LOCO Sports
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 16m 16s
Overall Rank = 662/870
Age Group = 30-34F
Age Group Rank = 48/73
Pre-race routine:

Ate NUtrigrain bar and had a cup of coffee, since it was going to be about 2 1/2 hour between leaving my house and race time. Drove to a meet up spot halfway to the race to pick up my friend. Drove up to the race. They had a shuttle service to take us to the event start. Registration was inside a school, which was nice because we could stay warm. We got our numbers and shirts - nice shirts! - went to the bathroom, then checked out the old race shirts for sale. I got one that says "WILL RUN FOR BEER!" in hot pink. Yes!
THen met up with some people from my old Team in Training team in Portsmouth. Stretch a little, then went to bag check, then headed over to the race start (it was about a half mile walk).
Event warmup:

See above.
Run
  • 2h 16m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I wasn't particularly well-trained (no hill work, only 3 long runs) but overall it went really well. The downhills started to wear on my knees, and the last 3 miles were tiring, but I felt pretty ok. ACtually, the first 9 miles went really fast, just breezed by!
What would you do differently?:

Train? Maybe if they made plans or something I could have used one. I looked everywhere but didn't find anything...
Post race
Warm down:

hobbled around for a little bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

hills, and of course lack of training. :-p

Event comments:

I actually really liked this race. I knew of the reputation that it was hard and hilly, which it was, but that made the race go by faster (change of scenery). It was extremely well-organized (the bag check was great, the shuttle), there was post-race beer - yay! - as well as chili and soup, vendors with Hint water (tasty, try it! I liked the grapefruit a lot), Cascadia granola, and fruit. THere was even a band playing.

Last updated: 2013-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:16 | 13.1 miles | 10m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/73
Overall: 0/870
Performance: Good
Course: HILLY! A couple were quite steep, with steep downhills too. The worst was a short but steep little bugger right in the last half mile before the finish. I mean, really? There no other way to map this course? (And the answer to that question is, no, there is another way, and they are probably going to change it for next year)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-24 8:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Great Bay Half Marathon

2013-04-24 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4714145

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Great Bay Half Marathon
I can 100% verify that you'll run for beer.Damn you are a racing ho these days! Nice freekin' work! Especially with a hilly course.
2013-04-24 11:37 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Nice work Brie!  Sounds like a fun race, beer and chili post race, nice!
2013-04-25 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nice JOB! Sounds like a fun race! We'll have to hang out with you in your "will run for beer" shirt and me in my "will run for chocolate shirt" Laughing

2013-04-25 2:22 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Food and booze are great motivators, IMO, and ice cream!   You did great on this race especially with limited training!  Color me jealous.  Glad you had a fun time, got a cool race shirt and a cool beer shirt!
2013-04-26 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Great job! I wish I could run like that on little training, with hills! You are speedy. You will have to post a pic of your new pink shirt. At the half I do each year, some residents pass out beer to runners, during the race. LOL

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Bay Half Marathon Rss Feed