General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wake Forest, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/
Pre-race routine:

GET THERE EARLY. Falls Lake is part of the NC state park system, you have to pay $6 to enter, and gates do not open until 7:30 or 8 am. (thus the 9:30am start time). I arrived just after 8am and was the last car not to have to stop on US-50. should have arrived at 7:35 am.
Swim
  • 33m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

little chaos at the start, with guys drifting forward for a 10M head start, but whatevers. Falls lake has no gas engine boats, it was lovely.
What would you do differently?:

keep head down.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

uphill run to T1 with bike start at top of parking lot. I ran past three people clogging the mount line trying to click in and hot started at the road. rubber band on shoes is the most awesome thing ever.
Bike
  • 1h 17m
  • 26.5 miles
  • 20.65 mile/hr
Comments:

no hills are too long or too steep - plan on pushing the uphills to keep average speed up.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

downhill T2 with sharp left at bottom... then uphill out of parking lot. practice your bricks.
Run
  • 45m
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 30s  min/km
Comments:

two volunteers giving wristbands, most people were taking the first one, but the second volunteer was forlorn.

the flat back is slightly downhill, you can cruise right along. lots of curves, so take the straight line.
Post race
Event comments:

Everyone seemed to be using this as a tune-up race for Raleigh 70.3.

The sprint would be a good first race, as the swim was well controlled and plenty for spectators to watch.

my only Tri-snob comment is the timing results didn't have T1 and T2, only each segment. Also I think the swim chip map was like 150yds from swim exit uphill. so the times are sort of accurate... but you have to take with a grain of salt.

Last updated: 2013-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: little confusion with sprint vs olympic course. If you are olympic, just go around the farthest buoys and call it a day. there were no real "sight buoys" to speak of.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:00 | 26.5 miles | 20.65 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: no major hills, but pretty rolling. I had 50-12 as top gear and spun out a few times. 53/39 is fine for this one. Pracitce your bunny hops, there are 4 speed bumps in the park. The last stretch on US-50N is quite sketchy. Olympic is starting to overtake slower sprint riders, there is plenty of traffic and a little bit of chaos. I passed a line of 10 cars on the right, which in hindsight was not the smartest move, but it made sense while racing.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:00 | 10 kms | 04m 30s  min/km
Performance:
Course: two laps, mostly flat with one hill about 1 mile in, right after the turn into the other section of the park.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-24 1:25 PM

Subject: Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam

2013-04-25 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4713638

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam
Great job.  By the way, click your name in the results and you'll see your T1 and T2 times.  Well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside-Out Sports Olympic Triathlon at BeaverDam Rss Feed