General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Esprit de She Naperville Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-26 4:02 PM

Subject: Esprit de She Naperville

This is my first time doing this tri and I am wondering if you need a wetsuit for this race.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2013-04-27 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4716714

User image

Aurora , Illinois
Subject: RE: Esprit de She Naperville
My wife did it last year and It wasn't wetsuit legal.  I swim at centenial beach all the time and for the most part think a wetsuit is not necessary.  Just my 2 cents.
2013-04-29 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4716714

User image

Chicago

I've done that race many times and have never worn a wetsuit there.  However, one year, the organizers suggested that everyone wear one because the water was very cold.  Given our very chilly spring so far, it could be cold this year.  The wetsuit is really your choice as I doubt it would ever be required for a race like Naperville - that water just isn't going to get cold enough to require a wetsuit. 

If you do decide to get a wetsuit, be sure to try it on before purchasing.  They are meant to be tight, but not suffocating.  There really is no one "best" wetsuit - it is very much an individual thing.

Best of luck to you in Naperville!

MJ Gasik

2013-05-24 1:34 PM
in reply to: finetuned

I'm also doing Esprit de She... have you made a decision or heard anything further about wearing a wetsuit? I have to rent one and I keep waiting because I don't want to waste the money!
2013-05-24 2:23 PM
in reply to: blosika

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

Originally posted by blosika I'm also doing Esprit de She... have you made a decision or heard anything further about wearing a wetsuit? I have to rent one and I keep waiting because I don't want to waste the money!

I've done this race 5-6 times and never once have I worn a wetsuit. The swim course is laid out in a strange zig zag configuration so if you're looking for buoyancy, you really won't need it... not a lot of straight swimming, and when you turn the zig zag corners toward the shallow end, you can actually walk.

The swim is short enough so that any advantage you gained in speed would be negated by the time it takes to take the dang thing off in T1.

I will see you there! I will not be wearing a wetsuit!

2013-05-24 3:09 PM
in reply to: Whizzzzz

Thank you! I've done two open/supers, but I'm nervous about my first sprint. Appreciate the insight! Anything else you have to offer would also be appreciated

2013-06-03 11:07 AM
in reply to: Whizzzzz

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
You really don't need a wetsuit at this race. I agree with all previous comments.

I'll be volunteering at the bodymarking, so hoping to see all of you there!!
2013-06-03 3:14 PM
in reply to: Lyoshka

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Just my 2 cents... you don't need a wetsuit at any event at Centennial Beach, unless you're an absolutely terrible swimmer and need the buoyancy. The amount of time you'll save in the water will be negated by the amount of time it takes to get the suit off in transition. The water isn't even that cold right now (not that it's super warm yet)... save your money.
2013-06-04 12:59 PM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
Bronze member
The water temp is only in the upper 60's....I don't do well in cold water, so I'm pretty sure I'll be wearing a wet suit. I'm sure there will be plenty of women not wearing them though! This is the coldest water I can recall in the many times I've done this race. Let's hope for some sunshine this week to warm things up!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Esprit de She Naperville Rss Feed