iTri Events
71F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 4/12
Pre-race routine:

This was a very beginner friendly/oriented Tri. I got up at 4:20 am, got everything together and hit the road to Katy, TX - a 45 min trip. I ate oatmeal w/ raisins and whey protein on the way as well as an apple.
Event warmup:

Just stretched a bit. This was the first race I have ever done that we didn't have any warm up. They didn't let anyone in the pool beforehand.
Swim
  • 05m 23s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was my best swim ever. Toward the last few laps I kept hitting a guy's feet and either breast stroked or walked if it was shallow to slow the pace down. I didn't want to spend the extra energy to pass him.

Two things I'll note 1) They needed steps to get out of the pool. If they weren't going to have them, then they should have let people know in their general information package. 2) The RD didn't explain well how the swim course would go since the pool had 8 lanes. Everyone was a bit confused at the start which lanes would only have one direction and which would have two. A guy beside me even went out of his way to ask her to explain it over her PA bullhorn, but she didn't. (????) It worked itself out once we started...I guess as long as the first few people knew, then we'd follow...
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

This was the fastest T1 I've ever had. It helped that the transition area was right outside the natorium...literally only 30 feet away.

AFter the flying mount, I was slipping trying to get my feet into my shoes and they were spinning around. It only took 2-3 extra seconds. Because it was going to rain, I decided to use my old LG bike shoes instead of the new Specialized Trivents.
Bike
  • 48m 19s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off with a slight tail wind, averaging 20 mph and knew it wouldn't last. Later on I had to back off to get my heart rate down. The last mile I slowed down and started stretching some. Top speed was 21.1 mph...much earlier in the race.

*** The main issue I have is that after about 3 miles, there were no cones designating a bike area and we suddenly had traffic around us, cutting us off, passing, etc. At the first turn, the person wasn't even out of their car waving people the right way. The other main turns had cops directing traffic with orange cones noting a designated bike area. But, it was only for about 20 feet before and after.

Nothing - trainer harder!
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

I have to give iTri events kudos here. They had volunteers taking your bike and racking it while another volunteer brought you the T2 (shoe) bag. It made it my fastest T2 ever.

NOTHING - it went great.
Run
  • 25m 5s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was actually 2.6 miles as several people confirmed with their Garmins. Oh, well. It makes me look real fast for race stats at 3.0 miles. I would have liked to see another water station. They had one at the 'alleged 1.5 mile' point. I wasn't dying of thirst but it would have been nice to get a little sip of water at each mile.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

talked with some people, checked results.

Event comments:

After getting rained out at this last groups event in March, I was a bit hesitant to do another of their events. I think the race went 'OK' and could have been better. They need better controls around the bike route to keep traffic out of the bike area. The volunteers racking bikes and bringing shoes was spectacular! The medal was OK, too. Overall, I'd say I'd do it again next year.

Last updated: 2013-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:23 | 328 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Katy High School's Natorium. Used 7 of the 8 lanes to swim 300 meters.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:45
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:48:19 | 14 miles | 17.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: It was a good rectanglular course. About 50% of it was smooth asphalt and the rest was tolerable asphalt.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:05 | 02.6 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Course: out and back course that wandered through a neighborhood. Overall it was a decent run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes