BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-07-31 6:19 AM
in reply to: swimmer04

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN

Originally posted by swimmer04 Matt nice race and a solid bike split! Had a bike race this past weekend. Crit in Malvern, Pa. 20 lap around a business park that had wide open turns! This was nice since there was not a lot of yo-yoing out of the turns. I'll post of a race report today, but the quick and dirty is that I went solo with 7 to go and had a solid gap. One guy bridged up to me with 4 to go and we got caught with 1 to go. I was gassed, but tried to get away again knowing my sprint was shot, I got shut down immediately and soft pedaled across 2nd to last

THAT is an exciting race!  2nd to last after an epic ride is fine, IMO.  Laughing

Felicity, glad you're back at it and feeling well.  Hard to wrap my mind around your being mid-winter rather than mid-race season (but then again, I've been told my mind isn't all that capacious, despite being broad).  Wink

Matt

2013-07-31 10:28 AM
in reply to: flossybach

User image

East of the Rockies
Originally posted by flossybach

You are all an inspiration to me and I love reading about what everyone is doing and Race reports.
Cheers
Felicity

X2! I love hearing about other peoples races!
Time to get back in the groove eh Felicity! Although I plan on taking a break after my "A" race here in August I don't plan on letting myself go for too long as I would ultimately like to "complete" a HIM in the next year or two. Need to get a few OLY's in and out of the way first!

Howard
2013-08-05 10:47 AM
in reply to: hwkirby

User image

East of the Rockies
Starting my taper for my first OLY this coming Sunday! Did a 5k run yesterday morning and clocked a PB at 25:25 which I was pretty stoked about! I can't even think about the race as it gives me pangs of nervousness! haha I think the swim will go okay and the bike will be my strongest discipline and then we'll have to see about the legs after the bike. I did a brick a couple of days ago, did 65 k on the bike and then an 8 k run but didn't have much left for the run. I will try a smaller brick this week (probably tomorrow) do maybe a 40 k bike and a 5 k run or something and see how that goes. I am in hopes of completing the race in under 3 hours. Have a great week everyone!

Howard
2013-08-07 12:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by hwkirby Starting my taper for my first OLY this coming Sunday! Did a 5k run yesterday morning and clocked a PB at 25:25 which I was pretty stoked about! I can't even think about the race as it gives me pangs of nervousness! haha I think the swim will go okay and the bike will be my strongest discipline and then we'll have to see about the legs after the bike. I did a brick a couple of days ago, did 65 k on the bike and then an 8 k run but didn't have much left for the run. I will try a smaller brick this week (probably tomorrow) do maybe a 40 k bike and a 5 k run or something and see how that goes. I am in hopes of completing the race in under 3 hours. Have a great week everyone! Howard

Congrats on the 5k - strong work!  From the sound of it, and your training bricks, you appear more than ready.

Can't wait to read the RR!

Good luck and have fun.

Matt

2013-08-08 9:25 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

Bartlett, TN
Howard--It is time for the fun part now. Make sure you get plenty of sleep Friday night before the Sunday race because sleep may be a litte tough Saturday night.

David
2013-08-10 7:58 AM
in reply to: Day-Day

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
RACE DAY TOMORROW!!!! 2nd 'A' race for the year followed by last 'A' race 6 days later on Saturday. Trying to put 2 top performance together back to back. Luckily Sunday's race is a Oly and Saturday is a Sprint so it will be much easier to carry over fitness. I'm racing in the Elite wave tomorrow so taking a chance to play with the big boys. Was scoping out the competition and saw a top age grouper whom has an article written about them on Slowtwitch and another top age grouper who I raced last month in Maryland, came off the bike 2nd behind him, but as you know my run was rough (also not tapered). I think it will be a pretty tight race and all the pieces will have to fit together just like they did at Columbia earlier this year. Excited to be fully rested and racing again, nothing more exciting than that! I've also updated my blog with some race reports and weekend excitement. Trying to take plenty of pictures of this weekend for the race report afterwards. Already had my morning pancakes and coffee!

2013-08-12 8:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Go get 'em!  RR or it didn't happen. 

Taper week for me before Timberman HIM, so I'm watching what I shove in my face, too (from your blog, sounds like you have the same thoughts during tapers).

Can't wait to hear how it goes for you.

Matt

2013-08-12 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
1st RR is up for viewing pleasure. All in all it went pretty well, although my bike was weaker than normal. Not sure what caused that exactly, maybe the fact I felt a little pukey for the first 5-7 miles?
2013-08-14 9:15 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

East of the Rockies
Very cool Jason! I continue to be amazed at your ability to perform! Your times are incredible! Congratulations!

Matt all the best to you this weekend! I hope it all comes together well for you and that you exceed your expectations!

For me....ran my last race of the year this past weekend and my first OLY. Well to say it didn't go as I expected is an understatement! My wife and I were out Sat celebrating our 29th anniversary and we ate something that made us sick. I was up a few times in the night cleaning out, if you get my drift. Sun morning found me still a little queasy and certainly not in "A1" shape. I went to my race any way and thought I would see how I felt just prior to the race. Was able to down a Cliff bar and some water so I thought I would give it a whirl. My wife thinks I am crazy! But you know you train hard for months and you hate to see it all just fall by the wayside...at least I do! So my swim and bike weren't to bad a little slow for me, according to my latest training runs anyway, but I had absolutely nothing left for the run. It was jog for two minutes walk for one, almost. Took me 1:16 to do my 10.3 km. I had been running that distance in the 55min range and lower the past month or so. I was really thinking I would be able to do it in less than an hour at the very least. My goal was to finish the OLY it in less than 3 hours but my final time was 3:21 and change. Pretty dissappointing. Ah well, as I am used to hearing myself saying, "next year"! Can only get better from here I guess!

Howard

Edited by hwkirby 2013-08-14 12:25 PM
2013-08-14 11:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by hwkirby Very cool Jason! I continue to be amazed at your ability to perform! Your times are incredible! Congratulations! Matt all the best to you this weekend! I hope it all comes together well for you and that you exceed your expectations! For me....ran my last race of the year this past weekend and my first OLY. Well to say it didn't go as I expected is an understatement! My wife and I were out Sat celebrating our 29th anniversary and we ate something that made us sick. I was up a few times in the night cleaning out, if you get my drift. Sun morning found me still a little queasy and certainly not in "A1" shape. I went to my race any way and thought I would see how I felt just prior to the race. Was able to down a Cliff bar and some water so I thought I would give it a whirl. My wife thinks I am crazy! But you know you train hard for months and you hate to see it all just fall by the wayside...at least I do! So my swim and bike weren't to bad a little slow for me, according to my latest training runs anyway, but I had absolutely nothing left for the run. It was jog for two minutes walk for one, almost. Took me 1:21 to do my 10.3 km. I had been running that distance in the 55min range and lower the past month or so. I was really thinking I would be able to do it in less than an hour at the very least. My goal was to finish the OLY it in less than 3 hours but my final time was 3:21 and change. Pretty dissappointing. Ah well, as I am used to hearing myself saying, "next year"! Can only get better from here I guess! Howard

Hey - that's a PR!! 

Just that you were able to complete it after the old Roto-rooter (bad oysters?), is impressive.  I'm not at all surprised that the run was brutal - after the s/b on an empty tank, I would have been amazed at anything different.  That said, to gut it out (no pun intended) and finish is very strong work in itself (as long as you didn't risk real harm, of course - guessing you were just on empty, as you were able to continue jogging some).

And think of this - not only was this a PR, it sets you up to CRUSH your previous time at your next race.  Laughing

I'm sure it was disappointing (I know I would have woken up angry with the world), but I sort of see this race and the PR in it as secondary to what I'm assuming is another PR - 29 years!!

We're more than a decade behind that most important of milestones, so most of all:  Congrats on the anniversary!

Next year, though, postpone the oysters (or mexican or whatever) until after the race.   Wink

Congrats again on showing that strength - it's the hard races that show what you're made of!

Matt

2013-08-14 12:31 PM

User image

East of the Rockies
Thanks Matt! I keep thinking that very thing....I am going to blow that time out of the water next time!! Yup next year the celebrations will happen after the race! haha

I hope you rock it this weekend man! Already looking forward to hearing all about it!

Howard

2013-08-15 9:48 AM

Bartlett, TN
Subject: Great Race Howard!
Howard--I was thinking about you all last Sunday. You did a great race. Sorry about the pre-race day issue. I know I would have been frustrated; just when your body needs to be loaded up with fluids. You got your main goal accomplished (completed the Olympic) and came close to your secondary goal of under 3 hours even with the bump in the road.

I still haven't learned how my training paces should match up to my race paces for each sport and the various distances.

The good news is that we will head into winter and next season in a much better position than we were in last year.

My daughter and I are planning another sprint race in October so I am trying to train at the Olympic level until then. The race is just outside Hattiesburg, Mississippi, which is closer to the Gulf coast. It will be .33 miles/16 miles/3 miles. For my age group, I seem to be a little above average for swim and run but way below for bike; why do all these races cut the swim and runs so much but not so much for the bike? I have been upping my bike workouts and will continue to do so but I have to tradeoff from running because my legs need some recovery every now and then.

David
2013-08-19 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Great Race Howard!

First HIM is in the books!  I had a terrific day and enjoyed the heck out of it...

RR is here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=498435&posts=1#M4833297 

Woot!

Matt

2013-08-19 5:11 PM

Bartlett, TN
Subject: ---
Way to go Matt. Very good work and very good results!
2013-08-19 7:33 PM

User image

East of the Rockies
Subject: RE: Great Race Matt!
Hey Matt totally enjoyed reading your RR! Fantastic performance! Loved how you were able to stay cool and "smile" throughout the race! A hearty congratulations man! VERY cool! WOOT WOOT!
Howard
2013-08-20 3:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
MATT Awesome RACE!!! Enjoyed the RR and sounds like you had a blast which is top priority. I am just as competitive as the person next to me, but no shame in smiling on course or throwing some encouraging words to a fellow athlete who is doing a great job. Had this happen to me this weekend as well. Me and the eventual winner came out of the swim side by side and finished the bike side by side and he destroyed me on the run. When we reach a point of the run where we passed eachother going seperate ways I congratulated him and said great running, he didn't break his stare. Oh well. Congrats on the race again!

My RR is up on my blog, check it out. Was going for the repeat, but my run is what hurt me.

2013-08-20 5:03 PM

User image

East of the Rockies
Awesome race Jason! Once again I am amazed at how you guys can push yourselves to amazing limits and crazy race times! Congratulations!

Howard
2013-10-30 4:40 PM

User image

, Washington
Looks like you all had a great racing season! It's been a long time since I stopped in. Managed to complete 2 olympic distance events this past season before falling off the training wagon. I really enjoyed the races! Been mostly swimming, but am ready to get back into SBR mode, so had to take a look at what you all have been up to for motivation. I know, my timing is bad... the season just ended. However, I just signed up for the 2014 Lake Stevens 70.3, so I have a fair amount of work ahead of me for the next 42 weeks.

I'm planning to train using a heart rate monitor (vs. RPE), so if anyone has any words of wisdom for someone new to this, send them my way. Thanks!

-Nat
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Swimmer's Group (Olympic Distance Animals) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 11