BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2013-08-05 1:06 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group

Originally posted by stevesflyshop My Boulder 70.3 race report is complete. It can be found here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... I learned a lot from this race, specifically where my training was lacking at. The heat just killed me but overall I thought the course was good. I had some minor problems on the bike but was able to fix that on the fly. I just ran out of gas on the run. I saw my Garmin total time and tried to push it to break 7 hours but just couldn't get it done. I didn't feel that I was pushing too hard on the bike either. My average heart rate was where it should have been and I never felt like I was cooking my legs. I also didn't drink enough water on the run which had an effect. Anyway, I felt good when I completed it and now have a time to beat for the next one!
Great job!  Way to tough it out through the conditions, and kudos on keeping a positive attitude.

On the run where you say you did not take in enough water, was that due to anything in particular?  What I mean by that is, was your stomach feeling touchy, had you taken too much in on the bike such that your stomach was sloshing or anything like that?  Or just at the time didn't feel like you needed it?

2013-08-05 1:13 PM
in reply to: Fresno_Joe

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

I'm getting excited for my race next Sunday.  Spent the weekend up near where the race will take place, and the weather was beautiful.  Supposed to be more of the same next weekend.  High of 91 but by 1 o'clock it should only have reached low 80's.  And allegedly the run has a lot of shade anyways.  I don't remember if I posted about it but I rode the bike route a few weeks ago, and it's a nice route.  Not a good training route, there are several long stretches with no shoulder, but this company is generally really good with traffic control and the like, so I'm not worried about that.  After I finished it, even though it took longer than my normal 40 mile training route, (2:20ish vs. 3:06), I felt less winded; the hills on the race are less stressful than I anticipated.  My training route has about 1650ft of climb, the race route has about 1200, but it feels like less than that.  And almost all climbing happens during the first 24 miles.  I rode the route with a buddy, and we were chatting and not aero most of the time and still finished in 3:06, and felt good afterwards, so though I won't be pushing myself to reach any specific time I'm back to hoping for sub-3.

2013-08-05 3:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Originally posted by stevesflyshop My Boulder 70.3 race report is complete. It can be found here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... I learned a lot from this race, specifically where my training was lacking at. The heat just killed me but overall I thought the course was good. I had some minor problems on the bike but was able to fix that on the fly. I just ran out of gas on the run. I saw my Garmin total time and tried to push it to break 7 hours but just couldn't get it done. I didn't feel that I was pushing too hard on the bike either. My average heart rate was where it should have been and I never felt like I was cooking my legs. I also didn't drink enough water on the run which had an effect. Anyway, I felt good when I completed it and now have a time to beat for the next one!
Great job!  Way to tough it out through the conditions, and kudos on keeping a positive attitude.

On the run where you say you did not take in enough water, was that due to anything in particular?  What I mean by that is, was your stomach feeling touchy, had you taken too much in on the bike such that your stomach was sloshing or anything like that?  Or just at the time didn't feel like you needed it?

I basically didn't think I needed it when I started the run. I took a pretty good drink from my last water bottle on my bike after I racked it. I was sweating at the start of the run, and felt like I was hydrated pretty well. I didn't have any stomach/sloshing problems. The heat started bearing down on me after the first mile, and I started taking 1 cup of water at the aid stations. In looking back at it, they were less than half full so probably 3 ounces. I should have taken more earlier. At the end of the first loop I wasn't sweating and had goosebumps, which for me is an indication I'm getting dehydrated. I started taking 2 and 3 cups of water to try and catch up but it turned into a sufferfest.

Nutrition wise I felt good on the bike. I had a Cliff Bar (240 calories) around the 10 mile mark after I resolved my derailleur issue and 2 gels over the rest of the bike. On the first loop of the run I consumed 1 Gu gel at mile 4. On the second loop I took a couple of handfuls of pretzels, 2 bonk breaker bar piecess, 2 chocolate chip cookies, a flat cola for 4 straight aid stations and probably some other food I can't think of now. I was willing to try anything to get some life back in my legs. I just didn't have it.

2013-08-06 12:27 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Hey all, I've been sorta buried with work lately.  I did the Lake Stevens 70.3 back in July with a 5:35... so I'm making some progress back to healthy.  It was a crappy day on the bike but my run was 8 mins off my open time which I'm happy with.

