Overall Rank = 48/204
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Run
  • 3h 33m 18s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Not so good. It was a pretty cold morning, but buy the first mile, I felt pretty good, warmth wise. This was my shot at a Boston Qualify. I'd trained for a fast time, but I've also been training longer miles for a 100 mile ultra in July. So walking this line of speed and high mileage with a small taper was taking a big chance. By mile 3 I knew this was probably not going to work. I was running with a girl and another guy at the same pace...about a 7:14, exactly what I had been training for, but my legs were already feeling tired...like 18 mile tired...not 3 mile tired. So the question was how long could I hold on. Should I slow down and just try for a BQ, or keep going at the pace I trained for and also try for the PR? A battle between my heart and by brain. My head KNEW I should slow down, but my heart said to push until my legs fell off. So I ran hard....until mile 12, when I say my first split time begin to fade and the girl I was running next to begin to pull away. Damage control began. Could I hold on to a Boston Qualifying time? Each mile split was looking a bit slower, and my legs just didn't have the speed I demanded from them. With 5 miles left to go, I calculated that sub 8 minute miles could get me the BQ, so I pushed hard...for a 8:15. The question answered itself then. It would be close, but it would not happen. I blew it. If I had just gone for the BQ, would I have made it? Who knows. With just 6/10 of a mile from the finish, I saw my qualifying time come and go...but I was so slow by then, it took me over 8 more minutes to finish. I had blew up long ago, and had come to terms with it, so my last 4 miles were me enjoying the day. Looking at the other runners and encouraging them as they blazed by me. Being happy that I was able bodied enough to even be doing this. I have more things to be happy about than not. Boston will always be there, and in a year or 3, perhaps I'll try again. It's taken me 2 weeks to write this, and the day after this run, the Boston bombing took place and the world changed again. I'll go back to Boston....I'll certainly go back.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I gotta push things to the limit, and let the cards fall where they may.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled back to my car, zoomed back to my shitty hotel room to take a shower so I could drive for almost 3 hours back home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going to fast, to soon.

Last updated: 2013-04-06 12:00 AM
Running
03:33:18 | 26.2 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 48/204
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %