General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-28 8:41 AM

Subject: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon
Kure Beach is bringing back the triathlon this year on June 15th.  The Step up for soliders and fire department are running it and I know that Toms combat mud run is always so much fun so I bet its going to be just as good as previous years.  Kure Beach is always a good vacation to take.  Anyone else have any more information I'm registered and have it booked! 

2013-04-29 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4717718

Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon

I've already announced my position on this.

Not going to do a race which was basically a hostile takeover by Kure beach. I have always been a big supported of Setup and this race left a bad taste in my mouth after they were forced out, had the race taken over, used the same name and same courses. No originality.

Obviously you know a lot about the race and you are a new user so I presume you are one of the race organizer's or promoters as you mention vacationing at Kure, but you also know a lot about the Step up for soldiers so you must be a local, so why would you vacation at Kure if you are local.

For that matter, how many people are racing. There is no participant list, so I wouldn't even consider registering unless I was aware of how many people are in the race. With over 400 people registered last year it was a blast, but with 20 or so people in a race, I would find it boring.

I'm going to Asheville to do Enka @ Biltmore instead.

Sorry I swallowed the bitter pill this AM as I loved this race. Now I can never do it again.

Edited by notasfast 2013-04-29 9:22 AM
2013-04-29 5:05 PM

I have a buddy who lives in Wilmington who says that Set Up got screwed on this deal. He said the city of Kure Beach internationally tried to over-charge them for services and then when Set Up discovered it and protested they threw them out. Sounds like a bunch of typical small town crooked politicians to me. I hope this race falls on its face.

2013-04-29 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4719733

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
x2 what notasfast said. sux.
2013-04-30 8:47 AM

So let me see if I have this correct. The city of Kure Beach tries to charge Set Up Events a ridiculous amount of money, Set Up refuses to pay, Kure Beach kicks them out and decides to do the race themselves. They use the same format and courses that Set Up had and they use the same race name. The race is not sanctioned by USA Triathlon and is being put on by people who have never staged a triathlon before - and they want you to pay $65 to race. Have I got this correct?  Take a guess where I stand on this. Rotten d-bags.

2013-04-30 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh

I have no experience with this race but did hear about the "takeover" and think that was crazy. With that in mind I'd have to pass on this event too..

Plus FS Series has the 3 Little Pigs Sprint Triathlon which was hella fun last year on that date!

2013-04-30 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4720432

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
runningsucks - 2013-04-30 9:47 AM

So let me see if I have this correct. The city of Kure Beach tries to charge Set Up Events a ridiculous amount of money, Set Up refuses to pay, Kure Beach kicks them out and decides to do the race themselves. They use the same format and courses that Set Up had and they use the same race name. The race is not sanctioned by USA Triathlon and is being put on by people who have never staged a triathlon before - and they want you to pay $65 to race. Have I got this correct?  Take a guess where I stand on this. Rotten d-bags.

I think Kure Beach screwed themselves on this one and do not approve of what they did with setup.

On a side note. The timing company that will be doing this has not done a tri (to my knowledge) but they do put on a duathlon every year. They time a number of running races including the pretty big Battleship Half Marathon. Lets not assume they will do a bad job just because you have not heard of them.

I am all for giving Kure Beach a hard time for this deal, but you cannot blame the timing company for taking on a business opportunity, especially in todays tough times.

2013-04-30 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4718740

I am certainly not a race director or promoter of this event, even though I do promote this event because of what Step Up For Soldiers does. Being military I am certainly a supporter of everything he does as well as my brothers. I am a Marine at Camp Lejeune and did the mud run this past weekend at the Armory which is why I decided to see where everyone stands.  I had no idea that he was running the Kure Beach event until speaking with him at the mud run this weekend.  From what I understand what the town had going on with Setup has no tie to his organization, he is also a volunteer at the volunteer fire department.  Yes I do vacation at Kure because it is quite close and is a great weekend getaway from the military life.  Whatever happened with setup and the town I really dont care because all of the profit is going to benefit disabled soldiers.  I have personally seen one of my brothers go from peak condition to disabled on a tour overseas and feel great knowing that what step up for soldiers does directly impacts myself and the people I am around daily. To be so bitter about it Im guessing you must be really into Setup.  From what I saw only $3 of the $55 of the Enka at biltmore goes to benefit the fire department.  Where does the rest go to, setup?  100% of the Kure Beach triathlon is going back to soldiers.  So it all comes down to what are you doing the event for? Personal goals, vacation, the cause? Enjoy running at Enka, where you are running for yourself.  Ill be at Kure beach helping my brothers in arms.  OORAH
2013-04-30 9:39 AM

Its not a town event its a Step up for soldiers and fire department event.  Where is everyone getting that it is a town event. Cant get mad at the guys for wanting to raise money for good causes.  Not a penny goes back to the town so I dont understand the reasoning behind it all.

2013-04-30 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4720520

Have nothing against Step Up For Soldiers. I think what they're doing is great. You're assuming that Step up for Soldiers is going to receive a big check from Kure Beach from their involvement. What happens if this race is a total disaster and Kure Beach loses their ($$). Personally I don't see Step up for Soldiers getting a dime. Yeah I like Set Up a lot. I like what they have brought to the NC triathlon community for years. I know a lot of their people - Benji, Jeremy, etc. - quality people. Bottom line is - they got the shaft from Kure Beach.
2013-04-30 9:57 AM

There's something that smells about this deal. I just got through to the mayor of Kure Beach (Dean Lambeth). Thought that was strange - just asked for the mayor and the next thing you know he's on the line. He told me the reason that Set Up was denied a permit for 2013 was because they failed to pay a $240 invoice from the 2012 race. I had heard that Set Up in fact paid that invoice and when I asked Lambeth that question he said "well yeah they paid it, but they paid it late - a couple of days after our deadline". I asked him if it didn't seem odd that Kure Beach would kick out Set Up for paying a $240 invoice a couple of days after the deadline. I mean here's a company who started this race back in the 1990s, the race brought in hundreds of people every year and Kure Beach is denying them a permit for late payment of a $240 invoice?  He had NOTHING to say to that and in fact suddenly had to take another call.

2013-04-30 10:01 AM

Charlotte, NC

Runner568, I apologise if I offended and I respect your commitment to country and your bothers in arms. My hat off to you as well serving to keep our great country protected and safe.

Much like your loyalty to your fellow bothers the triathlon community has loyalty to its races and organizers as well. I know people who will only race Ironman races, where others will not event go near them. Personal choice, and I started racing with Setup years ago and have never had nothing but great experiences with Bill, Lynda, Benji etc. 

Being older, and somewhat grumpy on Monday's this was my reaction. Is it the timing companies fault or the race charities fault this race is tarnished. Probably not. But I also do not believe 100% of the $65 is going to the charity. There are costs involved to put on a triathlon and I think $3-5 per entry is a great amount to be donated to the charity. Setup is a business much like I am in sales selling in my territories. I make money from what I do, so I dont see making money as a bad thing.

This issue is Kure Beach doing a hostile takeover of a race established by Setup and then putting it back on under the same name, excluding the people who took the time to build the race over the years just because some greedy government official decided to try and pad their income by overcharging and then getting called out on it. That's what I am boycotting, and the underlying tone of your original message just got under my skin, based on everything else.

2013-04-30 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4720573

Charlotte, NC
jdwal - 2013-04-30 9:57 AM

well yeah they paid it, but they paid it late - a couple of days after our deadline

You can pay a credit card late by up to 30 days and not impact your credit.

As crooked as Kure Beach sounds, I would put it past them that they sent the bill after the due date.

Edited by notasfast 2013-04-30 10:06 AM
2013-04-30 10:33 AM

Don't give the timing company a total pass on this either. I'm a member of the Wilmington Road Runners and have been actively involved in the local running scene for years. The company timing the Kure Beach triathlon has "stolen" a number of races from one of Wilmington's longtime timers - Herb Dykes. They contacted a lot of Herbs races and told these races that they would do it for less money than Herb was charging them. Probably nothing illegal here - but very unethical. Sounds like a match made in heaven.
2013-04-30 10:46 AM

Let me put an additional spin onto this discussion. I have some good friends here in Wilmington whose next door neighbors are getting ready to file a lawsuit against Kure Beach and specifically the town inspector over an issue regarding a home they're building in Kure Beach. Seems that this inspector has intentionally held up approving inspections on this new home based on some disagreements that this couple had with this inspector. I didn't get the whole story, but it's obviously enough to give this couple enough reason to file a lawsuit. These inspection delays have ended up costing this couple thousands of dollars.

Oh yeah - this inspector is the same guy who tried to defraud Set Up out of thousands of dollars.

That's the great thing about Wilmington - it's small enough that crap like this always rises to the surface.

2013-04-30 10:58 AM

I am a firefighter for New Hanover County and personally know both Tom Russell (step up for soldiers) and Ed Kennedy (Ocean Rescue director with the fire dept) the two guys that went in together to try to bring this triathlon back for both the people that love the race and for a good cause, so my opinion may seem a bit biased compared to the loyal Setup competitors.  Yes I did just created my account to express my opinion after reading the comments so dont get bent out of shape that I am a promoter or whatever because I do not have a care in the world to run an event like that. I also have run many races through setup and I feel that they are flawless in many aspects and that they probably lead the market in race events.  I have also done the combat mud runs and think while they are not quite up to Setups levels, they have a great atmosphere.  free beer, bands, food, etc. I do know that both of those guys have spent many hours setting this event up and that while not all of the money is going to step up for soldiers and the fire dept, the profit they make is.  The town is making no money on this event, and neither are the guys running the event.  I do know personally that they are not trying to steal any ideas and have no direct ties with any of the hooplah that occured, but that comes with the territory. I visit their fire department quite often and know the insides and out of what they have going on and I admire it.  All of our firefighters at our station plans on doing the event to help the cause. In order to understand what goes on you have to understand small town government.  This is not a town ran event it is a Step Up For Soldiers event with the Fire Department helping.  I know Kennedy has built all of the bike racks by hand and has spent countless hours along with Tom to make this successful.  I understand how volunteer fire departments work and that these guys put their lives on the line every day for free, and are willing to give their lives for anyone at anytime.  To not go to this event shows a lack of understanding and support for soldiers and firefighters alike, and I feel is a bit ignorant.  

And to wish this event falls flat on its face is a bit harsh because its not the town that is going to suffer, its the step up for soldiers and the fire department.  Punish the town, not the fire department and step up. 

2013-04-30 11:15 AM

Charlotte, NC

While the cause is good, I have committed to my plans. Instead I will just make a donation to Step Up directly and not give anyone associated with this debacle a penny.

Ultimately though it is still Kure Beach who denied the permit and then approved the new permit for their own fire dept. Still sounds fishy. No matter what charity you associate it with. And by not doing the race, not buying anything in Kure Beach, I dont pay any tax so therefore I am indirectly punishing the city. Normally I would stay 3 nights in Kure

Edited by notasfast 2013-04-30 11:17 AM
2013-04-30 11:21 AM

Firefighter1:  I'm sure that Tom Russell and Ed Kennedy are good people but that's not the issue. "My sources" tell me that the City of Kure Beach sought out a number of other race production companies to take over this race. They got no takers - probably demonstrating the solidarity that race promoters have within the industry. Kure Beach then asked their own fire dept. to put on the race so to say that the city of Kure Beach is not behind this race is ridiculous. They are ultimately funding this race and when 20 people show up to race on June 15th, it's going to be the city that has to pay the bills. If I were a tax payer in Kure Beach - I'd be up in arms. In fact I know a local triathlete who lives down there and I'm going to ask him to attend a council meeting and ask some questions.
2013-04-30 11:58 AM

I can't wait to see what Set Up has planned for that weekend. Anybody else get that e-mail from a couple of weeks ago? The e-mail said that they would be announcing something on that weekend soon. Personally I hope they're going to be doing a triathlon right down the street in Carolina Beach. Nothing on their website yet though.
2013-04-30 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4720827

User image

Elite
N Carolina

uncwalways - 2013-04-30 12:58 PM I can't wait to see what Set Up has planned for that weekend. Anybody else get that e-mail from a couple of weeks ago? The e-mail said that they would be announcing something on that weekend soon. Personally I hope they're going to be doing a triathlon right down the street in Carolina Beach. Nothing on their website yet though.

The NCTS, SCTS and Trysports series all have races on June 15.  Kure Beach was a race in the NCTS and they will be doing the Tri Latta Triathlon outside Charlotte on that day.

2013-06-12 9:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Looks like folks like me boycotting this race succeeded. I hope that means Setup will get it again next year :-)

http://www.stepupforsoldiers.org/Images/stepup/pdfs/TWOTruth_in_Tri...

For the record, in case anyone from the town of Kure beach is reading this, I discovered Kure beach because of this race, and vacationed there many times since, both easter and summer, not race dates. This year, I am going to Surf City instead for summer vacation.

Edited by keyone 2013-06-12 9:25 PM

2013-06-13 2:34 PM
in reply to: keyone

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Anyone have information on the Channel swim mentioned in the link?
2013-06-13 4:54 PM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Alan

Looks like it is full. The page says to keep checking for people who pull out.

http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_detail&eventI...
2013-06-14 8:37 AM
in reply to: qrkid

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Thanks, Daryn!!

I had heard about this a while back but then heard nothing again. I followed your link to see the details, but I can't find it on Set Up Events if I don't follow your link. Weird.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kure Beach Double Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed