General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Online vs. LBS Components Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-24 9:27 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2013-04-24 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4713145

Subject: RE: Online vs. LBS Components

There's no problem with the mix and match of components. My bike has FSA cranks, Dura-Ace derailleurs and Cane Creek brakes.

That said, have you considered used? For a little more than what you wanted to spend ($800), I bought a carbon frame with the above components. It's not a name brand (it's a Motobecane), but I like the way it rides and there was no way I was going to spend $2500 to get a similar bike new when I wasn't sure how much I was going to like riding a road bike. You should be able to find a frame in good condition with 105 components for around $1000.00, and I think most people will tell you that they prefer the ride of carbon over aluminum.

Your LBS might even be able to help you locate one. And when you take a used bike in for service vs. one they know came from Nashbar, they're probably going to be friendlier. Just a thought.

2013-04-28 11:33 PM

The 951

Bikes in the very low $1000 range normally come with a mix of Sora and Tiagra plus house brand components (Raleigh-Avenir, Trek-Bontrager, etc etc). There shouldn't be any 2300 at that price.

But going back to your questions: 

Buying from a store:

You get to test ride the bicycle. 

After sale minor adjustments will be free more often than not (the relationship between you and the shop is worth a few $$$)

At that price range, there is probably no significant difference between online and LBS bike specs.

Big online retailers get more discounts because they buy more from the distributors so they can be aggressive with the price.

My first bike, a Trek 1.5 had a mix of FSA, Shimano and "Bontrager approved" (FWTW) components. I have yet to extract every last bit of performance out of it.

2013-05-02 9:53 AM

Master
Nashville, TN
I would mix and match and they might even have some slightly used items they can sell you
2013-05-02 10:49 AM

Veteran
here is what you get when you buy local:1 A competent mechanic putting your bike together. A good shop will lube and tighten everything correctly. Sounds easy but it's not if you don't have bike mechanic experience.2. Service. Derailer adjustments, loose parts, bent rim, rubbing brake, slipping seat post, tune ups, ..all usually taken care of by the bike shop for at least a year. Consider the price of bike shop help when buying online .3. Local shops want you to be happy with your bike and to shop again at their store. Online aren't as invested .....Online has good deals but prob works best for those who know exactly what they want and are good at wrenching their own stuff. Whether online or not my advice would be to get 105 shifters and derailers at a minimum. Good luck!
2013-05-02 7:37 PM

I try my best to support the LBS. A little discussion on discounts sometimes gets great results.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Online vs. LBS Components Rss Feed