Elite Energy
23.1C / 74F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 42s
Overall Rank = 138/242
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/38
Pre-race routine:

We stayed in a motel the night before which was only a 10min drive from the event. Woke early and got to the event just after the opening of transition. Picked up race pack, attached stickers and racked bike. Bike raking was in number order, which I liked as it is harder to lose it at transition.
I have begun to put a handtowel on the handlebars of my bike, to help me find it quicker.
Event warmup:

Walked around to where the course began, just overall orientation to the course. I had done the same event hosted by a different group in Nov, so had a bit of an idea of what the course was like.
Was not so keen getting in the water as I never had my wetsuit. I did end up getting in about 5mins before my wave and this really helped adjusting to the temp and warming myself up.
Swim
  • 13m 16s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was pretty good. I tried to draft off someone, but she was too fast for me to keep on her toes. Wanted to use her to help me with navigation as well (I am assuming fast swimmers are also good at navigating here).
Settled into a good rhythm with breathing. After I lost sight of that person, I drifted a bit to the Right and had to correct a bit.
What would you do differently?:

I should have started further on the left, which is the furthest from the shore. This was my original intention, I just didn't go with it. This would have also provided me with lane bouys that are used in rowing to guide me.

Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

I am hopelessly slow in transition, which is why i didnt wear the Wetsuit.
Did pretty good this time, although I am unable to get into already clipped in shoes yet.

Learn how to get into bike shoes that are already clipped in.
Bike
  • 41m
  • 20 kms
  • 29.27 km/hr
Comments:

I had wanted to get to a 33km/hr speed for the course, and did get over 35km/hr during the first half of the loop. Was a little shocked at the slight incline on the way back as I had thought the whole course was flattish. Reviewed my plan down to 30km/hr and was a little bit under that mark, overall pretty pleased as I was able to maintain a good cadence. Just need to increase fitness on the bike.
My husband used his phone as a stopwatch and kept giving me updates, which was great. I knew how I was travelling through using the bike cadency thing and my watch, but so nice to have him and the kids supporting me.

Need to do more bike training and increase fitness on the bike.I think I undertook the race well, taking into account my limits and history.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Well it was good my my standards. I do have to sit down to put my socks on. I know that others would not wear socks, but last time I ran without them I developed horrendous blisters.
So to save 1-2mins at the end of the race, I put them on.
As I was going into transition, my husband and kids were there cheering me on, which was really great. As I left transition, I heard him say to do your parkrun time (approx 30mins) and you will get a PB(1.5hrs)

Well really need to learn how to get off the bike and leave the shoes on it and ride with feet on the shoes for a little while. I have to stop and then get off the bike, which is a bit of a time waster.
Run
  • 30m 17s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 04s  min/km
Comments:

Running is my least favourite leg. I struggle with it, but was pretty pleased that the time I did is only slightly slow then my 5km PB(28:42). I average around the 30min mark so to do that on the back of a swim and bike is pleasing. At the end I had wanted to sprint, but really had nothing more left in me. In the end I maintained the same speed for the finishing chute.

Nothing really, in hindsight it is good to say push myself more, but there is a risk that then I would burn out and not be able to run the entire distance.
Try and make more effort for the last 50metres
Post race
Warm down:

Fruit salad and icecream, yummy. Watermelon, oranges.
Chatted to another girl who was in my wave, and coincidently comes from the same city as me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just not fit/ strong enough.
This was amassive PB for me with over 6min improvement since my first ever triathlon in November at the same event, so I could hardly be disappointed.

Event comments:

Well run event, which was a great supportive environment for women of all levels. There was even a before race swim coaching session, for those novice swimmers.

Last updated: 2013-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:16 | 750 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/38
Overall: 79/242
Performance: Good
HR did not really work in the water, which is a bit disappointing.
Suit: Trisuit
Course: A swim in where the Rowing is usually conducted at the regatta centre. It was pretty much a straight line, if you swim straight. It was freshwater and the visibility was ok. There was some weed in the water toward the end of the swim but other wise uneventful.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:41:00 | 20 kms | 29.27 km/hr
Age Group: 21/38
Overall: 127/242
HR was on about 165 all the way. I pretty much did each lap in 10mins.
Wind: Headwind
Course: The course was an oval around the regatta centre water. There was a bridge that went over the water at the beginning of each 5km loops and then it was pretty much slight downhill down the first side. On the way back, there was a slight incline and little bit of headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21.4
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:30:17 | 05 kms | 06m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 24/38
Overall: 175/242
It was a two lap 5km and the first 1-1.5km I really had a good pace, my main plan was to do the 5km with no walking so I slowed down to help with improving my ability to do this.
Course: A flat 2.5km loop next to the water.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes