General Discussion Race Reports! » Rocky Point Triathlon at Las Palomas - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rocky Point Triathlon at Las Palomas - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Puerto Penasco, Sonora
Mexico
Human Movement Management
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 39s
Overall Rank = 23/120
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

They announced the day before that start time had been moved to 10:20am due to the tide! Kind of weird to start a tri so late. Eyes still popped open early so had a lot of time to kill since we stayed at the resort the race was at. Had a big bowl of oatmeal with almond butter and half a banana, coconut water. Got the gear walked down to transition around 8, got set up and hung out. Went back up to the room and hung out (came down with two couples). Sipped some G2 ate other half of banana.
Event warmup:

Charged my Garmin and turned off right before we left. Pulled my Garmin out of my bag.....dead battery. I still have no idea what happened and of course I didn't bring my charger. I was pissed but got over it quickly. Hung out on the beach with everybody waiting for the tide to come in. Race probably started closer to 10:30-10:40.
Swim
  • 19m 58s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is difficult to judge time because the tide we don't know how accurate the distance was. Plus this included a couple minutes running out to the water, walking through a rock reef, swimming the course and then a minute or so run up to transition. Felt great. By far my best swim results to date. I've always been a bottom of the pack swimmer. Water was clear and perfect temp. Kept a nice aggressive pace and stayed on course. Hard work with a coach the last 8 months is paying off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Getting better at jumping on the bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 07m 19s
  • 26 miles
  • 23.17 mile/hr
Comments:

My first race with race wheels and aero helmet. The hard work on the bike is paying off as well. Race course was a blast. Mostly flat with one small hill and only a couple turns. Pushed pretty hard and felt great.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Pretty routine

Nothing
Run
  • 54m 5s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Terrible run! 9-10 minutes slower than my norm. I felt great off the bike and took off. This is where not having my garmin hurt me. Went out too hard. Then on the first steep down hill I hurt my right foot. Then about my 2 my quads started cramping up. I felt fine on hydration/nutrition so I think it was the hills. It was just a bad run.

Train on hills! I haven't been doing any hill training. I knew the course so its my own damn fault.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out on the resort lawn. Chips, salsa, beans, orange soda!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training, dead garmin. I forgot salt sticks on the run and that might have helped with cramping.

Event comments:

I love this race! The trip is so much fun. We make a long weekend out of it. The race is great. Great atmosphere and after party. My third time racing here and I plan on being back every year.
I'm still not sure where I officially placed. There were people that cut off the bike and run course early and they were having a hard time getting it all figured out. I'm some where between 20-26 over all. They still don't have the age group results online because they are trying to figure it out. At the age group awards they announced times of each place as they walked up. 2nd and 3rd in my division with slower times than me and 1st place faster then me. I walked up to the race director afterwards and he said they had a lot of mistakes. He looked at the results, told me I was 2nd in the age group and gave me an award. Pretty funny. Its all good in Mexico! I was just happy to have such a good swim and bike.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:58 | 1094 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 34/120
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: 1 lap triangular
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:07:19 | 26 miles | 23.17 mile/hr
Overall: 7/120
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops out and back with a couple turns.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:05 | 06.2 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 46/120
Performance: Bad
Course: Very hilly golf course path with a couple really steep hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-04-29 11:35 AM

User image

Mesa, AZ
Subject: Rocky Point Triathlon at Las Palomas - Olympic Course

2013-04-29 1:30 PM
in reply to: #4719076

User image

Subject: RE: Rocky Point Triathlon at Las Palomas - Olympic Course

was a great race..  horrible timing results with no other timing mats.  made it very easy for people to cut the course.  we had a couple issues with out group also.. but the race director said.. "you know whats funny? i dont really care this is just for fun".  I agree it is a  fun race.. and mostly a big party but i can  go do all that for free and not expect a correct time.  

But besides that it was a great time!

2013-04-29 5:07 PM
in reply to: #4719076

User image

Extreme Veteran
That's a searing bike split! I'm glad you had a good time down there. I'll have to try it one of these years.
2013-04-29 11:51 PM
in reply to: #4719348

User image

Mesa, AZ
Tryrn - 2013-04-29 11:30 AM

was a great race..  horrible timing results with no other timing mats.  made it very easy for people to cut the course.  we had a couple issues with out group also.. but the race director said.. "you know whats funny? i dont really care this is just for fun".  I agree it is a  fun race.. and mostly a big party but i can  go do all that for free and not expect a correct time.  

But besides that it was a great time!

Yeah, it was funny.  He was really apologetic but I told him I could care less about getting announced and going up there.  It's such a fun race and weekend.  We love Rocky Point and especially that resort.  We actually just got back a couple hours ago.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rocky Point Triathlon at Las Palomas - Olympic Course Rss Feed