BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 63

2013-05-02 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed

WHEN CAN YOU START: I can start right away.

GROUP FOCUS: I would like to focus on HIM or IM distance. (any past kenj group member always welcomed!)

NAME: kenj/ Ken Johnson 

STORY: I am 48 years old and live in upstate NY in the Finger Lakes region, near Rochester.  In early 2006 I decided I had enough of being overweight.  At the time I weighed about 285 at 5 feet 8 inches tall so I was in rough shape.  I played mens league hockey once a week and was struggling to keep up with guys that when I was younger and in better shape I had no problem staying with.  So I decided to do something about the weight and started Nutri-system.  Part of the program included 30 minutes of working out per day.  Did not matter if it was walking, weights, or whatever got me moving.  For the most part I walked on the treadmill.  By early spring I had lost about 50 pounds so when I was able to move outside I started running some.  By the end of the summer I was down almost 90 pounds, but was struggling with achilles issues running every day so I picked up a bike and started riding some.  Found BT and connected with some local members and started doing some 5ks and thought about tris.  The wildcard was the swim, but I joined the local masters group with the encouragement of Dexter and I learned to swim, sort of. 

I did my first tri in June of 2007, another in July and decided watching IMLP that year on the net to sign up for 2008.  Probably not the recommended way of getting to that distance, but I downloaded a plan from BT and finished with a respectable time.  Since then I have done several halfs, many more sprints and oly's and another Ironman in 2010. 

Currently the weight drops during the season and I let it creep up a little during the winter but I am safely past the 5 year mark and happy with the way I am maintaining my health and weight.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married to Connie, who is not only a great wife, but my biggest cheerleader!  She never questions any of the crazy ideas I come up with and is always there to support me!  I also have two adult children. Plus a chocolate lab Molly and Buster the crazy cat. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  Starting in January I begin training for the 2013 season.  I am using a training plan program with a local coach.  It is a little less structured than a one on one program but offers a lot more feed back than I am used to since I have always done the self coaching.  Training for my first HIM in Florida in mid - May and the training is going quite well.

Since I have been self coached using predominantly BT plans, I am fairly knowledgeable about most of them.

This time of year I also include a fairly consistent strength training regimen.  Mostly functional type training and plyometrics more so than typical weight lifting.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2012 was mostly a bust as far as triathlons go.  I had to have shoulder surgery in May but am now back swimming regularly with no issues.  I did complete 2 half marathons and several shorter running races though.

2013 RACES:  It will be a fairly heavy year of races with 2 HIM's starting in May in Florida and another local HIM in July.  Additionally I will be participating in 2 Iron distance races in 2013 starting with a new unbranded race locally in August and IM Florida in November.  Sprinkle in a handful of running races and shorter local tri's over the course of the year. 

WEIGHT LOSS:  Missing a lot of the training volume that I was used to allowed my weight to sneak up a little, but I started the year in about the same place I do most years.  I have managed to drop 20 pounds since the first of the year and am now at a point lower than I have been since my early high school days.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I think I will be a good mentor as this will be my 6th group.  I have been fortunate that all of my mentor groups have had some great participants that add to the conversation in a very positive way!  I have enjoyed that aspect the most!  I enjoy working with both experienced triathletes looking to go to a longer distance, or just looking for a group to offer them support.  I also have enjoyed seeing new athletes set goals and put a plan together to accomplish their first triathlon, regardless of their experience.  From weight loss to racing, I have done a lot right and a some things wrong and I think that experience is something I can share with others trying to figure this out.  Additionally, I love triathlon and enjoy not only the training, but the positive support that most people in this sport offer each other.  These mentor groups are a great way to continue this support away from the race venues and especially in the off season! 

I also know that a few folks from my past groups will probably join in and since they could probably run their own group if they chose to, their experience helps lift the entire group and they are all good at sharing their experiences.  I look at the mentor as not necessarily being the person with all the answers, but being responsible for keeping people focused and moving towards their goals. 

Although I travel occasionally, I am usually pretty quick to respond to posts which I think helps keep the group focused!

Edited by kenj 2013-05-14 8:12 AM

2013-05-02 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4723784

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - OPEN
Please save a spot for me. I will post bio later
2013-05-02 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4723818

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2013-05-02 10:33 AM Please save a spot for me. I will post bio later

Please do Eddie!

2013-05-02 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Ken,

I'm in for another round! I will post a bio later.

PS - I think I'm going to take my GPS for the race on Sunday but just keep it in my pocket. I'm going to try and not look at it.Wink

PPS - It will be good to get back back to tri training after my HM this weekend! First tri is an olympic.

Edited by acv 2013-05-02 11:05 AM
2013-05-02 11:09 AM
in reply to: #4724081

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
acv - 2013-05-02 12:03 PM

Ken,

I'm in for another round! I will post a bio later.

PS - I think I'm going to take my GPS for the race on Sunday but just keep it in my pocket. I'm going to try and not look at it.Wink

PPS - It will be good to get back back to tri training after my HM this weekend! First tri is an olympic.

Have a great race Adam!!  Looking forward to seeing how you do!

2013-05-02 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

I would like back in!!!

NAME: bdenehy/Bill Denehy 

STORY: I’m 38 and live in Cold Spring, NY (Hudson Valley).  I’ve done two seasons of triathlon and I am loving it.  The driving factor was my sorry state of fitness and health.  When I started, I was at my heaviest weight and was suffering terribly from a herniated disc and sciatica.  With 3 young kids to play with, I didn’t want to go through life acting like an old man at 36.    I started with dieting and strength training, then transitioned to S/B/R.  I had a background in recreational running from many moons ago but had never swam or biked, and have no history of team/organized sports.  I quickly found that biking is now my absolute favorite activity, but somewhere where I need a lot of improvement.

Training is great, but I LOVE racing.  I’m not at the front of the pack, but if I could fit a race in every weekend, I probably would.  At most races I tend to be in the back 1/3rd of the swim, middle of the bike, and the front 1/3rd running, ending up somewhere in the middle.

FAMILY STATUS: I’m married for 10 years with 3 fantastic kids, 2 to 7.  As much as I can, I try to keep my triathlon training/racing separate from family time.  This means very early workouts and the occasional missed training day on weekends. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I like to always have a plan, even if I don’t stick to it perfectly.  I’m currently finishing up a marathon run focused plan and am looking forward to transitioning back into more balance S/B/R, hopefully in time for my first HIM of the season at the end of June.  I always mean to mix strength training back in there, but I can’t seem to make it happen.

2013 RACES:  I’m not going to try another full distance race this year, but will most likely return to that in 2014.  I’m focusing on getting faster at all distances without committing the time I feel I’ll need to get faster at the full distance.  My goal or “A” races for 2013 are a May Marathon, a crazy 30k trail race, and the SOS tri (8 legs, kinda like a HIM in terms of difficulty).  But I’ll also do 2 HIMs, some more running races, and all of the sprints and OLY’s that I can fit in.  The local tri company came up with a season pass idea this year, so I’ll try to get my money’s worth.  I post all my planned races in my training log to keep focused and here to keep up with what the group is up to.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I lost all of the weight that I needed to when I started doing tri’s.  Now I just want to maintain.  I dabbled last year with trying to shave off extra pounds for racing, but just didn’t think it was worth the hassle for me.  I don't eat well and doubt that will change any time soon, but I have made other positive lifestyle changes a result of all this tri training.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I spend a lot of time thinking about training (maybe too much).  I do like to share, but like the small group feel of mentor groups. I was a part of KenJ’s group in 2012 and learned a lot and hopefully contributed a bit of what I learned through trial and error.  I’m happy to share and would love to hear from you all.

2013-05-02 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4724164

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2013-05-02 12:34 PM

I would like back in!!!

NAME: bdenehy/Bill Denehy 

STORY: I’m 38 and live in Cold Spring, NY (Hudson Valley).  I’ve done two seasons of triathlon and I am loving it.  The driving factor was my sorry state of fitness and health.  When I started, I was at my heaviest weight and was suffering terribly from a herniated disc and sciatica.  With 3 young kids to play with, I didn’t want to go through life acting like an old man at 36.    I started with dieting and strength training, then transitioned to S/B/R.  I had a background in recreational running from many moons ago but had never swam or biked, and have no history of team/organized sports.  I quickly found that biking is now my absolute favorite activity, but somewhere where I need a lot of improvement.

Training is great, but I LOVE racing.  I’m not at the front of the pack, but if I could fit a race in every weekend, I probably would.  At most races I tend to be in the back 1/3rd of the swim, middle of the bike, and the front 1/3rd running, ending up somewhere in the middle.

FAMILY STATUS: I’m married for 10 years with 3 fantastic kids, 2 to 7.  As much as I can, I try to keep my triathlon training/racing separate from family time.  This means very early workouts and the occasional missed training day on weekends. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I like to always have a plan, even if I don’t stick to it perfectly.  I’m currently finishing up a marathon run focused plan and am looking forward to transitioning back into more balance S/B/R, hopefully in time for my first HIM of the season at the end of June.  I always mean to mix strength training back in there, but I can’t seem to make it happen.

2013 RACES:  I’m not going to try another full distance race this year, but will most likely return to that in 2014.  I’m focusing on getting faster at all distances without committing the time I feel I’ll need to get faster at the full distance.  My goal or “A” races for 2013 are a May Marathon, a crazy 30k trail race, and the SOS tri (8 legs, kinda like a HIM in terms of difficulty).  But I’ll also do 2 HIMs, some more running races, and all of the sprints and OLY’s that I can fit in.  The local tri company came up with a season pass idea this year, so I’ll try to get my money’s worth.  I post all my planned races in my training log to keep focused and here to keep up with what the group is up to.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I lost all of the weight that I needed to when I started doing tri’s.  Now I just want to maintain.  I dabbled last year with trying to shave off extra pounds for racing, but just didn’t think it was worth the hassle for me.  I don't eat well and doubt that will change any time soon, but I have made other positive lifestyle changes a result of all this tri training.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I spend a lot of time thinking about training (maybe too much).  I do like to share, but like the small group feel of mentor groups. I was a part of KenJ’s group in 2012 and learned a lot and hopefully contributed a bit of what I learned through trial and error.  I’m happy to share and would love to hear from you all.

Great to have you back again Bill!!

2013-05-02 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
NAME: Ramiedd/ Eddie Ramirez

STORY: I just turned 44 and feel better than I have for a long time. I have been a life long cyclist. Mostly recreational, but typically average around two thousand miles on the bike a year. Triathlons were races that I just never thought I could participate in. I hated running and prior to late 2011, I had never ran more than 4 miles at one time. Late 2011, I was riding with a cycling friend who was a triathlete and had just moved into town. I shared with him that it was always something I wanted to do but just did not think I could do it. In that 40 mile ride, he convinced me that I could and I signed up for an Olympic distance race a month away. I did better than expected considering I had not swam in 20 years and running was new to me. I placed 3rd in the beginner category (lost most of my time on the run). I figured I would keep working and building, and signed up for the Rev3 Knoxville half Iron distance in May 2012 and had 5 months to get ready. Again, had a blast, (learned a lot) and finished 6:30 which was not bad considering I had a flat and the terrain is not very friendly to those who are challenge by hills and finally, I fought cramping the entire run/walk. fast forward to now and I have convinced my self that this 2013 is the year I want to tackle a full Iron distance event. Two main reasons are 1. my age and arthritis which runs in my family and I pretty much live with constant joint pain. Not unbearable yet, but starting with my ankles up to my shoulders I live with the discomfort. 2. my kids are 2 and 5 and as they get older it will be a challenge to train and keep up with their schedules etc. We also own a construction company which makes my schedule a daily changing event. I am registered for the Beach 2 Battleship Iron distance race in October and actively training for it.

FAMILY STATUS: I’m married for 7 years with 2 kids. Wife works full time and my life is a constant balancing act.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am very much self coached, I have tried to research coaching options, but my life is too crazy to have a scheduled training plan. How I work it out right now is 3 runs 3 bike and swim when I can. One short run, one medium run and a longer run. right now I am up to 13 miles on my long run. I fit in a recovery week every 4th week with reduced distances and work load. I fit cycling week days after the kids go to bed in the trainer and 1 long ride outside, but since I am confident on that sport, I just ride when I can. indoor riding is focused with hard intervals.

2012 RACES: Did the Rev3 Half Iron in Knoxville. wanted to do an Olympic later in the year, but life got in the way.

2013 RACES: My goal is to sign up for the beach2battleship iron distance this weekend. If something happens and I can't do the full, I can always reduce it to a half.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am right where I want to be right now.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a good listener and love to research and understand a process. Always have enjoyed advised from people who have tried something and have had success with it. I read somewhere that each individual is an experiment of one so I understand that everyone's make up is different, but I am always open to try.
2013-05-02 2:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Hi there - I wonder if I could join this group? My name is Jennifer and I live in the uk. I am 48 and have competed in local sprint triathlons for the last 4 years. I usually finish last - both for my age group and overall but I still enjoy it. However, in a fit of madness I have entered a half ironman for beginning of June next year. This is mainly because I was talking to my tri club secretary about how I would love to do an ironman race in about 3/4 years time and he said that I should get a move on due to my advancing age!! (in a more polite manner but I knew what he meant).

And that was the plan..however, since then family issues have got in the way of my training - leaving my motivation on the floor..which is only now coming back..so..I will probably only do my first olympic this year (I say only..really its a big thing for me really).. and hope to focus on a HIM for next year. SO, can I stay? I love hearing about all your races and long distance issues - truly inspiring.

I live with a partner and we have two teenage children between us. I been in mentor groups before and I like the idea that people are watching in order to make sure I'm doing the training. Laziness is another of my downfalls.

The above paragraph is still true. Ken, you asked me how my training was going and the answer is.. better. I am beginning to understand how important consistency is - and I am getting back to my goals in swimming and running but I am still avoiding the bike a bit. Which is an issue as it is really really the biggest bit of triathlon. I will get there.

Jennifer

Jennifer Laughing
2013-05-02 2:47 PM

User image

Sign me up for another round, please! 

STORY:  I did my first sprint tri at the end of 2011 and fell in love with the sport.  Previously I had been a slow but steady runner.  My kids were getting a little bit older and I had time for a hobby...and here I am!  As I remind my husband, it's cheaper than a cocaine habit!

I live in New Mexico and I work in an Emergency Department, so my schedule is pretty random, and I struggle with staying consistent with my training.  The learning curve was steep in 2012 and I did 6 sprints and 3 olys, and ended up winning 2nd in my (small) age group in our local point series.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to a wonderful supportive and non-running husband and have 2 boys age 3 and 5. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in "Build 2" following Joe Friel's plan for my A race June 23rd.

2013 RACES/GOALS: My major goal is to improve my performance in the Oly distance.  Last year I was racing the sprints well, but felt like I was surviving the Olys instead of racing them.  I think lack of volume in my training was the problem.  I want to compete in our local point series again with improvements in the Oly races.

I'd also like to do my first HIM in the fall, just to finish it.

Feb 23 Disneyworld Princess Half Marathon

March  Moab Skinny Tire Festival

April  Rio Grande Sprint Tri

June Billy the Kid Sprint and Storrie Lake Oly (my A race)

July City of Lakes Sprint or Oly

Aug 505 (between and Oly and a HIM distance)

Fall HIM ?????????  Open to suggestions...  The last race in my point series is "Jornada del Muerto" a new HIM, but it's supposed to be brutally difficult.  Shoud be a really small field, though, so it might not be a bad idea, strategically...

I'm really excited to be part of such an active group!  Thanks.

