General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU World Triathlon San Diego - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ITU World Triathlon San Diego - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
ITU World Championship Series
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 26s
Overall Rank = 448/535
Age Group = 60-64
Age Group Rank = 20/21
Pre-race routine:

I dropped off my old bike the day before the race. I left my house early on race morning. I found plenty of parking spaces on arrival. I then caught the shuttle and arrived at Ventura Cove. I set up my transition area and then passed some time relaxing.
Event warmup:

About 20 minutes before my wave started I did a little dry warm-up then I went for a 10 minute warm-up swim.
Swim
  • 16m 16s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did ok with my swim. A little slow, but ok.
Alot of people (181 in my wave) and alot of contact. It really got rough a couple of times (as far as contact). I got boxed in a few times before I reached the 1st buoy. After the 1st buoy, as if by magic, the congestion cleared. It was clear swimming until the finish.

What would you do differently?:

I would start in the front of the pack. I would also swim faster, I held back too much, I have to work on pacing my swim more efficiently.
Transition 1
  • 04m 3s
Comments:

I know 4:03 is a slow T1 overall, but there was actually some improvement for me. I got my suit of a a little more efficiently than usual.

I do need to keep practicing T1 to improve. Ineed a better run out of the transition area to the mounting line.
Bike
  • 48m 55s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I got knocked down in a no pass zone. I was crowded over to the curb and I went down when somebody passed. Fortunately I was not hurt. I'm still mad over going down. However, I've got to let go of it, chalk it up to experience and move forward. The fall probably cost me 2-3 minutes.

I would have somehow prevented the guy that passed me from passing. I should have blocked him from passing until we got out of the no pass zone, and the let him pass when we reached an area where it was safe to pass.
as far as training, I also need more bike work outs and more efficient, "smarter" bike work-outs. I could probably stand to mentally relax a bit more on the bike course too.
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I got back to the transition area and my stuff was scattered all over. That didn't cost me too mucch time because I didn't have to go too far to retrieve it.
I could have still made the transition faster than I did. I normally do T2 in about 1:30.

Move faster, I didn't realize I was taking so much time.
Run
  • 37m 32s
  • 3.48 miles
  • 10m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a bad run for me. There has been some improvement in my run over the past few months.
I gave it everything I had left the last quarter mile.

I'm not sure. I could probably run at a little faster overall pace. Maybe more speed work in my training plan.
Post race
Warm down:

I did a little walking and some stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need more bike work-outs, and probably harder bike work outs (as I mentioned earlier). As far as going down on the bike course, I've really got to watch out. I could be hurt next time, (if ther is a next time).

Event comments:

I didn't do as well as I wanted, but that's OK. I finished way down near the bottom of my age group, but that does not define me. At least I finished. I also had fun and I burned more than 1700 calories.
I will do the Solana Beach Sprint in July and I'm sure I will do better at that race.

Last updated: 2013-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:16 | 820 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/21
Overall: 0/535
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Long Sleeve
Course: A 750 meter swim, there was a strong current. 2 turns then into shore. The current was moving west to east. After the 1st turn, the current was a big help until the 2nd turn.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:03
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:48:55 | 12.43 miles | 15.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/21
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A few turns, some very sharp, some hairpins. Mostly a very flat, fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:37:32 | 03.48 miles | 10m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/21
Course: Flat course on the Mission Bay boardwalk and the beach boardwalk. The distance was a little more than 5K.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-04-26 12:36 PM

User image

El Cajon
Subject: ITU World Triathlon San Diego - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU World Triathlon San Diego - Sprint Course Rss Feed