BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-05-05 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4728120

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group Open
Howaussie - 2013-05-06 2:09 AM

Hi Steve

I am a gray guy in every sense. I would be thrilled if I could join the group. This is my second year of triathlon, having only done one tri last year. I got the bug and have signed up for 5 this year. I am a middle of the pack athlete, enjoy the challenge and camaraderie from participating in sports.  I have done four half marathons and a number of adventure races. My claim to fame was an expedition adventure race, 77 hours with only 75 mins sleep.  I am an active bike rider, riding mountain, road, and occasional touring but not racing, run for enjoyment and fitness and am frantically trying to learn to swim properly. I was a state champion windsurfer (in Australia) for three years in a row, many years ago, but there was not a lot a swimming involved in windsurfing or surfing, and you kept your head out of the water. You can see my challenge now. As I read that I am reminded of a T-shirt I saw that said "The older I get, the better I was."

I am married to a beautiful and supportive friend who joins me, sometimes, on the bike and running. We have 4 children, and 7 grandchildren spread across the northern and southern hemisphere.  My wife is American and I am Australian, we live in the mid-west. We both work in education, she is a principal and I am a consultant.

My main exercise companion is a lively border collie. The border collie stare is a great motivator and guilt tripper.

Thanks

Les

Hi Les--Welcome to the Gray guy/girl gang.  Glad to have you join us.

2013-05-05 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4727899

User image

Regular
JREDFLY - 2013-05-05 8:29 PM

Ran 13.1 for the first time yesterday and felt really good (Hooray!!!). Last Saturday  I ran 11 miles keeping my heart rate between 135 bpm to 140 bpm which had me averaging around a 12 minute mile. Yesterday I was going to do the same but my friend who is an accomplished runner asked  me to try the following;. take it easy for the first 3 miles then kick it up a little bit to about to 8 mile mark then kick it higher the last 5 miles of my run . Well I kept my heart rate at 135 for the first 3 miles which averaged my regular 12 minute mile. At the end of the mile 3 mark I picked it up to 140-150 bpm pace at about a 11 minute pace and felt good. On the way back in after mile 8 I kicked the heart rate up to 160 and was running 10 minute miles feeling really good but was a little apprehensive that I wouldn't have enough gas in the tank to make it home. Well I started to get a bit winded at mile 12 and as well I should have because I noticed I had pushed my heart rate up to 180 bpm which I have never seen before on my monitor but after regaining my wind I finished the last half mile kind of strong with a time of 2:25. I was very please with this especially because my lower outside of my left knee felt perfectly fine. I have been having some pain there while on my runs the last couple of weeks but usually run through it.

Anyway that brings me to Sunday, so this morning I was going to go out and do an easy 5 but bang as soon as I started there was the pain in my lower outside left knee joint but this time I was actually limping. I kept running thinking I could run through it. I did three miles and said this is stupid , I need to rest this. From doing some online research I believe it is just inflammation where a tendon is attaché to the tibia. They say rest and ice if that doesn't work a cortisone shot. Just really stinks when I have come this far. FYI I was actually up to 30 mile per week but because of the new job I have only been able to put in 20. I am thinking I really need a days rest after a long run but if I don't run on  Sundays that really brings my weekly total down even more. Right now I am swimming Monday, Wednesday Fridays mornings because that is my master class schedule and run Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (long run) and Sunday. I have been doing spin class on Tuesday night and trying to do some light bike rides on Sunday also. I have my first half marathon in 3 weeks so any advice on how to rest this knee and keep adequately trained would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Oh and sorry if this was little long winded but this knee thing is very frustrating. Cry 

Hey James--sorry to hear about the knee problem.  As a long time runner, I can empathize because I've been there.  What I've experienced over the years is nearly all my running injuries start with either significant changes in training pace (muscles/tendons used in different ways to run faster) and/or major changes in daily or weekly volume. Pushing the pace may not have been all that helpful. 

I'm sure you'll get plenty of good medical advice, but on the occasions where I've had knee issues I've been pretty aggressive about icing (3-4 times a day for 20 minutes) and Ibuprophen for inflammation.  The last time I had what sounds like a similar problem my orthapedist  had me on 800 mg. for times a day for a week plus an icing regimen.  I've spend plenty of time sitting on the sofa with a bag of frozen peas wrapped to my knee.

I would encourage you to think about taking some time off from running for a few days.  The fact is, if you've run even 10 miles in training (which you have), you can crank out the half marathon on race day.  You might have to back off your hoped for pace a bit but you'll finish.  You almost certainly won't finish if you're injured.  IMO better to take a little extra time to get your knee right than sacrifice your race for a few more training sessions that will only marginally add to your fitness level for a race that is three weeks away.  In theory you can bike or swim more if you want to keep working your cardio levels.

I'm also really curious about the HR levels you listed.  We're close to the same age--I'm 57 so our max heart rates ought to be close--and it's almost impossible for me to get my HR to even 170.  Typically, if I'm just easy running for a long, training run (about 8:15 pace for me) I'll be under 140.  If I'm racing, I'll be in the upper 150's or possibly low 160's to maintain a 6:30-6:45 pace.  But if I'm seeing 163+ I can actually feel the lactic acid building in my legs and I won't be able to stay at that pace level for more than a few miles. I can hit 168 out at the track for interval training (6:00 pace) but only in short bursts with full recovery. 

So, I'm curious because the HR's you list seem high relative to the paces your running...and the 180 you recorded (at least for me) would have me stopped by the side of the road--hands on knees--after only a few minutes.

Hang in there.  Your half marathon goal isn't out yet. 

2013-05-05 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4724413

User image

New user
I swam today because it is raining outside and has been raining all weekend. Ran outside in the rain yesterday, but my knees like a day off between runs, so could only swim today.  Now I am going to try to write a bio as part of this group.  Just hope it doesn't bore everyone that reads it. 
2013-05-05 6:43 PM

Hi Steve

I am 54 yrs old and this is my second year in triathlons, i did 2 sprints last year and 1 half - that was more of a bucket list as i just managed to complete it. I enjoy the sprint /  olympic distance events so I'm going to stick with them for the next few years. So I would like to join this group to learn how to become a better triathlete.  I train 8 - 10 hours a week in all disciplines - my trouble is I use no real plan even though I have books with plans - I also hit the gym 3 times a week for a full body workout.  I think the problem with me is I enjoy the training more than the racing - I haven't learned how to increase the intensity for races yet. So with your help I can become a faster triathlete -  

2013 Races

Sprint Duathalon - May

Sprint Triathlon - July

Sprint Triathlon  - August

Olympic Triathlon - September

Don

2013-05-05 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4728131

User image

New user

Michigan

Hi Norma

I was born in Perth, a beautiful city but a long way away. As far as being slow at tri's, I have only done one and they were packing up as I finished. Oh well, I guess that is how it is.

Sounds like you are a good swimmer, something I wish I was.  Off to the pool tomorrow morning at 5:30am to see if I can get it together.

Cheers

Les

2013-05-05 8:32 PM

User image

New user

Steve,

This is going to be a great group.  I already appreciate your knowledge and experience in the post.  Here is my Bio to help the group know a little about me, me, me.

Name:  Kay Ewing

HISTORY:  When I  turned 45 I decided to sign up for a local triatholon because it was something I had always wanted to do.  It turned out to be "my thing" and I have been participating in them for eight years.  Over the years I have done many sprints, several olympic distance TRI's, three halfs, and one full.   The only coaching I have received is in swimming and probably could use some training guidance in other areas.  So thought I would start by joining a mentors group this year and maybe next year try to find a coach.  ALREADY found Steve's knowledge regarding rest and recovery to be solid, so this is a step in the right direction.

FAMILY STATUS:  My greatest supporter is my husband.  We have been married for 32 years and have 2 grown children. 

FUNNIEST TRI MOMENT:  Losing a shoe on the run when I stepped in some mud and finishing with one shoe on and one off. 

LONGEST TRANSITION:  Six minutes between the bike and run during a sprint.  I could not get my helmet unclipped because it was clipped at a funny angle.  I finally started the run with my helmet on and then an official helped me remove it. 

HAPPIEST TRI MOMENTS:  When I pass a young person on the bike and hear "You are really 50?" or last year when I was the overall female winner of a local sprint at age 52.

SADDIEST TRI MOMENT:  When I did not finish the run at Ironman Louisville.  It was hot and I picked the wrong day to have a bad day.  I logged my training on BT in 2010 and if anyone wants to see how NOT to train for a full, I am willing to share.

OVERALL TRI GOALS:  Still participating in TRIs long enough to write 60 on my calf.

2013 RACES:  Several swim events because I joined a masters swim team this year thus gaining a coach.

Triathlons:  (Definate Races)Lakewood Valley Sprint June 8 and TRI for HOPE at the end of August.  LOOKING for a race in early August.    

Cycling:  13 mile Time Trial races in May and June sponsored by the River City Racing Team. 

2013-05-05 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4727899

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
JREDFLY - 2013-05-05 10:29 AM

Anyway that brings me to Sunday, so this morning I was going to go out and do an easy 5 but bang as soon as I started there was the pain in my lower outside left knee joint but this time I was actually limping. I kept running thinking I could run through it. I did three miles and said this is stupid , I need to rest this. From doing some online research I believe it is just inflammation where a tendon is attaché to the tibia. They say rest and ice if that doesn't work a cortisone shot. Just really stinks when I have come this far. FYI I was actually up to 30 mile per week but because of the new job I have only been able to put in 20. I am thinking I really need a days rest after a long run but if I don't run on  Sundays that really brings my weekly total down even more. Right now I am swimming Monday, Wednesday Fridays mornings because that is my master class schedule and run Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday (long run) and Sunday. I have been doing spin class on Tuesday night and trying to do some light bike rides on Sunday also. I have my first half marathon in 3 weeks so any advice on how to rest this knee and keep adequately trained would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Oh and sorry if this was little long winded but this knee thing is very frustrating. Cry 

All I can say is wow, you ran 13.1 yesterday and wanted to run again today.  Maybe too much on the knee.  Anyway, this is probably an obvious question, but do you wear a brace on that knee when you run?  I fell a few months back right onto my right knee.  I had to wear a brace everytime I ran to give it some support because it would hurt if I didn't.  I just wear one of those braces that fit right under the knee cap.

2013-05-05 9:24 PM
in reply to: #4728367

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Howaussie - 2013-05-05 8:09 PM

Hi Norma

I was born in Perth, a beautiful city but a long way away. As far as being slow at tri's, I have only done one and they were packing up as I finished. Oh well, I guess that is how it is.

Sounds like you are a good swimmer, something I wish I was.  Off to the pool tomorrow morning at 5:30am to see if I can get it together.

Cheers

Les

[/QUOTE/]

How long have you been in America?  Do you miss Australia?  I don't know that I am fast.  I am self taught and would like to shave some minutes off my time.  I thought all Australians were good swimmers seeing ya'll live mostly on the coasts!  lol

2013-05-05 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4727675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
lutzman - 2013-05-04 11:21 PM

What's your training plan for Sunday?  Post 'em up!

Steve

Thank you for the challenge!  I almost did nothing because I felt tired.  But decided to go out riding and completed over 19 miles.  Made me feel better actually!  Yesterday was a 45 minute swim so I feel good about the weekend.

2013-05-05 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4728401

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Kay Ewing - 2013-05-05 8:32 PM

Steve,

This is going to be a great group.  I already appreciate your knowledge and experience in the post.  Here is my Bio to help the group know a little about me, me, me.

HISTORY:  When I  turned 45 I decided to sign up for a local triatholon because it was something I had always wanted to do.  It turned out to be "my thing" and I have been participating in them for eight years.  Over the years I have done many sprints, several olympic distance TRI's, three halfs, and one full.   The only coaching I have received is in swimming and probably could use some training guidance in other areas.  So thought I would start by joining a mentors group this year and maybe next year try to find a coach.  ALREADY found Steve's knowledge regarding rest and recovery to be solid, so this is a step in the right direction.

