Set Up Events
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 19s
Overall Rank = 101/233
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 9/22
Pre-race routine:

We left for White Lake at 5:30 and arrived about 6:45. We parked inside the FFA grounds and relaxed, finishing our coffee. We racked our bikes and went to packet pickup. It was cold, the truck was saying 36 degrees. They announced a 54 degree water temperature. Swim start was 9:15 so there was plenty of time to visit friends and team mates. I was not looking forward to getting in that cold water with a sleeveless wetsuit.
Event warmup:

There was no warming up.
Swim
  • 16m 54s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was so cold I could not catch my breath. I have not been swimming much so I was very slow. I loved the foggle on my goggles. They did not fog up at all. My feet went numb though and would stay that way for a while. The swim went smoothly and I sighted pretty good. I did see a few guys doing a back stroke so the cold wasnt just affecting me. It wasnt long and I was climbing up the side of the dock and running to transition.
Transition 1
  • 02m 56s
Comments:

It was a long transition because my fingers and toes were numb. I did plop on the ground and stip off the wet suit. Bike shoes went on easy enough and so did the aero helmet. Thanks to numb fingers I had issues getting my garmin on. I did run out of transition. I thought it went pretty smooth so Im not sure why it was almost 3 minutes long.
Bike
  • 40m 37s
  • 14 miles
  • 20.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I could not feel my feet. I thought I was going fast but the bike speed wasnt reflecting it. I tried to hammer it the entire way but the lack of training kept me from showing good results. Last year the wind blew me down the back side of the lake at 24-25mph, this year there was very little wind so it dropped to 22. Speeds into the wind went down to 19 and 18. It was an uneventful bike and a lot of fun. The sun had started to warm the air and I was glad I didnt have on a jacket (I planned on arm warmers).
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I ran with my bike to the rack. My feet were numb and it wasnt easy geting those hokas on. I did remember to grab my race belt, sunglasses, and visor.
Run
  • 23m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I love running in those shoes and had a real good time. There was an aid station at mile 1 and I grabbed something, heed, which I tossed away. I dont care for Heed. I ran behind the gas station to 141 and followed the crowd to the turn around spot. There was a little chute of cones and a timing mat. I gave a high five to the setup events guy and started back to the ffa campground. I saw a lady with a prostetic leg and thought to myself that she was doing real good, so I yelled out way to go!. I did notice the feeling start coming back in my feet, about a mile from the finish. I ran steady the entire way and sprinted to the finish. I was very happy with my time.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Post race
Event comments:

There was lots of Pizza at the finish but we were going to eat mexican food. I think they were hurting for volunteers and there was only a couple people in boats on the swim. It was an average Setup event race. An average race for them is a good race anywhere else. I was happy to see all of the post race food. It was the most Ive seen at a sprint. Much better than pappa bears free hotdog and pay for the burgers.

Last updated: 2013-01-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:54 | 820 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 132/233
Performance: Below average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Left dock out, hang a right, make another right to the wiggly man on the right dock.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 54F / 12C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:56
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:37 | 14 miles | 20.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 68/233
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops around the lake.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:30 | 03.11 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 104/233
Performance: Good
Course: The course went out of the FFA area up to 141. We made a right behind the gas station and after a little ways turned around a cone and came back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No