Jaime

2013-05-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4724483

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2013-05-02 2:43 PM NAME: Ramiedd/ Eddie Ramirez STORY: I just turned 44 and feel better than I have for a long time. I have been a life long cyclist. Mostly recreational, but typically average around two thousand miles on the bike a year. Triathlons were races that I just never thought I could participate in. I hated running and prior to late 2011, I had never ran more than 4 miles at one time. Late 2011, I was riding with a cycling friend who was a triathlete and had just moved into town. I shared with him that it was always something I wanted to do but just did not think I could do it. In that 40 mile ride, he convinced me that I could and I signed up for an Olympic distance race a month away. I did better than expected considering I had not swam in 20 years and running was new to me. I placed 3rd in the beginner category (lost most of my time on the run). I figured I would keep working and building, and signed up for the Rev3 Knoxville half Iron distance in May 2012 and had 5 months to get ready. Again, had a blast, (learned a lot) and finished 6:30 which was not bad considering I had a flat and the terrain is not very friendly to those who are challenge by hills and finally, I fought cramping the entire run/walk. fast forward to now and I have convinced my self that this 2013 is the year I want to tackle a full Iron distance event. Two main reasons are 1. my age and arthritis which runs in my family and I pretty much live with constant joint pain. Not unbearable yet, but starting with my ankles up to my shoulders I live with the discomfort. 2. my kids are 2 and 5 and as they get older it will be a challenge to train and keep up with their schedules etc. We also own a construction company which makes my schedule a daily changing event. I am registered for the Beach 2 Battleship Iron distance race in October and actively training for it. FAMILY STATUS: I’m married for 7 years with 2 kids. Wife works full time and my life is a constant balancing act. CURRENT TRAINING: I am very much self coached, I have tried to research coaching options, but my life is too crazy to have a scheduled training plan. How I work it out right now is 3 runs 3 bike and swim when I can. One short run, one medium run and a longer run. right now I am up to 13 miles on my long run. I fit in a recovery week every 4th week with reduced distances and work load. I fit cycling week days after the kids go to bed in the trainer and 1 long ride outside, but since I am confident on that sport, I just ride when I can. indoor riding is focused with hard intervals. 2012 RACES: Did the Rev3 Half Iron in Knoxville. wanted to do an Olympic later in the year, but life got in the way. 2013 RACES: My goal is to sign up for the beach2battleship iron distance this weekend. If something happens and I can't do the full, I can always reduce it to a half. WEIGHTLOSS: I am right where I want to be right now. WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a good listener and love to research and understand a process. Always have enjoyed advised from people who have tried something and have had success with it. I read somewhere that each individual is an experiment of one so I understand that everyone's make up is different, but I am always open to try.

Thanks for the bio and update Eddie!!

2013-05-02 3:09 PM
in reply to: #4724560

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

jennifer65 - 2013-05-02 3:10 PM Hi there - I wonder if I could join this group? My name is Jennifer and I live in the uk. I am 48 and have competed in local sprint triathlons for the last 4 years. I usually finish last - both for my age group and overall but I still enjoy it. However, in a fit of madness I have entered a half ironman for beginning of June next year. This is mainly because I was talking to my tri club secretary about how I would love to do an ironman race in about 3/4 years time and he said that I should get a move on due to my advancing age!! (in a more polite manner but I knew what he meant). And that was the plan..however, since then family issues have got in the way of my training - leaving my motivation on the floor..which is only now coming back..so..I will probably only do my first olympic this year (I say only..really its a big thing for me really).. and hope to focus on a HIM for next year. SO, can I stay? I love hearing about all your races and long distance issues - truly inspiring. I live with a partner and we have two teenage children between us. I been in mentor groups before and I like the idea that people are watching in order to make sure I'm doing the training. Laziness is another of my downfalls. The above paragraph is still true. Ken, you asked me how my training was going and the answer is.. better. I am beginning to understand how important consistency is - and I am getting back to my goals in swimming and running but I am still avoiding the bike a bit. Which is an issue as it is really really the biggest bit of triathlon. I will get there. Jennifer Jennifer Laughing

Good to have you back with us Jennifer!

2013-05-02 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4724660

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-05-02 3:47 PM

Sign me up for another round, please! 

STORY:  I did my first sprint tri at the end of 2011 and fell in love with the sport.  Previously I had been a slow but steady runner.  My kids were getting a little bit older and I had time for a hobby...and here I am!  As I remind my husband, it's cheaper than a cocaine habit!

I live in New Mexico and I work in an Emergency Department, so my schedule is pretty random, and I struggle with staying consistent with my training.  The learning curve was steep in 2012 and I did 6 sprints and 3 olys, and ended up winning 2nd in my (small) age group in our local point series.

FAMILY STATUS: I'm married to a wonderful supportive and non-running husband and have 2 boys age 3 and 5. 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in "Build 2" following Joe Friel's plan for my A race June 23rd.

2013 RACES/GOALS: My major goal is to improve my performance in the Oly distance.  Last year I was racing the sprints well, but felt like I was surviving the Olys instead of racing them.  I think lack of volume in my training was the problem.  I want to compete in our local point series again with improvements in the Oly races.

I'd also like to do my first HIM in the fall, just to finish it.

Feb 23 Disneyworld Princess Half Marathon

March  Moab Skinny Tire Festival

April  Rio Grande Sprint Tri

June Billy the Kid Sprint and Storrie Lake Oly (my A race)

July City of Lakes Sprint or Oly

Aug 505 (between and Oly and a HIM distance)

Fall HIM ?????????  Open to suggestions...  The last race in my point series is "Jornada del Muerto" a new HIM, but it's supposed to be brutally difficult.  Shoud be a really small field, though, so it might not be a bad idea, strategically...

I'm really excited to be part of such an active group!  Thanks.

Jaime

Great Jaime!!

Good to have you part of the group again!!

