General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Broken collarbone options Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-04-23 8:52 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Broken collarbone options
It appears as if my delve into triathlon will be postponed. I flew over my handlebars on a training ride and fractured my clavicle. Needless to say, I'm totally bummed!

I just saw an orthopedist who recommended surgery ( plate and screws). I'm going to get a 2nd opinion.

Has anyone broken a collarbone and can offer insight/experience in surgical vs non-surgical options. Results/ recovery time / range of motion etc?

Thanks

2013-04-24 6:19 AM
in reply to: #4712655

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Broken collarbone options

Wear your sling, get that 2 opinion and then make a choice. Some heal some do not. Surgery will fix it but has some risks.

Mine did not and is what they call a mal-union, it is connected but not straight. So my alignment is off and has been for 25+ years which does cause problems.

Good luck but wear that sling until you make the decision!!!

2013-04-24 7:38 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Unless it was poking thru the skin we NEVER used to fix these.  Ever.  Now they made a better plate and people tend towards fixing them.  Not fixing them typically does not cause problems and they almost always heal.  You can have a bump or a scar.  Its a tough place for a plate because we don't have much between the skin and the bone and often times the plate becomes bothersome and needs to be removed after the bone is healed.  Only reason I would get mine fixed is to get back to work sooner.  As a great man and orthpopedist once said "There is nothing that can't be made worse with surgery"
2013-04-24 11:43 AM

User image

New user
Thanks for the comments. The research I had done / ER also gave me the impression that surgery is unusual. That's why I was so suprised when the orthopedic surgeon immediately recommended surgical repair. There is a few cm displacement between the break so that may be why. I'm setting up appts for more opinins and I'll weigh my options.
2013-04-24 5:24 PM
in reply to: #4713447

Have done the right side twice - once in a car crash, seatbelt, and again skiing - both times left alone and apart from a bit of a lump its a non issue.

2013-04-26 12:54 PM

User image

Regular
Akron

Broke mine about 15 years ago and it healed overlapped. they gave me an option to have it fixed, but it would have had to be broken again. Now I have a lump that sticks out and it's NOT attractive being a female. It also feels gross! I had issues and pain down my arm for years after. It seemed that swimming improved the issues, however every once in a great while I will have a nerve issue, like the other day. I went swimming and it went away. STrange, I know. I fear the pain when I get older. I probably should have had the surgery, but I don't think they were putting plates in. That is a tough one. I can pretty much do everything now. One of my aero bars is moved farther out on one side to accomadate me, but to be honest that is all that effects me now for triathlon issues.

It took several years for me to feel like I could throw a ball correctly or actually far. It's a good thing we don't have to throw our bikes in triathlon. Actually I would be okay with throwing it now. AFter IM I wanted to throw it in the trash!

I also had pain down the arm for a couple of  years after working on the computer all day.

Hope you make the right decision

Edited by SEADOCHA 2013-04-26 12:57 PM

2013-04-29 12:11 PM

I broke my left clavicle last fall in a bike accident in my first triathlon.  The ER said surgery would not be necessary.  I followed up with an ortho a couple days later and said surgery would definitely be necessary.  They ended up referring me out to Duke (I live near Duke) for the surgery.  The surgeon at Duke informed me that I had torn the ligament as well.

I was told if I did not have surgery, I would have significant issues with my shoulder the rest of my life.  Surgery was pretty easy; about 1.5 hours and one night in the ambulatory center.  Plate with screws to get the clavicle back together, and a Teflon cord reattached the ligament.  6 weeks in a sling, four weeks PT, and then I was slowly allowed to get back to running, riding, and swimming.  I am 9-10 months post surgery, it is probably at about 95%.  I have no pain, a little numbness in my shoulder/upper arm around the break (this is common side affect with these surgeries), and the screw/plate bothers me a very small amount.  Normally it is from something rubbing against it, like a backpack strap.  Though I have noticed that it has gotten better in the last several weeks.

Overall, I am happy I had the surgery.  Plus you can see and feel one of the screws, which turns out to be a neat topic at cocktail parties.

Matt

2013-04-29 5:31 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Went over my bars last June and broke mine (along with shattering my wrist and an AC joint separation, all on the same side).  Had surgery and am thankful for it.

The immediate improvement in arm/shoulder stability was noticeable and welcomed.  Range of motion is 100% normal. Recovery time - I can't give a comparison, but I'd bet I was using my arm normally sooner than I would have without surgery.  I was in the gym lifting weights (heavy weights) 6 weeks post-op.  I tried my first swim 3 weeks post-op, but scuttled it due to the AC joint.

