH had some crab legs, some other stuff and some cheesecake!? This was appreciated by the group we were with.

After we all hung out for a while and caught up we went our separate ways because this is a relay race and we are all involved at different times. I didn't have to race until late that night so DH and I went to enjoy a private car collection showing, open only to the participants of this race. DH had a great time seeing all the cars, kid in a candy store. Then we were invited to the home of the collection owner where he showed us the pipe-organ that he purchased from the famous Roxy Theater! Wow, pretty cool. After that DH and I drove to check out the garage/shop of Kounts Customs, a car show DH likes to watch. That was pretty cool. We got to see were the filming is done and see "The Kount's" private car collection. (We've been to Pawn Stars and Ricks Restoration on previous B2V trips).

After that we headed back to the hotel for some rest time before we headed out to race. All day we were in contact with the team captain and earlier racers so we'd have an idea of when we needed to be at our location.

When it was time we grabbed the people in our car and headed out.
Event warmup:

None really. I thought I'd do some strides (to make Salty proud) to prepare for the uphill start to my leg but I ended up barely having time to get my stuff on and be at the starting chute to accept the baton and head out.
Run
  • 55m 50s
  • 6.7 miles
  • 08m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I started up the "steep hill", which wasn't bad at all, then I crest the hill. It's time to fly. I just opened up the stride and let gravity work. The support car is always just a bit behind me but they pull up occasionally to see if I need water. The three people in the support car all know me well. One of them is my work-partner and one is one of my trainees. So they pull up first time and my partner tells me I'm averaging 8:20 and I'm 2.7 miles in. Cool!

Next time they pull up I'm averaging 8:15 at 4.2! I told her "lets finish this thing"! Of, course I needed the bathroom for the last mile :-/ but still tried to hold a good pace. When I handed off the baton DH and my car-mates thought I'd done about 55 minutes for the 6.7! And the scenery was awesome! The Red Rock mountains outside of Las Vegas were sillouetted against the clear night sky. I could occasionally see the lights from Las Vegas. So cool.

What would you do differently?:

I was sore for about 4 days after this race so I'm pretty sure I left everything out there.
Post race
Warm down:

There are always EMT's at the catcher station to make sure the runners are ok after their leg. They usually ask you a couple simple questions and ask you to walk around near them a bit. Well I need the bathroom. So I answered her questions but when she asked me to stay close I told her so and she gave me the ok to leave. DH says she then asked him if I was ok. He told her yes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first time doing this leg so I didn't know what to expect from the big downhill. I hadn't really trained specifically for this race, or a running focus at all for that matter, for the last few months, but I'm happy with my results.

Event comments:

What a night! This race is a 120 mile relay across the Mohave desert from Baker, CA to Las Vegas, NV. There are 20 people per team and the legs are between 5 and 10 miles. I usually do leg 17 which is 7.3 miles with a slight downhill. .

We'd been hearing all day (started at 10 am Saturday) that we were about 10 minutes ahead of our projected time. That was the case when the baton got to the first guy in our car. Then he proceeded to exceed his expected pace but got passed by a couple of teams.

The next guy passed EVERYONE ahead of him and also exceeded his expected pace! So then there are two of us left in our car and our challenge was to hold the lead. (It's not a true lead as its a reverse seeded start but we were stoked nontheless). We continued to be the first team to finish each leg, all the way to the end. It was a lot of fun and we "mugged" for the first time in the 4-year history of our team.

Oh, and of course we had to hit In-N-Out Burger with some friends on Sunday before the team party!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:50 | 06.7 miles | 08m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 186/259
Performance: Good
Course: This leg is described as: .7 hard up to summit (5.2%), then hard downhill, start 5300', finish 3760'
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-04-23 11:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: Baker to Vegas

2013-04-23 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4711644

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Baker to Vegas

Crab legs and cheesecake for breakfast? I think your DH and I could be great friends.

That's a smokin' pace. Great job!! Although, don't think I didn't read that part about not warming up!!! 

Soooo, I feel like we should do a Manatee relay event like this. Vegas is incredibly easy to get in and out of. Just sayin'...

2013-04-23 11:55 AM

User image

Melon Presser

IN-N-OUT!!!!!!!!

Wait, there was a race report?

CONSMACKULATIONS TJ--looks like a great time was had by all, and you MADE great time, and made great times, in your leg!

2013-04-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4711669

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
This sounds like such a fun weekend!  Great run :-)  You've had a stellar spring!
2013-04-23 12:02 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
TJ, you flew baby! That is awesome time. And you had an awesome time as well, before, during and after. Capped off with burgers, how can you beat that?
2013-04-23 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4711661

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Asalzwed - 2013-04-23 10:52 AM

Crab legs and cheesecake for breakfast? I think your DH and I could be great friends.

That's a smokin' pace. Great job!! Although, don't think I didn't read that part about not warming up!!! 

Soooo, I feel like we should do a Manatee relay event like this. Vegas is incredibly easy to get in and out of. Just sayin'...

I'm trying to talk my family (DH, DS1, DS2, SIL, Bro) in to a relay for the fall of 2014. It's similar to Ragnar. Twelve people, two cars. It goes from Ft. Collins, Colorado to Steamboat Springs. I think it would be a blast.

2013-04-23 1:01 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Ha ha, I think your DH, Salty and I could all be pals based upon those breakfast choices!  I'll eat most anything for breakfast except eggs.

Sounds like a beautiful, fun event (love your pictures!) that is a blast to  do with friends.  Congrats on a smokin' time and for 'mugging'!  That is a seriously cool mug!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Baker to Vegas Rss Feed