General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My run form SUCKS! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-26 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Subject: My run form SUCKS!
I always assumed I had good form when running.  I am more of a glider type of runner with an average of 8 min mile.  With my nagging hip pain I took a class at a run clinic (NB Good Form Running clinic 1) about a month or so back and found out I heel strike.  We did drills and talked about how to run and so on. I've been trying to change the way I run and bought some saucony rides which have a 8mm heel compared to my gel nimbus with a 12mm heel and after repeated drill and videos I still am heel striking, although not quite as bad.  I feel like my stride is half of what it was and the new way just feels weird.  Who else is having a problem heel striking and how did you fix it? 

2013-04-26 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4715970

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4715985

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: My run form SUCKS!
tkos - 2013-04-26 10:11 AM

Heel striking isn't the issue. Likely you are over striding. That is a big issue. What matters is where your foot lands in relation to your body overall, and that should be pretty much under your hips.

If you are prone to injury the way you are currently running, I might suggest seeing a sports PT or coach that can analyse your gait and find out your weak spots. I did recently. I also had a full PT assessment done and was give exercises to address issues where I was chronically getting injured. 

In the short term you may wish to try and get your cadence up and that may very well help. I found a nice mp3 of a 90 bpm cadence on the internet somewhere and I play it while running slowly (say Z2). It got my turn over rate up, which naturally tends to make you not over stride. That has also helped with my injuries. And I have been injury free this whole year and setting PB's and now I am running over 200 km a month. I was never able to do that before.

Not seeing your run, of course, but I'd agree with this.  Most of the time people over stride causing the harsh landing.  Higher cadence will likely help, also I've found that many people that over stride also have an awkward arm motion where they swing too high and/or up across their chest.  This is counter productive as it causes you to stand too straight up (as opposed to a proper ankle lean).  To fix this I recommend people think about shooting a gun so that you are reaching straight out with your arms instead up pulling them up.

2013-04-26 9:41 AM

Champion
Sarasota, FL

In my case I can attribute back, knee, Achilles and hamstring issues in part with overstriding. 

When I was able to start running again after my Achilles injury in 2011, I started out doing short runs focusing on shortening my stride, maintaining an upright posture. mid-foot strike and higher cadence. Up until that point I had just run "naturally" and not thought too much about my form.   At first I felt like I was almost running in place or stuck in low gear on a bike, but I've stayed healthy and that has allowed me to maintain consistency and higher overall volume in my training.

Most of what I incorporated into my running was gleaned from discussions here on BT, various articles and some from the Chi Running book.

I've never been a speed demon, but I have improved my times significantly since my injury and actually enjoy running these days.

Mark

2013-04-26 9:46 AM

Pro
We just had a seminar from one of our tri club sponsors who is a successful coach and working on his Ph.D. on physiology of running. To sum up what he spent an hour talking about, it's not so much heel striking as over striding. There's lots of literature suggesting this, and also literature showing that even people who are not heel strikers wind up becoming heel strikers by the end of race (HM and marathon distance).
2013-04-26 9:46 AM

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
all I can add is you guys are giving me hope :-)

2013-04-26 9:53 AM

Extreme Veteran
Colorado
X5 on over-striding and adjusting cadence. Seriously, get a 90 bpm or 180 bpm click track, play it while you run for a few weeks and I'll bet it'll help.

For me, the 180 bpm track worked better since it gave one click for each time a foot hit the ground rather than just one foot. Also, I found it very useful to alternate my old cadence with the new cadence - 30 seconds old, 30 seconds off. It is a pain to do, but it gives you a solid feel for the two different styles.

Give it plenty of time to settle in, too. It'll take a couple weeks just to get used to the quicker cadence and smooth out your stride. At first I felt like I was landing heavy and loud and it just felt awkward. After about 2 weeks it became more natural and I stared moving up the time - 1 min new style, 30 sec. old style. Now, 6 weeks out, the faster cadence is MUCH more comfortable, much lighter, and faster.

2013-04-26 10:19 AM

Regular
Jenison, MI
In the same boat as you...and agree with everyone else above. Working on my cadence to prevent the overstriding as well. I've found I am getting pretty good at keeping a cadence of ~180 for 2-3 miles but I tend to slip as I go farther and get a little fatigued. Trying to do more of that and keeping my mind conscious of the cadence...I use a Garmin 910XT with a foot pod to monitor.Progress has been good for me so far, I think, but still have more to go. Also, one important thing to note from the research I've done: 180spm is not necessarily your ideal cadence...it should be regarded as the *minimum* for most people doing running. You may actually be more natural at a slightly higher cadence, if you can actually believe that. The fact remains, though, that a cadence of 180 or higher should help to reduce or eliminate overstriding.Good luck! I know I need it!
2013-04-26 10:34 AM

Expert
Wendell, NC

I had similar issues w/ overstride/heel srike and changed my stride with Chi classes but it took 6 months to get it and 3 years later, I'm still improving and working on it.  It saved my knees, haven't had issues since and am now training for a 50 miler.  A metronome helps.  Set it to 90 beeps per minute and touch Lt foot w/ each beat.  See here:  http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-DM50-Compact-Metronome-Blue/dp/B000B5MU4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366990173&sr=8-1&keywords=cadence+metronome

You are going to feel really awkward for a while.  You're re-training YEARS of muscle memory but IMO it's worth the effort.  Keep at it.  It'll give you something to think about on long runs Cool

2013-04-26 11:23 AM

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota

I was able to make a crude video of my form (wife stole the ipad )with my droid so if any run gurus out there could give it a quick look and give some feedback I'd appreciate it.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t03ZfGANaCA

2013-04-26 11:34 AM
in reply to: #4716257

Payson, AZ
lakelandsledder - 2013-04-26 9:23 AM

I was able to make a crude video of my form (wife stole the ipad )with my droid so if any run gurus out there could give it a quick look and give some feedback I'd appreciate it.  