I wish I could've seen the pro finish.  Craig Alexander and Luke Bell ran it down to the wire (3:55:23 and 3:55:59).  I'm most impressed with their biking on that course.  It's one of the few where you have to be a skilled descender.

Edited by spudone 2013-08-06 12:31 AM
2013-08-07 4:28 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

How's everyone doing?

I've got my one and only cycling road race coming up this weekend.  I know it's not exactly the smartest thing to do when crashing is a possibility, but it seems as though my division will have it's own starting time...so likely only about 12-15 of us at most, and I'm planning to put the pressure on to make sure it's not a bunch finish...or blow up trying.  The course is very safe, and basically closed off to all vehicle traffic, so it should be fun.  I'm won the division last year, so while it isn't exactly ideal leading into Kona...I have to defend my title...

2013-08-07 5:10 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by Jason N

How's everyone doing?

I've got my one and only cycling road race coming up this weekend.  I know it's not exactly the smartest thing to do when crashing is a possibility, but it seems as though my division will have it's own starting time...so likely only about 12-15 of us at most, and I'm planning to put the pressure on to make sure it's not a bunch finish...or blow up trying.  The course is very safe, and basically closed off to all vehicle traffic, so it should be fun.  I'm won the division last year, so while it isn't exactly ideal leading into Kona...I have to defend my title...

Good luck at the race!  I'm doing great, ready for my first 70.3 this weekend.  Focus the last few days has been just making sure all the little things are in order.  Couldn't find my tri-glide a few days ago so bought some more of that, finally put some tape on my aerobars, switched out my training tires for conti gp4000s w/latex tubes and gave the bike a minor tune-up before what will probably have been my last ride, etc.  Bought a new smaller gel flask that will fit in the pocket in the back of my jersey for the ride.

2013-08-07 5:53 PM

User image

Best of luck to you too.  Just stay calm, have fun, and let the race come to you. 
2013-08-07 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Out of curiosity, what do you put in the gel flask?  (seriously)

Do you empty a bunch of GU packets into it or something?  I've been using fig newtons, GU, stinger waffles and anything I can pick off the side of the road for food on my rides (figure, if I can ride with anything, then nothing will bug me on race day - except HEED, that is… That stuff does NOT agree with me).

Always wondered how people used "gel flasks."  Would be great to get your approach.

Good luck with the race!!  Remember, RR or it didn't happen.  Wink

Jason, keep the rubber down and RACE!

Matt

2013-08-07 9:07 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Matt, when I use gel flasks I buy the Hammer gels in the bottles.  The gel is a bit thinner and designed to flow out of the flasks, not to mention it is a lot easier to fill the flask with a bottle rather than a bunch of little foil packets!  I usually still add a little water to thin it down even more to a consistency I prefer.
2013-08-07 10:11 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
I use Honey Stinger gels, they're pretty thin to begin with.  My flask has markings on it to indicate equal fifths of the flask.  So for this race for instance I'm thinking I'll put ten gels in there, then fill with water, and then I can estimate tenths.  Basically it's just an easier way to take in the gels, not have to deal with the wrappers, etc.  I'm going to keep it in the back pocket of my jersey.  That will allow me take in 6 swigs/gels on the bike, and then I can either keep that with me or ditch it for the run if I decide I can handle the gels the course is offering.
2013-08-08 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland

Hey Guys, I have been out for a bit. 

Need some help getting back in the game.  Previous to this weekend, I last raced a sprint early July.  Since then, almost zero pool time and bike time.  I have been running though but not nearly enough volume as I wanted.

I was planning on Beach2Batttleship half at the beginning of the year, then life got in the way (my tri-bike had to be retired/buddy who I compete with got injured-prob the main underlying reason, lost motivation to get up early, etc...

I was originally going to bail on the half thinking of every possible reason not too (spent too much money on vaca, etc) I am fully committed to racing B2B now!

I raced a small sprint this past weekend and it is obvious I lost almost all the bike fitness I had gained this winter/early spring.

My long runs have been in the 8-9miles range but far and few between.

Surprisingly, I have not lost as much swim fitness as I thought, prob better technique, and one ows clinic.

What should my game plan be for the next 11 weeks.  I will probably only be able to do 2 maintenance swims/week.  What should my bike/run schedule look like now. 

