General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are you allowed to wear swim socks/booties and gloves w/ cold water? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-01 7:36 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: Are you allowed to wear swim socks/booties and gloves w/ cold water?

I'm signed up for American TTT and think the water is going to be like ice. I've questionned them if we are allowed to wear swim socks, but they never answered me. I didn't see anything pertaining to this on USAT site. I also think I want to wear the gloves. Do you know if the socks are allowed? Have you used the gloves before? Are these allowed? I have Reynauds in my hands and am not sure how the swimming is going to go.

Anyone have any recommendations for which ones to buy.

2013-05-01 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4722010

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Subject: RE: Are you allowed to wear swim socks/booties and gloves w/ cold water?
Generally below 65 degrees booties are allowed, gloves are never allowed.
2013-05-01 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Are you allowed to wear swim socks/booties and gloves w/ cold water?

Socks/booties should not be a problem.  I've used both Blue Seventy and Orca and prefer the Orca's.  I would go with as small a pair as I can get on my feet because they will fill with water and you don't want to be kicking with your feet in the middle of water balloons.

The gloves normally are never allowed but I have seen races make exception in you have a medical condition.  I use Blue Seventy gloves for training but they have webbing between the fingers and I think it would be best not to use something like that in a race.  A non-webbed glove would probably be better received by race folks. 

2013-05-01 4:45 PM

Since you thought about gloves & booties, I assume you will have a warm cap on too?

That swim sounds chilly!!

And definitely keep trying to contact the RD to see if you can wear gloves (maybe with a Doc's note?)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Are you allowed to wear swim socks/booties and gloves w/ cold water? Rss Feed