FAMILY STATUS:  My greatest supporter is my husband.  We have been married for 32 years and have 2 grown children. 

FUNNIEST TRI MOMENT:  Losing a shoe on the run when I stepped in some mud and finishing with one shoe on and one off. 

LONGEST TRANSITION:  Six minutes between the bike and run during a sprint.  I could not get my helmet unclipped because it was clipped at a funny angle.  I finally started the run with my helmet on and then an official helped me remove it. 

HAPPIEST TRI MOMENTS:  When I pass a young person on the bike and hear "You are really 50?" or last year when I was the overall female winner of a local sprint at age 52.

SADDIEST TRI MOMENT:  When I did not finish the run at Ironman Louisville.  It was hot and I picked the wrong day to have a bad day.  I logged my training on BT in 2010 and if anyone wants to see how NOT to train for a full, I am willing to share.

OVERALL TRI GOALS:  Still participating in TRIs long enough to write 60 on my calf.

2013 RACES:  Several swim events because I joined a masters swim team this year thus gaining a coach.

Triathlons:  (Definate Races)Lakewood Valley Sprint June 8 and TRI for HOPE at the end of August.  LOOKING for a race in early August.    

Cycling:  13 mile Time Trial races in May and June sponsored by the River City Racing Team. 

Awesome!  I love the longest transition.  My longest transitions always happen around wetsuits!  Just the fact that you participated in an Ironman is inspiring.  I cannot wrap my head around that.  Maybe a HIM but not a full.

2013-05-05 9:51 PM
in reply to: #4728194

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

I hated starting my first post with an injury question but your timing was perfect - thank you so much! I am going to try and be smart about this and take your advice on taking some days off and try to rest this knee. Maybe the jump from 11 to 13 miles was too much but it was hurting me a couple of weeks before which I thought may have been caused by the uneven pitched roads up here in Massachusetts.  As for the heart rate stuff, yeah it sounded kind of weird to me too. That was the first time I pushed it wearing my new heart rate monitor (had it like two months) and I have been taking the HADD approach trying to run longer but slower for my training, heck I can run slow. Usually I just run a slow 135 bpm 12 minute mile pace and thought my max heart rate was 170, I was really surprised to see the 180. I was expecting 150 at 11 MM and 160 at 10:00 MM, anyway I think your heart rate is much lower than mine because of the capacity you have built up plus I still need to work on some weight loss which I think will help, I am currently 5'9" at 175. I'll keep an eye on it though and keep you posted. Thanks again for all the great advice.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-05-05 10:02 PM

2013-05-05 11:24 PM
in reply to: #4728401

User image

Regular
Kay Ewing - 2013-05-06 6:32 AM

Steve,

Great stuff Kay.  I'm sure your experience will provide a great addition to the group!

2013-05-05 11:33 PM
in reply to: #4728266

User image

Regular
golfmedic - 2013-05-06 4:43 AM

Hi Steve

I am 54 yrs old and this is my second year in triathlons, i did 2 sprints last year and 1 half - that was more of a bucket list as i just managed to complete it. I enjoy the sprint /  olympic distance events so I'm going to stick with them for the next few years. So I would like to join this group to learn how to become a better triathlete.  I train 8 - 10 hours a week in all disciplines - my trouble is I use no real plan even though I have books with plans - I also hit the gym 3 times a week for a full body workout.  I think the problem with me is I enjoy the training more than the racing - I haven't learned how to increase the intensity for races yet. So with your help I can become a faster triathlete -  

2013 Races

Sprint Duathalon - May

Sprint Triathlon - July

Sprint Triathlon  - August

Olympic Triathlon - September

Don

Welcome to the group Don!  

It's fine to not have a training plan.  It really depends on what your goals are for the sport.  If you're out for just the pure enjoyment of being active, training to stay fit and having fun on race day, you're already in great shape.  There's nothing wrong with that and you're already ahead of 90% of the publilc.

On the other hand, if you're looking to lower your times and be more competitive, you'll really want to get think about setting realistic personal goals and then focusing in your training to get there.  

I'd be happy to brainstorm with you. 

Steve

2013-05-06 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Hi Steve,

This looks like the group for me!  Gray (52, but 53 for age group purposes) and focused on shorter distances.  Just trying to stick with the good lifestyle.  Hope there's room.  I'll post a bio tonight after work.

Just did the Knoxville Rev3 OLY yesterday - 59 degree water and lots of rain.  Quite an experience for a "fair weather" guy like me :-)  But at least I can now say I've been in a race with Mirinda Carfrae.  She kicked my butt in case you wondered.

Thanks for starting one with a focus on graying athletes - great idea!!

Stu

2013-05-06 10:26 AM
in reply to: #4728707

User image

Regular
juneapple - 2013-05-06 5:08 PM

Hi Steve,

This looks like the group for me!  Gray (52, but 53 for age group purposes) and focused on shorter distances.  Just trying to stick with the good lifestyle.  Hope there's room.  I'll post a bio tonight after work.

Just did the Knoxville Rev3 OLY yesterday - 59 degree water and lots of rain.  Quite an experience for a "fair weather" guy like me :-)  But at least I can now say I've been in a race with Mirinda Carfrae.  She kicked my butt in case you wondered.

Thanks for starting one with a focus on graying athletes - great idea!!

Stu

Hey Stu--Congrats on completing the Rev 3 yesterday!  Early season races can be a real test of courage and determination.  Hopefully, the race treated you well.

I did a race in Napa last April that was similar...59 degree water and 44 degree air temp at the start.  I seriously almost stayed in the rental car.  It was pretty challenging. 

I'll look forward to seeing your bio!

Best regards,

Steve

2013-05-06 10:31 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: It's Monday!

Monday workout--

Not much.  Pretty tired from the running/biking long over the weekend.  I've got business travel later this week, so my schedule will be screwed up for the next week.  Hence, Mondays are normally a day for total rest for me...not this week.

Morning--swim lesson with coach focusing on efficiency speed, light distance.  400 warm up, 3 X 50 hard with paddles, then a new set of 100 hard, 50 (25 EZ, 25 hard) and 200 hard.  The intervals start on 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30.

Indoor trainer on the bike (50-55 minutes).  Afternoon at the gym for weight training.

Happy Monday! 

2013-05-06 12:16 PM
in reply to: #4726613

User image

Regular
Newport News

Thanks Steve.

My goals are to keep  from getting injured while improving  my standing within my age group.   I'm seeing a doctor  this afternoon a  a sport injury clinic they are have  at the wellness center I belong to.  Should have a idea if I can start some running again.

Did the Nanticoke River Swim on Sunday the bay was angry strong tide with high winds 2ft+ waves with white caps and water temperature in the low 60s.  They cut the  last mile off the race while the swimmers  were out.  Several folks were pulled from the water,  but I finished the 2 miles in a slow  1:31:07.  You all should be able to access my race report at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... title="Nanticoke River swim" src="/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=148028&thumb=y" alt="out of the water" width="112" height="150" />

2013-05-06 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4729184

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Strength training this morning then one of my classes tonight. Question - how do you fuel for your races? I have a problem with it. I know I should drink something on the bike, but I just want to go so wait until the run. I tried Honey Stinger and their orange blossom chews, but both made me a little nauseous.
2013-05-06 1:25 PM
in reply to: #4729491

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
tkatzhyman - 2013-05-06 12:16 PM

Thanks Steve.

My goals are to keep  from getting injured while improving  my standing within my age group.   I'm seeing a doctor  this afternoon a  a sport injury clinic they are have  at the wellness center I belong to.  Should have a idea if I can start some running again.

Did the Nanticoke River Swim on Sunday the bay was angry strong tide with high winds 2ft+ waves with white caps and water temperature in the low 60s.  They cut the  last mile off the race while the swimmers  were out.  Several folks were pulled from the water,  but I finished the 2 miles in a slow  1:31:07.  You all should be able to access my race report at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... title="Nanticoke River swim" src="/discussion/photos/get-photo.asp?photoid=148028&thumb=y" alt="out of the water" width="112" height="150" />

Congratulations! Sounds very challenging to say the least! Wish I were that slow. Lol!
2013-05-06 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4729678

User image

Regular

luv2bhealthy - 2013-05-06 11:19 PM Strength training this morning then one of my classes tonight. Question - how do you fuel for your races? I have a problem with it. I know I should drink something on the bike, but I just want to go so wait until the run. I tried Honey Stinger and their orange blossom chews, but both made me a little nauseous.

Norma:

Fueling isn't as big a deal for me since I'm only doing sprint and Olympic distance. I'll usually eat breakfast (light oatmeal/banana/oj) at least two hours before the start and then suck a gel about 15 minutes before the swim start.  On a sprint race, I don't worry about eating at all...just go as fast as I possibly can.  On an Olympic, I'll try to eat a gel or some gel blocks while I'm on the bike...and whatever liquid is on my bike has calories, too.  For a race of 2.5 hours that's usually plenty, at least for me.  I don't have any experience with longer Triathlon events.

I added a Profile Design aero bottle, which I love.  It's that aero bottle that goes right between the aero bars on your bike with a straw that sticks up.  I found that I hated trying to pull out a water bottle from the downtube frame-cage while racing so I just didn't do it.  But with the Profile Design aero bottle the straw sticks up right in my face.  I find with this design I'm able to drink easily/often and as a result I get a more liquid/calories in during a race than what I was doing before.  It works for me.

Kay Ewing in our mentor group has done some longer events....she might have some suggestions, too.

2013-05-06 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4729491

User image

Regular
tkatzhyman - 2013-05-06 10:16 PM

Thanks Steve.

Wow...tip of the hat to you for completing this race in these conditions.  I'll bet a bunch of people looked at the conditions and just walked away!

2013-05-06 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4730094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
lutzman - 2013-05-06 4:29 PM

luv2bhealthy - 2013-05-06 11:19 PM Strength training this morning then one of my classes tonight. Question - how do you fuel for your races? I have a problem with it. I know I should drink something on the bike, but I just want to go so wait until the run. I tried Honey Stinger and their orange blossom chews, but both made me a little nauseous.

Norma:

Fueling isn't as big a deal for me since I'm only doing sprint and Olympic distance. I'll usually eat breakfast (light oatmeal/banana/oj) at least two hours before the start and then suck a gel about 15 minutes before the swim start.  On a sprint race, I don't worry about eating at all...just go as fast as I possibly can.  On an Olympic, I'll try to eat a gel or some gel blocks while I'm on the bike...and whatever liquid is on my bike has calories, too.  For a race of 2.5 hours that's usually plenty, at least for me.  I don't have any experience with longer Triathlon events.

I added a Profile Design aero bottle, which I love.  It's that aero bottle that goes right between the aero bars on your bike with a straw that sticks up.  I found that I hated trying to pull out a water bottle from the downtube frame-cage while racing so I just didn't do it.  But with the Profile Design aero bottle the straw sticks up right in my face.  I find with this design I'm able to drink easily/often and as a result I get a more liquid/calories in during a race than what I was doing before.  It works for me.

Kay Ewing in our mentor group has done some longer events....she might have some suggestions, too.

I don't do longer events either. It's taking the bottle from the cage on the bike that's the problem. In my first sprint tri ever last year which had an oly bike distance, within 5 miles of the start, I dropped my bottle on the road so I was without fuel. And I hasn't eaten properly that morning because it was so early. For my first oly last weekend, I had a bottle with my performance drink in it but never reached for it until transition. So I guess I need to look into an aero drinker. Do they work on road bikes, too?
2013-05-06 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4730204

User image

Regular

I don't do longer events either. It's taking the bottle from the cage on the bike that's the problem. In my first sprint tri ever last year which had an oly bike distance, within 5 miles of the start, I dropped my bottle on the road so I was without fuel. And I hasn't eaten properly that morning because it was so early. For my first oly last weekend, I had a bottle with my performance drink in it but never reached for it until transition. So I guess I need to look into an aero drinker. Do they work on road bikes, too?