Edited by cgregg 2013-04-29 5:32 PM
2013-04-29 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Sure that each person's situation is a little different..but in my case I don't recall much of my bike accident-helmet did its thing but I still got knocked out so have no memory of the "incident"..my collarbone was "minimally displaced" I opted for non-surgical- 8 weeks before going back to work ..6 in immobilizer at but 3 weeks could get on the bike trainer/stationary bike ..4 or 5  for the elliptical, my crash was in april & did sprint tri in june..hadn't been swimming but once before it..little bump where the callous formed , still 1 tiny spot that can be tender..did take a while to get full range of shoulder back..PT & gritting of teeth..but don't even consider it now..
2013-04-30 8:03 AM

User image

New user

Thanks to all for the responses. I'm opting for the surgery based on the recommendation of several orthopedic surgeons. They all say the bone is significantly displaced and although it may heal without surgery, I could very well wait only find out I need surgery down the line. I'd rather have the surgery and give my body the best opportunity to start healing now. Luckily no muscle/ligament damage so although this tri season is likely a wash, I hope to at least resume some light training and pick back up next season.

Thanks again to all who responded. I will give a post-op update.

2013-04-30 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Good luck with your surgery! I wish it had been an option for me...

2013-05-03 5:35 PM

User image

New user
Had the surgery on Wednesday. Now have 8 big screws and 3 smaller screws holding my bone and bone fragments in place. Surgery took a bit longer than expected as surgeon said fragments made it a more delicate procedure than anticipated but am now anatomicallylined up again! Minimal pain afterward - already able to manage with just otc pain meds. Just feeling generally zonked from the surgery. Small patch on shoulder with reduced sensation. Remains to be seen whether feeling will return as nerve damage is a common complication with an incision in that region. Very much looking forward to being able to remove the bandage and take a shower tomorrow. And then starts the slow road to recovery. Will update with pics and milestones as they come. Cheers,Bryan
2013-05-03 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4726647

User image

Elite
Cleveland
FYI - Most likely your season is not a wash.  You'll miss a good chunk of it, but there is little reason you couldn't be back at it by early July, late July at the latest.
2013-05-04 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Good sign onto otc meds already! Hopefully since its put together in a good way your body will do the rest..am hopeful you will be back to training sooner than you think..stuff that doesn't jostle the fix is usually ok pretty early..keep s posted  & good healing!
2013-05-06 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Good to hear things went well...
2013-05-07 1:52 PM

User image

Regular
I went over my handlebars this morning, and currently waiting in hospital to discuss displaced clavicle fracture with surgeon. Bike is totally wrecked, & I'm in lots of pain.Was training for first HIM in about 4 weeks. I'm guessing it's not going to happen now.

2013-05-07 7:24 PM

User image

New user
Not you too! So sorry to hear. Let me know what you decide to do or if you have any questions about the surgery.
2013-05-07 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4731634

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Sorry to hear it

Contact the RD for your HIM and see if they will let you defer your registration to next year, or perhaps at least give you a discount toward a registration next year.

2013-05-08 2:36 AM

User image

Regular
Thanks guys. There's such a big displacement (I landed with full weight on shoulder) that surgery is needed. They will put in a plate to realign bones, and then I will have some restricted shoulder movement for about 6 months until the plate is removed.
I hope you heal well & fast, would be interested to know what treatment you decide?
2013-05-11 7:55 PM

User image

New user
When are you having surgery divergirl? I'm just short of 2 weeks post op. I had orif surgery and now have 11 screws wit titanium plate holding me back together. I was also displaced badly which is why Inchose surgery. I go back next week to have the stitches removed and hopefully start light pt / get cleared for stationary bike. Keep me posted on your progress and let me know if you have any questions about surgery or recovery since it looks like I got a few week head start on you. CheersBryan
2013-05-12 3:23 PM

Scottsdale, AZ
sorry to hear all the accidents! Rest and heal quickly!!!

My story - broke my collarbone rollerblading (before I started Triathlon) and typical wait and see how it healed. Wore my sling, went thru PT, got frozen shoulder, work through that. Back in to get xrays - collarbone never healed. I broke the distal 1/3 (rare) so healing is varied. Options to have surgery...went to 3 doctors...the final one said "can you do everything you want to?"
Me: yes
Dr: well, then let's not do anything and see how it goes...if it starts to bother you, then we'll look into getting it fixed.

That was 10 years ago and while you can see where it sticks up, I have no limited range of motion, can do push ups, yoga, swim etc etc...all without pain. Sometimes it bugs me but it is more an ache of the surrounding muscles than anything.
I'm glad I didn't opt for surgery but know it is necessary for some. Everyone is different!
Best of luck to all who are recuperating!!

2013-05-14 5:12 AM
in reply to: #4738150

User image

Regular

I had surgery 4 days ago now.  Titanium plate with 6 screws and end of plate hooked under the Acromion (?) bone for alignment. All seems well so far.  Not allowed to move arm above 90' until 6 week check, but started some gentle physio already. It will be a while before I can extend the arm fully, or do any load bearing exercises.

Bike not so lucky. Carbon frame completely sheared in two places.  Cheers! Dive.

2013-05-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: divegirlrox

User image

New user
This tuesday will be 3 wks post op. one more week and I will be 'un-slung' and will start full PT. Doc says at 12 wks post op I should be able to return to full activity. Progress between now and then depends on follow up xray revealing signs of bone union. Feeling fine and have been on a stationary bike for the last week. Sick of the sling! Attempting to attach post op xray...

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (85KB - 24 downloads)
2013-05-22 7:12 AM
in reply to: bryathlete

User image

Regular
2013-05-24 3:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image