General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with a sore throat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-26 11:53 AM

User image

Subject: Running with a sore throat

I am sure that most on here will just say HTFU!

But, I lost two week of training in March do to a killer cold that really knocked me on my a$$ and I don't want to go through that again. There is a group run tomorrow morning that I would like to hit, about 5-6 miles, probably about 45-50 degrees.

Are you guys cautions about sore throats, I know some say, neck up cold is ok, but neck down cold is time for rest. Any advice, thanks.

2013-04-26 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4716328

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Running with a sore throat
If it's just going to be an easy run, you know you can hold youself to that, and you don't have any below-the-neck symptoms or general exhaustion tomorrow, then I'd go ahead. If it's a tempo run, or there's any chance it could get competitive, then I'd skip it and do an easy run by yourself, so you can slow down or cut it short if you don't feel well. If you wake up feeling worse, skip it altogether. I don't know about you but for me a sore throat almost always means I'm coming down with something--if I take it easy, sometimes I can avert a full-blown illness.
2013-04-27 3:01 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
no.  Of course last weekend after a 130 minute run a mild sore throat turned into strep and had me passed out with a fever for 48 hours.
2013-04-27 3:18 PM

User image

IMO, I'd go easy. BUT!  If you wake up feeling unusually fatigued, then it's a sign that your body really would prefer rest.  So, should you choose to run, make sure you mega-hydrate then take it very easy the rest of the day/weekend.  I just had this same scenario a couple weeks ago and did the same thing followed w/ Airborne and my favorite immune system cocktails as well as gargling stuff.  I've had this stuff x2 this year and have been pretty successful w/ the above.  Good luck!!!
2013-04-27 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I usually use my heart rate as an indicator.  If my resting heart rate is up over 60 I usually won't work out.  If when I start working out I have an unusually strong sense of fatigue I won't do it either.  If when I work out I start breathing excessively through my mouth I usually won't work through it since my throat can get exceedingly dry.

I was feeling particularly ill prior to a Mountain Bike race.  It was mostly single track so I started way in the back so traffic would slow me down.  About 4 minutes into the race a break formed and I was able to get up to the front.  I rode like crazy and ended up winning my category.  I was so sick the next day I thought I was going to admitted to the ICU.

2013-04-28 2:55 PM

User image

I don't get sick very often but when I do it's usually sore throats. The only times I don't run are when I have (even if it's mild) temperature. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with a sore throat Rss Feed