What's that white stuff in the background???

2013-04-26 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4716274

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
bzgl40 - 2013-04-26 11:34 AM
lakelandsledder - 2013-04-26 9:23 AM

What's that white stuff in the background???

LOL!!! STILL have about a foot of it on the ground but it's upper 50's toda and supposed to be in the 60's this weekend so it should start melting soon.  

2013-04-26 1:09 PM

Regular
Portland, Oregon

http://www.youtubeslow.com/index.php?v=t03ZfGANaCA

Its a crappy way to watch it slo-mo...but seems like you are still landing a bit in front of your body.

Using a BPM counter app, I got 181bpm on the way out and 177 on the way back...so you are pretty close to 90. Either try:

upping the cadence just a bit more - should force you to land underneath your hips. (remember 90 isn't a set in stone rule, just a guide)

Or, kick more so your ankles finish closer to your butt. That will put more power in each step and put your legs further back...also bringing in the footstrike.

If you really want to switch to midfoot strike, a thinner sole would help. Ever try heel striking while barefoot? Ouch!

2013-04-26 3:26 PM

Regular

Like someone previously said they used to just run 'naturally'. I've also always done this without giving thought to form, except just keeping my head up.

But I think this might help some problems I've had recently with my shins. I'll give it a test tomorrow morning, see how different the running style is to what I normally do.

Thanks all.

2013-04-26 3:35 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-26 4:59 PM

Elite
Cleveland
lakelandsledder - 2013-04-26 12:23 PM

Bend less at the waist and more at the ankles.  

2013-04-26 5:35 PM

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Thanks everyone!  This helps!
2013-04-26 8:42 PM

Expert
Wendell, NC
another thing.  Don't just think about your form when you run, think about it as you walk about your day as well.  Keep feet under you, lift heels, back straight pelvis flat etc.
2013-04-27 5:32 AM

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark

Who else is (having a problem) heel striking and how did you fix it? 

Literally every single top olympic marathon runner. 

2013-04-27 9:15 AM

Lenexa, KS

Like you've probably heard several times in this thread it's not necessarily heel striking that's the issue, but the point at which your foot hits the ground and the angle you're creating with that leg in relation to your body. Two tips for this is making sure your foot lands underneath you and that your knee is bent (comparatively you will feel like you're under-striding or shortening your stride). 

So the main three things I noticed from your video were 1. Over-striding and hitting the ground too far in front of you 2. You're bent at the waist causing your body to do excess work and 3. Your head is tucked forward instead of in line with your spine (this can go hand in hand with that bent at the waist syndrome). 

I personally have really had to work on not tucking my head forward when running and its a habit of poor posture in life for me. Sitting at desks, in the car or wherever with terrible posture and that head out of line. Being conscious of doing it and working to keep that spine in line is key. As for keeping it in line while running its a matter of core strength (think entire torso, not just abs). 

I'm working on a video series that will include dissection of some run form as well as drills and exercises to strengthen your core for better form. I'll shoot you a pm when I get the first one up. 

2013-04-27 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4717124

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
funkj25 - 2013-04-27 9:15 AM

Like you've probably heard several times in this thread it's not necessarily heel striking that's the issue, but the point at which your foot hits the ground and the angle you're creating with that leg in relation to your body. Two tips for this is making sure your foot lands underneath you and that your knee is bent (comparatively you will feel like you're under-striding or shortening your stride). 

So the main three things I noticed from your video were 1. Over-striding and hitting the ground too far in front of you 2. You're bent at the waist causing your body to do excess work and 3. Your head is tucked forward instead of in line with your spine (this can go hand in hand with that bent at the waist syndrome). 

I personally have really had to work on not tucking my head forward when running and its a habit of poor posture in life for me. Sitting at desks, in the car or wherever with terrible posture and that head out of line. Being conscious of doing it and working to keep that spine in line is key. As for keeping it in line while running its a matter of core strength (think entire torso, not just abs). 

I'm working on a video series that will include dissection of some run form as well as drills and exercises to strengthen your core for better form. I'll shoot you a pm when I get the first one up. 

Thanks much!  I ran yesterday trying to shorten my stride and have correct form.  Ran 1.5 miles and I felt like I ran a half mary!  LOL!  I was exhausted, pace way down, and sore this morn.  There's a 5K I wanted to do today just as a warmup to the season so we'll see how that goes.  

2013-04-27 7:11 PM

Nor*Cal

I switched to Newtons at the beginning of the year. I was previously a 'loud' runner and I was over striding at the front. The Newtons have helped me transition to more of a mid/forefoot runner and my running form and times have improved.

This video has some good analysis of correct foot landing and stride:

Changing stride

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My run form SUCKS! Rss Feed