General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Classic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Classic Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miami, Florida
United States
Michael Epstein Sports Productions
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 59s
Overall Rank = 173/1268
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/61
Event warmup:

Nothing, I was about 45-60 seconds late to my wave start, so I had to start as soon as I got there.
Swim
  • 18m 25s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was cold and choppy. Lot of participants did not finish the swim. I kept calm and swimming despite the big waves.
What would you do differently?:

I started about 45-60 seconds late, so I was worried during the swim about this fact, rather than focusing on swimming. Definitively, next time I have to be ready for my wave to start. Hovwever, if anything goes bad, I have to be able to let it go and keep racing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

This was my first race wearing a wetsuit and I didn't practice much how to remove it. It took me a little but to get rid of it.

I think I was fast overall, although my bike was far from the bike out, which I am sure cost me a few extra seconds having to run with my bike through the transition area.

This was also the first time I fly mount my bike. The experience was very positive. A lot better than running with my bike shoes on through the transistion area.

Practive wetsuit removal.

Eat my gel once I am in the bike, rather than in the transition area.

Bike
  • 56m 57s
  • 19 miles
  • 20.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I saved energy on the bike. When I finished, I didn't feel very tired from this leg, I was scared of not being able to run after it. I think this strategy helped me to post on of my best runs in a triathlon so far.

My nutrition was good. I didn't feel like I needed to drink/eat more or less.

Next time I will try to push a little harder on the bike, to see if I can post a better time and I am still able to have a good run.

I need to practice going uphill. The course was mostly flat, but I found myself suffering and getting behind in the few hills (bridges) that were present.

Although I kept my aero position for most of the ride, I need to practice it more (I think I my need a new fitting, since my arms are not in a 90 degree position). Also, it will help not going through all the bumps and holes in the rode, I need to learn how to avoid them.
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I had some issues trying to remove my bike gloves.

This was my first time doing a fly dismount. One of my shoes got stuck in the ground when dismounting the bike, which almost made me fall. Hopefully I was able to keep balance. Need to practice this part a little more.

I should try to run without socks and buy tri-laces to save some seconds.
Run
  • 31m 49s
  • 4 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I posted a PR on a tri run. I started training the run seriously only a few weeks ago and it is already paying off together with a race strategy of taking it easy on the bike. I expect to keep improving here.

I didn't drink nor eat during the run, I only our water from the aid stations over my head. It seemed to work well since it was a short run and my nutrition was good during the bike.

I finished strong, I didn't feel exhausted at the end. However, I felt a lack of speed/power at the end when I wanted to sprint to pass a guy who was 3 seconds ahead of me. This probably has to do with not having done any speed work yet.

Not much, maybe push it a little more since I finished well. I am still finding my limits.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Hug my wife and eat some carbs and protein as well as some fruits.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed, not endurance, during my run. I need to incorporate speed drills on my training.

Event comments:

Awesome race. Very well organized,

Personally, I felt very strong during it and I was ranked in the top 23% for the first time (I always ranked in the 75th percentil, middle to back of the pack). I attribute this result to a better training plan, experienced gained in previous races, and a better nutrition plan.

Last updated: 2013-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:25 | 880 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/61
Overall: 354/1268
Performance: Below average
Suit: XTerra Vortex Sleeve
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:56:57 | 19 miles | 20.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/61
Overall: 208/1268
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat, except for 4 bridges. Not excessive wind against, except in a few places.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:31:49 | 04 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/61
Overall: 156/1268
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat along the beach
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-04-28 11:15 PM

User image

Miami
Subject: Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Classic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica South Beach Triathlon - Classic Distance Rss Feed