How long does it usually take to gain back some bike fitness? 

Thanks for your help.

Edited by bgeyeguy 2013-08-08 8:58 AM

2013-08-08 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Thanks both for the gel info/advice.  I hadn't thought about that approach (still discovering ways to prove that after a year, I'm still a noob), but really like the idea of a flask for the gels.

Just last weekend on my course pre-ride, I lost a couple gel packs without even realizing it as I pulled another one out of my jersey pocket.  So, I'm going to grab a flask (if I can find one around here) and give it a shot this weekend - might use it for my HIM next weekend.

Much obliged!

Matt

2013-08-08 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Thanks both for the gel info/advice.  I hadn't thought about that approach (still discovering ways to prove that after a year, I'm still a noob), but really like the idea of a flask for the gels.

Just last weekend on my course pre-ride, I lost a couple gel packs without even realizing it as I pulled another one out of my jersey pocket.  So, I'm going to grab a flask (if I can find one around here) and give it a shot this weekend - might use it for my HIM next weekend.

Much obliged!

Matt

FWIW I got mine for 2 bucks at one of the better LBSs here.  I went to REI first and didn't find one but the LBS had a box of them in their gel/nutrition section.  Or I'm sure you could get one on Amazon by next weekend, I didn't look because I had to go to my LBS for something else anyways.

Edit: they're probably more common in running stores, but then they might not be the small enough kind that can fit in your bike jersey.  Worth a look though if your LBS doesn't have them.

Edited by Fresno_Joe 2013-08-08 1:15 PM
2013-08-08 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

Much obliged!

Matt

I use a bento box on the top tube of my bike. I can pack about 3 gels and a cliff bar in there as well as a small multi-tool for emergency repairs and car keys. I had the profile design one that had a mesh top and velcro that would also hold my cell phone but my wife snagged it for her road bike. I now have an X-Lab one that zips closed. Its worked really well for me. I don't like having the stuff in my pockets because I'm clumsy and reaching into my back pocket on the ride seems more crash likely than unzipping the box. Just my $.02

Good luck on the HIM!

Steve
2013-08-08 3:18 PM
in reply to: stevesflyshop

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Originally posted by stevesflyshop

Much obliged!

Matt

I use a bento box on the top tube of my bike. I can pack about 3 gels and a cliff bar in there as well as a small multi-tool for emergency repairs and car keys. I had the profile design one that had a mesh top and velcro that would also hold my cell phone but my wife snagged it for her road bike. I now have an X-Lab one that zips closed. Its worked really well for me. I don't like having the stuff in my pockets because I'm clumsy and reaching into my back pocket on the ride seems more crash likely than unzipping the box. Just my $.02 Good luck on the HIM! Steve

I also have a bento box (DarkSpeedWorks) on my bike.  My pockets are for my trash because, although I'd feel bad about it, it's not a huge detriment to me if I lose a wrapper, but could put me in a bad place if I lost my nutrition. 

During my HIM, I had two gels and three Honey Stinger Waffles (cut into quarters and put into a ziploc bag) in there.  Tight fit, but it made it -- and no, I didn't eat all of that in the race, but had it in case the waffles or gels just weren't doing it for me. 

2013-08-09 8:56 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Just ordered a small and a large (figuring the small one for a long race and large one for training) bento box (XLab) and a gel flask.  As I think about it and read the above, I wonder if I need the flask with a bento box - all minor tweaks (iow, fun stuff to mess about with but not likely to affect a race, as long as I get the nutrition I need easily).

I think these will be good additions to how I bring nutrition along, as the easier it is during a race, the less chance I screw it up. 

I generally like a cleaner setup on the bike, but with a Z4/A2 on the way (should get here today - can't wait to try that bad boy!) and a bento box, plus a downtube bottle and two hanging off the back of my seat (also XLab) with a can of Pittstop, a crack pipe adapter, a CO2 adapter and a CO2 canister taped between the bottles/on the bracket, my bike is now almost an RV!!!

If I like the Z4/A2 between the bars, I might get rid of the downtube bottle, keep the ones in back (I want 3 with me for an HIM, I think) and decide on the bento box vs. tri suit pockets after trying it on a couple rides next week.  Thoughts?

You know what they say, "Always something new on race day," right? 

Wait.... what? 

Matt

2013-08-09 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Just ordered a small and a large (figuring the small one for a long race and large one for training) bento box (XLab) and a gel flask.  As I think about it and read the above, I wonder if I need the flask with a bento box - all minor tweaks (iow, fun stuff to mess about with but not likely to affect a race, as long as I get the nutrition I need easily).

I think these will be good additions to how I bring nutrition along, as the easier it is during a race, the less chance I screw it up. 

I generally like a cleaner setup on the bike, but with a Z4/A2 on the way (should get here today - can't wait to try that bad boy!) and a bento box, plus a downtube bottle and two hanging off the back of my seat (also XLab) with a can of Pittstop, a crack pipe adapter, a CO2 adapter and a CO2 canister taped between the bottles/on the bracket, my bike is now almost an RV!!!

If I like the Z4/A2 between the bars, I might get rid of the downtube bottle, keep the ones in back (I want 3 with me for an HIM, I think) and decide on the bento box vs. tri suit pockets after trying it on a couple rides next week.  Thoughts?

Wait.... what? 

Matt

Okay, so a bento box should be simple....and if you're pairing it with a flask, it might be easier.  But let me tell you, my first ride with my bento box was full of DRAMA!!!  An excerpt from my log:

"We got new bento boxes (DSW 483's). I decided I was going to bring three Honey Stinger Waffles and three Gu's with me for the ride. I quickly realized that this amount of food was not going to fit nicely into the bento box. I quartered the waffles and put them into a ziploc bag; I pre-tore the Gu's because I didn't trust that I'd be all that dextrous while riding with sweaty hands and not having them taped on the top tube. I managed to get everything into the bento box, but had to remove the plastic insert, which made it kind of lose its shape. I also couldn't decide which way I wanted to put it on the bike, so I made the (stupid) call to not use the velcro on the top tube, which ended up making the dumb bento box want to rotate and fall over throughout the ride. I also should have cut down the velcro straps as they were way too long and ended up scraping my leg a bunch throughout the ride as the box flopped over.

The first time I decided I needed to eat from it, I unzipped it and quickly realized that full-sized ziploc bags are not ideal.  There was so much extra and I kept catching it in the zipper....also, fishing through and trying to get to the waffles was a pain with the big bag.  When I decided to grab a Gu instead, I (of course) smooshed a bunch of it out of the pre-torn packet and into the bento box (with no liner).  Geez, so much drama for an item that's supposed to make fueling simpler!"

Anyways, all that to say -- either learn from my stupid mistakes or take it out for a ride before your race!  Snack sized ziploc bags work perfectly.  Pre-tearing the Gu's also works well, as long as you don't tear it far enough to allow Gu to ooze out.

2013-08-09 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

The gel flask I use on the bike is just barely big enough to fit into my bento box, so I find it easier to get the flask into and out of my jersey pocket than my bento box.

2013-08-09 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

Wait.... what? 

Matt

I'm not skilled enough to give anyone advice on what they should or should not have on their bike but this is what I learned from last week's HIM. I had 2 bottles behind the seat (X-Lab) with a mini seat bag sandwiched between the 2 with a tube, 2 tire levers, co2 head and 2 canisters. Thank goodness I didn't flat and have to use them. It's a real tight fit but small and out of the way. The bottles I had were 20 ounce, and I had the profile design aero bottle between the aero bars. It too was 20 ounces. That amount of water worked well for me. I drank from the aero bottle with the straw, and when it got empty I refilled it with my bottle behind the seat. I found this makes for a lot less movement since I'm only reaching for the bottle once to fill the arm bottle and then putting the empty back, instead of reaching for it every time I want to take a drink. I passed the first aid station without grabbing a bottle and the second station I grabbed a bottle, dumped it into the aero bottle and tossed the empty. I did this at the rest of the aid stations and it worked well. The second bottle behind the seat was there for emergencies like if I missed a bottle at an aid station. This set up worked well for me.

I have not had good luck with reaching for the downtube bottle on my tri bike because its not natural for me. I can do it on my road bike all day but with my arms in the aero position, it just makes me feel real wobbly. I'm much more comfortable reaching behind my seat for my bottle so that's what I stick with.

The bento box is something I've started with so I'm used to it. I can also eat like I'm at a buffet in the aero position. I have peeled bananas, opened cliff bars, gu gels, etc. but that's also because that's what I started with and don't know anything else. I'm probably more comfortable eating in the aero bars than I am on my road bike because I've had a lot more miles put on my tri bike since that was the one I started with.

Good luck on whatever you decide. I too sometimes feel like I'm peddaling an RV down the road with all the gear I added to the tri bike but I also like to know that if I have a problem, I can at least look like I know what I'm doing when all the people are passing me as I'm waiting for bike support.

Steve
2013-08-09 12:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Wait.... what? 

Matt

Okay, so a bento box should be simple....and if you're pairing it with a flask, it might be easier.  But let me tell you, my first ride with my bento box was full of DRAMA!!!  An excerpt from my log:

"We got new bento boxes (DSW 483's). I decided I was going to bring three Honey Stinger Waffles and three Gu's with me for the ride. I quickly realized that this amount of food was not going to fit nicely into the bento box. I quartered the waffles and put them into a ziploc bag; I pre-tore the Gu's because I didn't trust that I'd be all that dextrous while riding with sweaty hands and not having them taped on the top tube. I managed to get everything into the bento box, but had to remove the plastic insert, which made it kind of lose its shape. I also couldn't decide which way I wanted to put it on the bike, so I made the (stupid) call to not use the velcro on the top tube, which ended up making the dumb bento box want to rotate and fall over throughout the ride. I also should have cut down the velcro straps as they were way too long and ended up scraping my leg a bunch throughout the ride as the box flopped over.

The first time I decided I needed to eat from it, I unzipped it and quickly realized that full-sized ziploc bags are not ideal.  There was so much extra and I kept catching it in the zipper....also, fishing through and trying to get to the waffles was a pain with the big bag.  When I decided to grab a Gu instead, I (of course) smooshed a bunch of it out of the pre-torn packet and into the bento box (with no liner).  Geez, so much drama for an item that's supposed to make fueling simpler!"

Anyways, all that to say -- either learn from my stupid mistakes or take it out for a ride before your race!  Snack sized ziploc bags work perfectly.  Pre-tearing the Gu's also works well, as long as you don't tear it far enough to allow Gu to ooze out.

WOW - hopefully I can avoid most (all?) of those problems!  Thanks for the heads up, as I could imagine doing a couple of those things first time out...

I've had the same problem with ziplocs in my jersey pockets - have had to ride no hands just to get the dang thing open the first time. 

Matt

2013-08-09 4:29 PM

User image

I use the XLab aero bento box in size XL.  It's the biggest thing I could find and while it's a bit tall, unless you stem is slammed it shouldn't be exposed to the wind.  Or even if it does sit above your stem a bit, if you have a BTA bottle, it should be hidden behind that fairly well.

Those DSW aero packs look really cool but functionally I don't think it would hold what I want it to very well.  I can easily fit 2 whole cliff bars and a few gels in my bento box.

2013-08-12 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
2013-08-12 9:25 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Originally posted by Fresno_Joe

Posted my race report: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=497857&page=1&posts=1#M4827475

Race went well, sub-6 by ten seconds :D

Way to go, sounds like a race well executed.  What a bonus on the run having the family there halfway to give you a boost!  Good Job!
2013-08-15 7:56 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
My second HIM of the year is coming up this weekend, and I guess I"m as prepared as I can be. I'm feeling good about the swim, and the bike (although lots of climbs!), but the run will be a long time coming. My bum hammy is acting up, and its not happy even when I'm sitting down. THere's a good chance I'll be walking much if not all of the run. C'est la vie. May end up pushing 7 hours to finish, but I will finish barring some horrible problem.

This is my last race of the season, and I plan on stopping running for at least a month after this race. Will continue my swim & bike, but the 'ol run will start back up slowly in early October. I'm going to continue PT in the meantime, and see how it goes. Fingers crossed.
2013-08-19 9:50 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Hey all -- Finished Timberman yesterday, and like I predicted, the run was much of a walk fest. Good swim & bike, then a long walk. Ended up BOP, but crossed the line like everyone else. Cool ending of the day -- my finisher medal was given to me by Andy Potts! (who won the race yesterday)

Mike
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D and Jason's (Tri808) Half Ironman Mentor Group CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 51