2013-05-02 3:55 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
I am in.  Will post my bio later. Thanks!
2013-05-02 6:08 PM

User image

Master
Sin City
I'm in for third round...or fourth...lol!

NAME: DJ

STORY: I'm 34 living in Vegas. I started cycling in 2009, and did my first triathlon in 2010, two more and one Olympic as well as my first Half-marathon. In 2011, I did one triathlon, and focused in school and cycling, and did my second 1/2 Mary. In 2012, I graduated with honors, and did a few triathlons, and mostly cycling. For 2013 season, I have no triathlons planned, but it is possible that I'll do Irongirl, maybe one more. It's really up in the air. I do triathlons for fun.

FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for almost 8 months, but been together for over 8 years. :D No kids yet, but I have 5 cats, a dog, and two bearded dragons. I was born and raised in NJ and moved to Las Vegas 5 years ago.

CURRENT TRAINING: Cycling focused. I recently finished my first Century of the year (3rd Century), and I have two more coming up in the next couple weeks. I recently started to add strength training (my fault for not starting in the winter), and will remain doing strength training through the Summer and maybe add one or two more Fall Centuries. Depends. :D

2013 RACES: No races, but my "A" Century ride is San Diego Century on June 1st.

WEIGHTLOSS: Ptth. still struggling to lose some of the "jello" I've got. I'm hoping that with the extra strength training I will at least look a little more toned. I've been eating better though. Lots of fruits, and substituting junk food for healthy food. I'm not 100% there yet, but my diet is way better than it was last year. I actually enjoy making smoothies!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Supportive/cheerleader and can give good advice with bike stuff and give some of my experiences. I have not done any HIMs or IMs, but I've read up a lot on various tips that I can relay.
2013-05-02 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Ken - I am in again!!!

NAME: Robin

STORY:  This is my 4th year training for triathlons.  Taking that plunge and signing up for my first sprint was one of the best things I have done for myself and I enjoy the training immensely. So far I have only competed in sprints and some Half marathons and longer bike tours.  This year has been my first year training for a longer distance race (FL 70.3) I come from a swimming background and swam in HS.  My husband bikes (road and mountain) so I have a lot of advice there.  Started running for really the first time ever consistently 3 years ago and finished 2 half marathons since then.   I have always been active and enjoy sports, but until I started training for triathlons I never had any real consistency in my workouts. 

FAMILY: I am 38 years old. married for 17 years with 2 kids, ages 7 & 9! Moved to Anchorage, Alaska a year and half ago and am still transitioning to AK life. My hubby is currently training for the Garrett Co. Grand Fondo (120miles, 17,000' of climbing) in June so we fight over trainer hours and gu's as of late, and talk way to much about training!

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training for a HIM with this week being the last BIG week before taper.  No time at the moment for anything else, though I will be doing a lot more hiking as the weather warms up and snow melts.

2012 races: Last years races were a bit of a bust as a suffered from plantar fasciitis for the first 4 months of the year. Managed to squeak in one sprint, a long bike tour/race and a half marathon.  Also living in Alaska - there aren't many choices in races - nothing longer than 1 olympic in the summer.

2013 races:  My main focus is Ironman FL 70.3 in May. I can't believe it is only 17 days away!!!   My sister in law convinced me to sign up for the Chicago Marathon in October and will start training for it in June. Unfortunately she just tore her ACL and may not be able to race Hopefully a few local sprints/oly and a HM or two as well.

WEIGHT LOSS: The move to AK has been hard on my waistline!  I am currently up about 15 pounds 4 pounds from my race weight a year and a half ago. I do very well during the week, however I seem to sabotage all the hard efforts on weekends. This is something I need to work on as I would love to get back down to my lowest and maybe even lower! Probably won't happen for the HIM, but hopefully for the Chicago marathon

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE?  I am a great cheerleader for others and love to see everyone around me
working towards their goals and completing them - that is super motivating for me! I am still relatively new to the sport and can remember those firsts and can help others just starting out. Coming off an injury has also taught me a lot about patience and figuring out what my body is telling me.  I still have lots to learn and am super excited to continue the learning process.

This is my 4th 5th! season in KenJ's group and am excited to continue on under his mentorship (this group rocks!).  I look forward to meeting all the new folks!

2013-05-03 12:00 AM

User image

Regular
Denver

NAME: CarlaLThompson/ Carla L. Thompson

FAMILY STATUS: Single, No Children, German Shorthaired Pointer named Lady (6yrs Old)

STORY:  I am a 47 Year Old “African/American” Woman.  I stand 6’0” so everyone mistakes me for a “Basketball Player”.  Contrary to popular belief I did not grow up participating in sports.  While I did swim in High School it certainly would not be considered “competitive”. 

I fell in love with the sport of “Triathlon” and have been training and racing since 1999.

While I have the passion and enthusiasm of a Professional Triathlete,  speed in any of the three sports seems elude me. 

Up until now I have been a “Back of the Packer”… 16:30+ Ironman… Final Finisher.  I am ready to believe that “Speed is Possible!”

The Ironman Moto is “Anything is Possible” and I’m here to prove just that!

Below are my most significant accomplishments with respect to Triathlon:

• Ironman Florida 2010 Finisher
  • Ironman Coeur d’Alene 2012 Finisher
  • 70.3 New Orleans 2012 Personal Record

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  

• June 2013 – 70.3 Kansas
  • August 2013 - Ironman Mont-Tremblant (Quebec, Canada)  First International Event

CURRENT TRAINING:

I have been having a very rough go at getting consistent with my training.  While I do still feel the desire to train and race I have decided to do this year a little different.

Since 2010 Triathlon has been my sole focus.  While I like many aspects of this streamlined way of being, I am realizing that other aspects of myself were starved to death.

This year my goal is to include ALL “Key Elements” that contribute to me as a “Whole Person”.  So while my training may look to be suffering on the surface, my ultimate goal is to structure my life so that I end up feeling more “Balance” than “Skewed”.

Other Inclusions:

Dating:  I am 47 years old and I do not have a Primary Relationship.  I watch others train and race with the support of their family.  My heart longs for this.  After I finished Ironman Coeur d’Alene 2012, finding a relationship partner become paramount.  Things didn’t fair well with my first attempt at connection, so I’ve been mending my heart and preparing to get back on the horse again.

Spiritual Life: While I don’t consider myself a “Bible Thumper”, honoring and being “In Service” in my Spiritual Community has also become prominent for me.  I had been waiting for a very specific opportunity to serve and that option came available to me in November 2012.  I now spend three hours every Thursday supporting congregants in the role of “Spiritual Counselor”.  The time and way that I give at the church seems  to “Feed my Soul”.  I hope to continue in this role for a minimum of one year. 

Swim:  I enjoy swimming and swim generally well.  My body positioning needs improvement and I have spoiled myself by using a pull buoy for many of my sets in the past.  I continue to use it today.  I may consider joining a masters team to support my goal to improve in this sport.  At a minimum I just want to be efficient and strong in the water.  The effort it would take to improve my swim will not be as great as what I could gain on the bike.  I currently swim a 2:00/100yd Pace for a 2.4 Mile Pool Swim.

Bike:  Biking remains a challenge.  My weight is up 15lbs since Ironman Coeur d’Alene in June of 2012.  I am refocused on my intake but as you can imagine, the weight is not coming off as quickly as it went on.

I have been reviewing my training plan and will be introducing “Double Bikes” where I bike two days in a row.  I hear this method works well with respect to improving speed, strength and endurance.  Stay tuned for my actual results.

Run:  I actually enjoy running… and I was actually posting a decent tempo after gaining the fitness needed for Ironman Coeur d’Alene.  Presently my hip is tender and I am taking it easy while trying to introduce more consistent training.  I hope to build my run out to be a sub-11 min mile pace Off The Bike!

WEIGHTLOSS: I stand 6’0” and currently weigh 196 lbs.  My Goal Weight is 165lbs. 

I kinda “Let my hair down” after Ironman Coeur d’Alene.  While I enjoyed a weight of 183lbs, it was difficult to sustain for me.  Now I am paying the price of refocusing my eating and restricting my casual consumptions of “Vending Machine Items” and Candy.  I hope the scale responds to my most recent efforts.  I just need a little reward.  I use MyFitnessPal.com and I am enjoying the community and calorie information interface. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  One of my greatest passions is to connect with others from the heart.  I enjoy being a part of a community of like minded “Triathlon Training” people who share a similar goal. 

While I am not very fast, I have trained and raced quite a bit over the years.  I look forward to sharing my “Tips and Tricks” of how I faced the feelings and anxieties of my many “Pre-Race Nights and Race Mornings”. 

I look forward to reading all of the bio’s posted.  In the mean time please reach out to me and help me get to know you!

Until then…

Have Big Fun In the Sun… SWIM, BIKE, RUN!!!

Edited by CarlaLThompson 2013-05-03 12:10 AM
2013-05-03 3:33 AM
in reply to: #4724825

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2013-05-02 4:55 PM I am in.  Will post my bio later. Thanks!

Good to have you back for another season Kathleen!!

2013-05-03 3:34 AM
in reply to: #4725032

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

CyborgQueen - 2013-05-02 7:08 PM I'm in for third round...or fourth...lol! NAME: DJ STORY: I'm 34 living in Vegas. I started cycling in 2009, and did my first triathlon in 2010, two more and one Olympic as well as my first Half-marathon. In 2011, I did one triathlon, and focused in school and cycling, and did my second 1/2 Mary. In 2012, I graduated with honors, and did a few triathlons, and mostly cycling. For 2013 season, I have no triathlons planned, but it is possible that I'll do Irongirl, maybe one more. It's really up in the air. I do triathlons for fun. FAMILY STATUS: I've been married for almost 8 months, but been together for over 8 years. :D No kids yet, but I have 5 cats, a dog, and two bearded dragons. I was born and raised in NJ and moved to Las Vegas 5 years ago. CURRENT TRAINING: Cycling focused. I recently finished my first Century of the year (3rd Century), and I have two more coming up in the next couple weeks. I recently started to add strength training (my fault for not starting in the winter), and will remain doing strength training through the Summer and maybe add one or two more Fall Centuries. Depends. :D 2013 RACES: No races, but my "A" Century ride is San Diego Century on June 1st. WEIGHTLOSS: Ptth. still struggling to lose some of the "jello" I've got. I'm hoping that with the extra strength training I will at least look a little more toned. I've been eating better though. Lots of fruits, and substituting junk food for healthy food. I'm not 100% there yet, but my diet is way better than it was last year. I actually enjoy making smoothies! WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Supportive/cheerleader and can give good advice with bike stuff and give some of my experiences. I have not done any HIMs or IMs, but I've read up a lot on various tips that I can relay.

Thanks for posting DJ!!  Great to have you again!!

2013-05-03 3:35 AM
in reply to: #4725238

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2013-05-02 10:23 PM

Ken - I am in again!!!

NAME: Robin

STORY:  This is my 4th year training for triathlons.  Taking that plunge and signing up for my first sprint was one of the best things I have done for myself and I enjoy the training immensely. So far I have only competed in sprints and some Half marathons and longer bike tours.  This year has been my first year training for a longer distance race (FL 70.3) I come from a swimming background and swam in HS.  My husband bikes (road and mountain) so I have a lot of advice there.  Started running for really the first time ever consistently 3 years ago and finished 2 half marathons since then.   I have always been active and enjoy sports, but until I started training for triathlons I never had any real consistency in my workouts. 

FAMILY: I am 38 years old. married for 17 years with 2 kids, ages 7 & 9! Moved to Anchorage, Alaska a year and half ago and am still transitioning to AK life. My hubby is currently training for the Garrett Co. Grand Fondo (120miles, 17,000' of climbing) in June so we fight over trainer hours and gu's as of late, and talk way to much about training!

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training for a HIM with this week being the last BIG week before taper.  No time at the moment for anything else, though I will be doing a lot more hiking as the weather warms up and snow melts.

2012 races: Last years races were a bit of a bust as a suffered from plantar fasciitis for the first 4 months of the year. Managed to squeak in one sprint, a long bike tour/race and a half marathon.  Also living in Alaska - there aren't many choices in races - nothing longer than 1 olympic in the summer.

2013 races:  My main focus is Ironman FL 70.3 in May. I can't believe it is only 17 days away!!!   My sister in law convinced me to sign up for the Chicago Marathon in October and will start training for it in June. Unfortunately she just tore her ACL and may not be able to race Hopefully a few local sprints/oly and a HM or two as well.

WEIGHT LOSS: The move to AK has been hard on my waistline!  I am currently up about 15 pounds 4 pounds from my race weight a year and a half ago. I do very well during the week, however I seem to sabotage all the hard efforts on weekends. This is something I need to work on as I would love to get back down to my lowest and maybe even lower! Probably won't happen for the HIM, but hopefully for the Chicago marathon

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE?  I am a great cheerleader for others and love to see everyone around me
working towards their goals and completing them - that is super motivating for me! I am still relatively new to the sport and can remember those firsts and can help others just starting out. Coming off an injury has also taught me a lot about patience and figuring out what my body is telling me.  I still have lots to learn and am super excited to continue the learning process.

This is my 4th 5th! season in KenJ's group and am excited to continue on under his mentorship (this group rocks!).  I look forward to meeting all the new folks!

Thanks Robin!!!

I am looking forward to meeting you in person!! 2 weeks and we will be racing in Florida!! Woo hoo!!  (Which is why I am posting this at 4:30 am so I can squeeze in a run/swim brick before work!)

Edited by kenj 2013-05-03 3:36 AM
2013-05-03 3:38 AM
in reply to: #4725350

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
CarlaLThompson - 2013-05-03 1:00 AM

NAME: CarlaLThompson/ Carla L. Thompson

FAMILY STATUS: Single, No Children, German Shorthaired Pointer named Lady (6yrs Old)

STORY:  I am a 47 Year Old “African/American” Woman.  I stand 6’0” so everyone mistakes me for a “Basketball Player”.  Contrary to popular belief I did not grow up participating in sports.  While I did swim in High School it certainly would not be considered “competitive”. 

I fell in love with the sport of “Triathlon” and have been training and racing since 1999.

While I have the passion and enthusiasm of a Professional Triathlete,  speed in any of the three sports seems elude me. 

Up until now I have been a “Back of the Packer”… 16:30+ Ironman… Final Finisher.  I am ready to believe that “Speed is Possible!”

The Ironman Moto is “Anything is Possible” and I’m here to prove just that!

Below are my most significant accomplishments with respect to Triathlon:

• Ironman Florida 2010 Finisher
  • Ironman Coeur d’Alene 2012 Finisher
  • 70.3 New Orleans 2012 Personal Record

THIS YEAR'S RACES:  

• June 2013 – 70.3 Kansas
  • August 2013 - Ironman Mont-Tremblant (Quebec, Canada)  First International Event

CURRENT TRAINING:

I have been having a very rough go at getting consistent with my training.  While I do still feel the desire to train and race I have decided to do this year a little different.

Since 2010 Triathlon has been my sole focus.  While I like many aspects of this streamlined way of being, I am realizing that other aspects of myself were starved to death.

This year my goal is to include ALL “Key Elements” that contribute to me as a “Whole Person”.  So while my training may look to be suffering on the surface, my ultimate goal is to structure my life so that I end up feeling more “Balance” than “Skewed”.

Other Inclusions:

Dating:  I am 47 years old and I do not have a Primary Relationship.  I watch others train and race with the support of their family.  My heart longs for this.  After I finished Ironman Coeur d’Alene 2012, finding a relationship partner become paramount.  Things didn’t fair well with my first attempt at connection, so I’ve been mending my heart and preparing to get back on the horse again.

Spiritual Life: While I don’t consider myself a “Bible Thumper”, honoring and being “In Service” in my Spiritual Community has also become prominent for me.  I had been waiting for a very specific opportunity to serve and that option came available to me in November 2012.  I now spend three hours every Thursday supporting congregants in the role of “Spiritual Counselor”.  The time and way that I give at the church seems  to “Feed my Soul”.  I hope to continue in this role for a minimum of one year. 

Swim:  I enjoy swimming and swim generally well.  My body positioning needs improvement and I have spoiled myself by using a pull buoy for many of my sets in the past.  I continue to use it today.  I may consider joining a masters team to support my goal to improve in this sport.  At a minimum I just want to be efficient and strong in the water.  The effort it would take to improve my swim will not be as great as what I could gain on the bike.  I currently swim a 2:00/100yd Pace for a 2.4 Mile Pool Swim.

Bike:  Biking remains a challenge.  My weight is up 15lbs since Ironman Coeur d’Alene in June of 2012.  I am refocused on my intake but as you can imagine, the weight is not coming off as quickly as it went on.

I have been reviewing my training plan and will be introducing “Double Bikes” where I bike two days in a row.  I hear this method works well with respect to improving speed, strength and endurance.  Stay tuned for my actual results.

Run:  I actually enjoy running… and I was actually posting a decent tempo after gaining the fitness needed for Ironman Coeur d’Alene.  Presently my hip is tender and I am taking it easy while trying to introduce more consistent training.  I hope to build my run out to be a sub-11 min mile pace Off The Bike!

WEIGHTLOSS: I stand 6’0” and currently weigh 196 lbs.  My Goal Weight is 165lbs. 

I kinda “Let my hair down” after Ironman Coeur d’Alene.  While I enjoyed a weight of 183lbs, it was difficult to sustain for me.  Now I am paying the price of refocusing my eating and restricting my casual consumptions of “Vending Machine Items” and Candy.  I hope the scale responds to my most recent efforts.  I just need a little reward.  I use MyFitnessPal.com and I am enjoying the community and calorie information interface. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  One of my greatest passions is to connect with others from the heart.  I enjoy being a part of a community of like minded “Triathlon Training” people who share a similar goal. 

While I am not very fast, I have trained and raced quite a bit over the years.  I look forward to sharing my “Tips and Tricks” of how I faced the feelings and anxieties of my many “Pre-Race Nights and Race Mornings”. 

I look forward to reading all of the bio’s posted.  In the mean time please reach out to me and help me get to know you!

Until then…

Have Big Fun In the Sun… SWIM, BIKE, RUN!!!

Carla, I am glad that you have joined us again!!  (Along with iron dog!)  I am looking forward to following you through your IM in Mt Tremblant!!

2013-05-03 9:05 AM

User image

New user
I am in for this group, too! I have really enjoyed the mentor group so far, my first experience with it, so I'm glad this will continue. Will repost bio soon.

Thanks!
2013-05-03 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4725692

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rquinn23 - 2013-05-03 10:05 AM I am in for this group, too! I have really enjoyed the mentor group so far, my first experience with it, so I'm glad this will continue. Will repost bio soon. Thanks!

Great Becky!! Good to have you back again!

2013-05-03 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

NAME: acv/ Adam

STORY: I'm 44 years old.  I live on Long Island in New York.  My wife actually signed us up for our first tri. She never trained and I sort of trained for it. The kicker was that we had a wedding to go to the night before. I got 4 hours of sleep and almost packed it in during the swim. I was exhausted but pushed through to finish. It was a great experience!

This will be my 5th year doing tri’s. Last year was my best year so. I stepped up to some longer distance races and really enjoyed them.

FAMILY STATUS: I’ve been married 12 years, I have three children (all boys) 10, 8 and 4. I’m pretty busy with the family.

CURRENT TRAINING: I just finished my winter program which was run focused. I did manage a few weeks of biking on the trainer. Starting this Monday its tri season!

THIS PAST YEAR'S RACES:
 This past season I opened the season with a marathon and ended it w/ a half ironman. I mixed in some 5 & 10 K’s and a sprint.

2013 RACES:   I’m doing a half marathon this Sunday. I have an Olympic in June which is my first tri of the year. I will also do a sprint sometime in the summer, I also have a few 5 & 10 K’s that I like to do during the season. Then finish off the season with a HIM, I have unfinished business with that course.

WEIGHTLOSS:
 I’ve dropped few pounds and I’m at 188 right now, which is still too much for me. At one time I was at 240.

GOAL: Do better than last year!

I’m excited to be part of this mentor group again!

2013-05-03 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern CT

Still open??

Name: skitri/Maggie

Story: 12 days til I'm 43...started triathlons 4 years ago after being sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Haven't looked back since.  Have done sprints, Olympic, 2 HIM with a 3rd coming June 2nd and hopefully my first IM at Mont Tremblant this year.  I'm signed up but hubby may be transferred to CA (were in CT) this summer--so who knows what's going to happen.

Family Status : Married 12 years with two kids - 10 & 8 

Current Training : Following Finks 30 week competitive IM training.  Keeping up pretty well..but ready for some OWS - so sick of looking at that black line in the pool.

This Past Year's Races: REV3 Quassy -HIM & Marine Corp Marathon

2013 Races: REV3 Quassy HIM, couple of local sprints and god willing IMMT!!

Weightloss - I saw another person talk about "jelly" - I like that term.  I try not to get stressed out about my weight -I am faster and strong than I've ever been, but....it is so tough losing weight when you're training this much..it shouldn't be.  I would love to lose about 10-15lbs. - I would settle for just a little leaner in the midsection - where I carry most (all) of my weight!)

Goal: Faster bike/run at REV3 and complete the Ironman without dying!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj triathletes in training - IM and HIM focused - Closed Rss Feed  

of 63