General Discussion Race Reports! » North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morrisville, North Carolina
United States
Set-Up, Inc.
warmF / 0C
Total Time = 1h 17m 31s
Overall Rank = 137/552
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/35
Pre-race routine:

I decide to get a hotel room so I can sleep more than just driving down in the morning, but I sleep very little anyway. So, I end up getting to the race site, like at 6:00! Hey, this way I have more time to worry about my T area!
Event warmup:

reverse order warmup with a good 2 mile run over the course. ran into jkbostic, bonbonneaser, and family making their way into the race area. talked with fitphd, met chippy and ironman stake, then rode the bike just a little to make sure the gears and brakes still worked. and finally, after what seemed like 5 trips to the port-o-johns, I splashed around in the muddy lake for a good 10 minutes.
Swim
  • 11m 42s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

started on the inside this year so I had a straight sight to the first bouy. only lost my straight line once when I plowed into some other old farts! (sorry) rounded the bouy doing breastroke, then pretty much did my easy type stroke towards the shore. ran into lots of folks from the previous wave. this slowed me down some at the end.
What would you do differently?:

not touch the muddy water!
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

damn socks! I really need to do these sprints without socks! I just can't seem to get them on fast enough... pretty smooth other than that!

practice bare foot.
Bike
  • 41m 6s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to finish strong this year, so I took the bike just a little slower than I could have. 5 guys in my AG passed me during the ride. my instinct said to go follow them, but my wisdom said keep my scheduled pace. I did have some problems clipping in again. every single race this year this has been a problem. would someone smack me and tell me to practice this? the dismount was smooth, as was the long run to the rack. bike comp listed 13.81 as the distance.

need some more hill work and strength training in the legs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

hmmmn, don't know why this was this slow... it should have been 1 minute flat... ok, kick me again so I practice this part of the sport!! this is EZ time to shave off the total time.

duhhh, practice transitions!
Run
  • 22m 1s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

felt good running off the bike. passed 1 in my AG, but he eventually passed me for good. PF was not bad, maybe 90% full power. I just put my head down and kept my cadence high. I did come around the last corner and gave it the old kick-at-the-end-so-everyone-can-see-it thing. A very good run for me!

got to get the run down in the 20-21 range.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a diet coke and immediately ran into jkbostic, neaser, and stake. chatted for awhile, grabbed another diet coke. fitphd joined us. waited for chippy to finish, chatted some more. met triinNC?, cubegopher?, and chrishughes. all great people! finally it was time to gather my gear and head back home to supervise my son's world cup soccer party!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I simply don't do good in the heat! My conditioning has fallen off since the springtime. I believe I could have gone 3 minutes faster if this was a spring race.

Event comments:

this race is fun to do because there are so many racers. I love it because each year I have met some wonderful people.

next year I will eat cobbler!

Last updated: 2006-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:42 | 820 yards | 01m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/35
Overall: 92/552
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: triangle, of course
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:06 | 15 miles | 21.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/35
Overall: 172/552
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: up some long hills, down some long hills.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:01 | 03.11 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/35
Overall: 195/552
Performance: Good
Course: 3 sections, first out-and-back, then 2 loops.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-11 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Subject: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon

2006-07-11 1:57 PM
in reply to: #479064

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon
My bike computer listed that same distance. I was hoping it was wrong, but alas I guess not.....
2006-07-11 2:37 PM
in reply to: #479064

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon

Fantastic race Mark!  You kicked !  You're overall and AG rank are spectacular!  We certainly missed you at the post race cobbler fest though I bet you did some serious celebrating in your own right at the World Cup party!

Way to go bro! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Carolina Triathlon Series Race #9 - Triangle Triathlon Rss Feed