I'm not sure on whether they make a road bike version....I would think so.  Your LBS or Tri shop could give you some ideas, too.  I bought my system at a local triathlon when there were vendors selling the goods and they were right there to tell me how to install it.  So, another option is to check out the vendor tents at your next event.

The website can be found here; http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/hydration

Edited by lutzman 2013-05-06 7:25 PM
2013-05-06 9:45 PM

User image

Expert

Here's my bio.  Looking forward to trading Geritol tips...

Name:  JuneApple / Stu

Stu's Story:  High school swimmer, biked a bunch in college, but never ran.  After leading a fairly sedentary lifestyle during my 30s and early 40s, I found myself at mid-life under a bunch of stress and 50 lbs overweight.  So I decided to change some priorities, starting with health and fitness.  I started running a bit (I was really slow) and worked my way up to a half-marathon and my first triathlon (sprint) 5 years ago.  Had two solid seasons in 2010 and 2011, including lots of personal bests (yes, even over age 50!), but slipped some in 2012.  Not a disaster, but fell short on most goals and didn't have the motivation I had in years past.  Running remains my challenge, especially coming at the end of the race.  However, I'm very thankful for the role triathlons have played in my day to day life, and like training for multiple disciplines.  I'm especially appreciative of BT and the mentor groups (also FYI, I mentored a group during 2011 and enjoyed it). 

Family Status:  Married for 30 years with daughter in college.  My wife is supportive of my tri habits, while not understanding its appeal :-)

Current Training:  Been doing okay with running and swimming, but not getting in enough biking.  The weather hasn't been conducive to outdoor training, and I really would prefer to enjoy the training.  Running on a treadmill or long indoor bike rides just don't appeal to me when there's such lovely places to train outside.

2012 Races:  1 sprint, 2 olympics and some local running races of various distances.  I'm generally a MoPer (middle of the packer), but every now and then have a good race with a less experienced field.  Accidents do happen.

2013 Races:  Plan to focus on Olympic length this year (just finished 1st one!) and try to figure out how not to implode on the run.  I've done a HIM and a marathon and I can't say I have any overwhelming drive to attempt an IM.  Not even sure I'll do an HIM again.  I'd like to get "good" at the Olympic distance.  At age 53, I really would just like to remain relatively healthy and injury free, using triathlons as motivation to do so.  I'd also like to maybe do some swim only races.

Weightloss:  2012 was not good on this front, but have made some progress since Jan 1.  Am down to around 202 from 210 in Jan, but that is still about 12 lbs over race weight. 

What will make me a good member:  I used to be good at keeping up with the group and posting, but work has slammed me this year.  Hoping to regain my footing around June 1.   Have to say I really like the idea of being in a group of 45+ers.  

2013-05-06 10:08 PM

User image

Expert

So Hey Everyone!

At least we don't have to apologize for not being able to remember names :-)

Tsvi - I see you're coming to C'ville for the Chris Greene Lake swim.  I plan on doing that this year as well, so I look forward to seeing you there.  Great job on your recent swim.  I guess I'll stop complaining about my dunk yesterday in the Tennessee River.

Rick - are you a Hoo?  Amazing weight loss. 

Hi Norma, Linda, B2run, James, Les, Don - look forward to virtually training with y'all!

Kay, I think I broke your record of the longest transition yesterday.  But I do have a helmet tale as well - my first OLY, I forgot to put my helmet on.  I was 3 miles down the road before I realized it.  I was Dairy Queened. 

Anyway, speaking of transitions, I had quite an adventure in Knoxville yesterday.  You can see the details in all their glory below. 

Knoxville Rev3 Race Report

Happy training everyone!

Stu

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37