General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New TomTom Multi-sport Watch Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-25 1:44 PM

Subject: New TomTom Multi-sport Watch

I have read reviews on the new TomTom watch.

Some individuals have tested the watch and it appears to be comparable to the 910xt.

I currently have a a forerunner 305 and am looking to upgrade (mainly for the swim features).

Does anyone have any inside information on it (price? release date? strengths/weakness compared to the 910xt)?

Would it be wise to just wait for DCRainmaker to get his hands on it?

The 910xt seems to get rave reviews from almost all users so I want to know if the TomTom can compete.

Thanks!

2013-04-25 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4715053

User image

Saint Paul, MN
Subject: RE: New TomTom Multi-sport Watch
I used to have the Nike GPS, which used TomTom technology and hated it. it didn't seem as accurate as the Garmin. My pace always seemed to jump all over the place even though I was running at a steady pace.

Edited by jlruhnke 2013-04-25 1:58 PM
2013-04-25 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I have not heard anything about the TomTom watch but i was looking at the Magellan watch before I bought my 310.  I decided on the 310 because even thought the Magellan had some really cool features and was a bridget between the 310 and 910, had good reviews from DC Rainmaker...it was still the first generation. 

Personally I would wait for maybe a 2nd generation or more for them to get the bugs worked out.  There are probabaly features that were left off to get it to production too so upcoming generations will have more features...

Just my humble opinion...

2013-04-25 4:30 PM

User image

Los Gatos

DC Rainmaker's initial thoughts are here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/04/tomtomgpspreview.html

2013-04-25 11:44 PM

User image

Pro

the short answer on the new Tom Tom is that it looks like a nice watch-

but it's not ANT+.  Instead they went BLE for their interface.  You can get an HR monitor or a bike cadence sensor for it- but your old Ant+ ones won't work.  The real kicker is that I don't believe there's a power meter out there that will work with it.

2013-04-26 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4715665

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Stages new crankarm pm has ble and ant+, dc rainmaker has a list of the in progress ble pm. Likely not much of an issue if you're starting wo a pm.

2013-04-26 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4715665

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Stages new crankarm pm has ble and ant+, dc rainmaker has a list of the in progress ble pm. Likely not much of an issue if you're starting wo a pm.
2014-01-07 8:19 PM
in reply to: dbilek

Chicago, Illinois
I got the new Tom Tom Multi-sport watch a few weeks ago. In short, the watch is a 4 out of 5. The GPS loads in less than 10 seconds. I have tried other watches where you stand there for more than a minute waiting for the GPS to lock in. The watch is accurate and the interface is very easy to use.

The watch is also lightweight and slim. A lot of the Garmin watches are big and bulky.

My only issue with it is you have to push off the wall very hard when swimming laps for the watch's accelerometer to tally up a lap. So far, the lap count has only worked about 75% of the time.
2014-01-07 9:33 PM
in reply to: dbilek

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I looked at the Tom Tom Multisport which Clever Training, Amazon, and Ebay all seem to be selling for around $249 with the HRM (it's about $199 without). Ultimately I went with a 310xt because it was a bit less expensive and I could use my current HR strap with it. I was also able to pick up the Garmin Speed/ Cadence Sensor for about $36. If a little extra $$ isn't an issue, then I would look at the 910xt. It seems to be the best option out there at the moment.
2014-01-07 9:59 PM
in reply to: alwmalone

User image

Pro

Originally posted by alwmalone ...My only issue with it is you have to push off the wall very hard when swimming laps for the watch's accelerometer to tally up a lap. So far, the lap count has only worked about 75% of the time.

Your comment about the TomTom requiring a strong push has been posted in various places.  I really did love the form factor and simplicity.  It's a surprisingly slim watch with a big, clear display.  And really, pretty much all the features you need.

I've had a Swimovate Poolmate for a couple years, and it gets about 97% of the laps.  Fails when I switch strokes,  rarely counts a lap of breaststroke but otherwise, it's been a useful tool.

I've tried the 910xt, and it was probably 99% accurate, but it would take a while to register the laps, so, I'd come off a wall and look at the watch and it was often a lap or two behind.  When I finished the set- it was generally right.  So- not as useful to look at in mid-swim and this bugged me.  If it missed a lap AND it was a lap behind- it would throw me off in counting.  (oh, in my world a lap = 1 length, not a round trip)

I've only had my Ambit2 for a few weeks and a few swims, but so far, it's been perfect in counting laps.  And, after I 'taught' it my strokes, it correctly identifies Free, butterfly, Backstroke and Breaststroke.  Automatically senses pauses in your swimming and groups sets.  So far, my favorite swimming watch yet.  haven't tried it for OWS yet.  When summer arrives, I'll do an OWS test with another watch in my swim cap for distance accuracy comparison.  Suunto has updated the firmware for this since DCRainmaker's test.

2014-01-08 1:59 AM
in reply to: jlruhnke

Originally posted by jlruhnke

I used to have the Nike GPS, which used TomTom technology and hated it. it didn't seem as accurate as the Garmin. My pace always seemed to jump all over the place even though I was running at a steady pace.

Ditto. Bought the Nike GPS watch & it's sh*t. Would only pick up a signal half the time so ended up using the foot sensor when running. And after 13 months it has now let water in... sending it back to Nike even though warranty has now expired by a month.

2014-01-08 10:03 AM
in reply to: zedzded

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by zedzded
Originally posted by jlruhnke I used to have the Nike GPS, which used TomTom technology and hated it. it didn't seem as accurate as the Garmin. My pace always seemed to jump all over the place even though I was running at a steady pace.
Ditto. Bought the Nike GPS watch & it's sh*t. Would only pick up a signal half the time so ended up using the foot sensor when running. And after 13 months it has now let water in... sending it back to Nike even though warranty has now expired by a month.

Don't compare this standalone TomTom to the Nike junk as it's a million times better and actually has one of the best instant pace functions out there.

2014-01-08 4:50 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by jlruhnke I used to have the Nike GPS, which used TomTom technology and hated it. it didn't seem as accurate as the Garmin. My pace always seemed to jump all over the place even though I was running at a steady pace.

Don't compare this standalone TomTom to the Nike junk as it's a million times better and actually has one of the best instant pace functions out there.

I completely agree. The instant pace function does not jump around at all for me.
2014-01-08 6:47 PM
in reply to: thebigb

Originally posted by thebigb

I didn't have any issues with the data from the watch, the main issue was picking up a GPS signal. Sometimes it was quick, other times I couldnt get one at all despite being in the same spot and the Nike uses TomTom technology doesn't it? Or perhaps it's something Nike have done to the watch that has messed with the GPS tech either way it's complete junk and i would not recommend anyone buy one especially since it has leaked water which is ridiculous considering I have used a number of $10 chinese watches when i go surfing* and they have lasted me years.

*I've lost a couple of expensive watches surfing hence the reason I use Kmart jobbies now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New TomTom Multi-sport Watch Rss Feed