General Discussion Race Reports! » Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bone Island Tri - Full Iron Course - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key West, Florida
United States
Questor Multisport & Set Up Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 29m 30s
Overall Rank = 19/127
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Arrived on Thursday after 4 hour drive down. Traveled with good friend who was also racing and we checked into condo that we rented. Went down to race start area and checked out transition etc. That night found great Tai place in walking distance. Friday was a short swim and then pre race meetings. We did the pasta dinner at host hotel but was NOT good, should have gone on our own, but met a few others doing full distance and went back and slept.

Race morning was quiet and we had 5 minute drop off at transition. Packed up & dropped off special need bags for bike and run and walked to beach start. For some reason the longer the race the more at ease I am at the start. Things were calm for me.
Event warmup:

None. Just felt the water and prepared for long day.
Swim
  • 1h 14m 30s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim start was slow due to shallow water. I checked my watch and was still walking to 1st buoy at 3 minute mark. After that, we swam into little chop and current for .6 miles. After the turnaround it was much better. With wet suits it was pretty easy swim for me. Not fast, but I felt great coming out of the water and used little energy. Wet suit strippers at the end of the dock were great.
What would you do differently?:

Not much here. I intentially held some back for rest of the day.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

This was a slower transition and I could have knocked off at least 90 seconds. But took my time for arm coolers and to get shoes on due to rocky exit our of T1.

Better manage the clock. Those arm coolers take forever to put on, not sure I would wear again.
Bike
  • 6h 09m 51s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.17 mile/hr
Comments:

I had hurt my IT Band badly about 3 weeks prior so was working on major taper. Was just wondering when injury would rear its head. So set off on the bike and all was well, tried to keep modest pace into the wind. First loop was great and was about 5-10 minutes behind my friend. 2nd loop was a bit more painful and the 2nd go into the wind was bringing my speed down to 12 mph at times. At that point I was getting frustrated. The tail wind the last 30 miles was just heaven. It was also getting sneaky hot out there, around 85. I live in these temps so not worried and I like the heat, but made sure to drink a little more water. We only had one bridge to go over (2x) and it was pretty tame. My IT Band was acting up around mile 60 and I popped a few advil and crossed my fingers. Luckily it never got too bad. I liked the course and never had trouble with cars on US-1. Some patches of road were rough, but it wasnt too bad.

Well, nutrition was ok until this genious move. During training we stopped 1/2 way on long rides and got a chocoloate milk or two and it was like water in an oasis. So I thought good idea to pack a chocolate milk in a freexer bag in special needs area and enjoy it half way. Well, in 85 degrees nothing stays cold I learned. So yes, I drank it anyway. For next 10 miles I had to stop myself from throwing up cause I knew it would go downhill quick from there. Just dumb move.
Transition 2
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

Really tool too long here and after that bike and what laid ahead, I didnt care. Took my time to put on calf compression socks, lube the feet etc.

Suppose I could take off 2:00 and still get down what I did.
Run
  • 4h 57m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

My run training was the weakest of the 3. Longest run was 16 miles and most weeks averaged 30 miles or so. I just went in with the plan of undertrain and be healthy. That didnt happen with IT Band Injury, but thought I could give it a go and "will" the last 8-10 miles... Yeah right.

The first loop was actualy not to bad, I managed to jog 95% of it. Then the 2nd loop was just a matter of survival. My legs were weak, HR was high and had to conserve if I was to finish at all. Started to barter with myself and run 1:00, walk 1:00 etc. Then started giving land mark goals like next light pole etc. Didnt help. Tried everything to keep cool too. Carried wet sponge in my hat, poured water on my head whenever I could and used ice when I could find it. Aid stations were about every 1.5 miles which was perfect. After the 2nd loop I was pretty mentally whipped though. But knew I could always walk and be ok. I really wanted under 12:00:00, but at mile 12, knew wasnt happening after doign the math. Somehow though I started to feel better on 3rd loop and ran 75% of it. I think it was pure joy of getting closer to being done. With the final 5k left I wanted to go as best I could but IT Band was throbbing and I physically could go more than 9:00 per mile. The final mile or so along Duval street was great with lots of folks cheering. I think they had no idea race was goign on, but the drunk cheers were appreciated anyway. Talked to 1 or 2 guys in that stretch and tried to keep with them, but no go. One of them ended up beating me by 30 seconds in AG! In fact, the difference of 5th and 2nd in my age group was 10 minutes!

Not much here... My run training was way low and I counted on mental toughness to carry me and well, that only goes so far.
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line, there was a nice cold coke and pizza calling my name. Such a small race that I didnt expect much, but finish area was really off the beaten path. Was actually suprised I could stand and carry good conversation. Strange that I have felt much worse after some 1/2's I have done. Now I felt it more the next day, but right after the race I was feeling ok. We went back to condo and sat in the pool for while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injury didnt help, but happy with my first IM. So many areas I could improve and it will take time. That is actually biggest factor, time to train. I may be in great minority saying I didnt even have a training plan for this race. I had basic outline in my head, but never put pen to paper to map it out. I averaged about 10-12 hours per week and peaked a few times with 13-15 hours. That is not that much compared to most.

Event comments:

I was waiting for the point in the race where my body said no more and I had to tough it out mentally. Everyone talks about it, but I have rarely been there. That happened after about mile 7 of the run. Now I wish I would have been under 12:00:00, but its a 1st IM and a PR so just more reason to come back next year. They did a good job with the event IMHO and with the right conditions, this could be anyones IM PR. Flat course, nice swim and mild conditions. Would be doubtful to see 85 degrees in the Keys in January, but never know.

Last updated: 2012-11-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:30 | 4224 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 0/127
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Course went North for about .6 miles then back down South for 1.8. The trip south was with current and wind so it was fast. The first section, not so much. Some chop due to wind, but not bad.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:09:51 | 112 miles | 18.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course was 28 miles up and back, repeat. There were two exits to make the full distance work and side roads were uneventful other than nice break from the wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
04:57:35 | 26.2 miles | 11m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/9
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 loop run with last 5k into Downtown Key West. Most of run is on on wide sidewalk with breeze off the water it was nice. Great views as well.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes