2013-12-07 8:33 PM
in reply to: GregDufour

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open
Originally posted by GregDufour

Can I join?

Hi Greg, we've been a bit quiet lately but by all means tell us a bit about yourself - goals, limitations, etc. Just to let us get to know you and then start asking questions about anything you're not sure of - with regards to Triathlons. We seem to have a pretty supportive group here.

You should also start a log of your workouts here.
2013-12-08 7:26 AM
in reply to: #4909293

User image

windsor, Ontario
Sounds good. I'll do up a profile tonight.
2013-12-09 2:51 AM
in reply to: DaDooRunRun

User image

windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers
NAME: Greg

STORY: Well, I'm 31 years old, living in Windsor Ontario. I used to be a very good runner and athlete. Then I graduated university, got a job, gf and VERY LAZY. Ballooned up to 321 pounds. I was getting winded walking up the stairs, so I decided to make a change. I wanted to try something new, but something different from anything my friends were doing. Soooo I decided to train for a Triathlon. Been training since November 4th, 2013. Been greatly enjoying it. My 2014 goal is to complete 2 Triathlon's, along with some 5-10km runs.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, but I have a girlfriend. My father died of a heart attack at age 51 when I was 22 years old and his father died from the same thing at age 50. Mother walks everyday, and is in great health.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I train 5 days a week with Wednesday and Sunday off. I got my running back up to snuff quickly, so I'm really focusing on breathing during my swimming and developing stamina on the bike. Haven't ridden a bike since I was 10, so I'm just using an exercise bike because of the weather outside. Going to have to purchase a bike in the spring. Going to introduce weight training in the new year. I work 96 hours over two weeks, plus I have a gf so time in precious for me.

2014 Races: Well I'm doing a 5km run Feb.22 and a 5km run on March.2nd so far. I have many more in my sights.

WEIGHTLOSS: Starting weight Nov.4th: 321, Current weight: 304. 17 pounds in a month! Pretty excited.
2013-12-09 8:32 AM

User image

STORY: Well, I'm 31 years old, living in Windsor Ontario. I used to be a very good runner and athlete. Then I graduated university, got a job, gf and VERY LAZY. Ballooned up to 321 pounds. I was getting winded walking up the stairs, so I decided to make a change. I wanted to try something new, but something different from anything my friends were doing. Soooo I decided to train for a Triathlon. Been training since November 4th, 2013. Been greatly enjoying it. My 2014 goal is to complete 2 Triathlon's, along with some 5-10km runs.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, but I have a girlfriend. My father died of a heart attack at age 51 when I was 22 years old and his father died from the same thing at age 50. Mother walks everyday, and is in great health.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently I train 5 days a week with Wednesday and Sunday off. I got my running back up to snuff quickly, so I'm really focusing on breathing during my swimming and developing stamina on the bike. Haven't ridden a bike since I was 10, so I'm just using an exercise bike because of the weather outside. Going to have to purchase a bike in the spring. Going to introduce weight training in the new year. I work 96 hours over two weeks, plus I have a gf so time in precious for me.

2014 Races: Well I'm doing a 5km run Feb.22 and a 5km run on March.2nd so far. I have many more in my sights.

WEIGHTLOSS: Starting weight Nov.4th: 321, Current weight: 304. 17 pounds in a month! Pretty excited.

Welcome! Sounds like have plenty of motivation to get working. I'll be excited to see your progress. That's a pretty intense shift in your level of activity after a time off and some significant weight gain. How are you feeling so far? Consulting a doctor, trainer, and nutritionist might really support your efforts, too. Glad to have you. (BTW, I love the photo -- I know he's a famous pugilist, but I forget his name).
2013-12-09 9:01 AM
in reply to: PsyTri

User image

Pearland,Tx
Guys/Gals

For a great finish of our Group Sarah Did Well at IM Cozumel

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/coverage/athlete-tracker.aspx?race...

Congrats Sarah

Cheers!!!

Carl

2013-12-09 10:50 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Gary

Quick question hows the weather on Orlando,Fl around 2nd week. Jan,12 to be specific.?

Thanks

2013-12-09 11:30 PM

User image

windsor, Ontario
Originally posted by PsyTri

Welcome! Sounds like have plenty of motivation to get working. I'll be excited to see your progress. That's a pretty intense shift in your level of activity after a time off and some significant weight gain. How are you feeling so far? Consulting a doctor, trainer, and nutritionist might really support your efforts, too. Glad to have you. (BTW, I love the photo -- I know he's a famous pugilist, but I forget his name).

Spoke to a trainer, wasn't very useful. didn't really know a lot about Triathlons, but from doing my own research I seem to be on the right track. Feeling pretty good so far. Hurt my calf a bit jumping rope, but it healed quick. I think maybe I'm still too heavy to be doing that. I used to box and I love skipping. I'm pretty motivated, and the fact that I've told everyone I know that I'm doing a Triathlon in the summer is all the motivation I need. Lol don't want to look stupid.

Oh and the boxer is John.L.Sullivan.
2013-12-10 2:18 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Originally posted by strykergt

Gary

Quick question hows the weather on Orlando,Fl around 2nd week. Jan,12 to be specific.?

Thanks

That's a few hours north of me, but I'd guess it's pretty nice. Depends on whether there's a "cold snap", but in general, I'd guess between the mid-60's and the high-70's. You might have better luck consulting the Farmer's Almanac!!! Wondering for the Disney Marathon?
2013-12-12 3:01 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Originally posted by strykergt

Gary

Thanks

That's a few hours north of me, but I'd guess it's pretty nice. Depends on whether there's a "cold snap", but in general, I'd guess between the mid-60's and the high-70's. You might have better luck consulting the Farmer's Almanac!!! Wondering for the Disney Marathon?

Yeah man been a long while for a family vacation , we thought to bring my 5 year old and have fun running too.
2013-12-13 8:45 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Yeah man been a long while for a family vacation , we thought to bring my 5 year old and have fun running too.

That should be a lot of fun. You running alone?

2013-12-14 7:40 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx

That should be a lot of fun. You running alone?

yup just get myself amused by the costumed runners and cirlcle runners with selfies . I am told in advance this is not a PR run.
2013-12-14 2:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Completed my biathlon this morning. 1000 yd pool swim, then a 5k. Need to get faster in the pool swam at 1:51/100 pace. Transition :48. 7:41/mile pace on the 5k. The slow swim time accounted for my low overall place at 14 out of 23 (I know, it was a VERY small local race). However, if you subtract out the swim time, I placed 3rd overall. Was a good challenge and fun.

Edited by PsyTri 2013-12-14 2:50 PM
2013-12-14 8:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Completed my biathlon this morning. 1000 yd pool swim, then a 5k. Need to get faster in the pool swam at 1:51/100 pace. Transition :48. 7:41/mile pace on the 5k. The slow swim time accounted for my low overall place at 14 out of 23 (I know, it was a VERY small local race). However, if you subtract out the swim time, I placed 3rd overall. Was a good challenge and fun.

I'm not too familiar with yardage but I think my best swim this year was 1:53/100yds so you're already faster than me and you will get faster. Consider it a pretty good start. Your run was pretty amazing and 3rd overall even for this small a group is not shabby either. Sounds like an all round good time. If they have this race again next year it will be a great way to gauge your improvement over the next 12 months.

I had a 90 minute cycling session today that was pretty intense. I spent more than half the session in zone 4. My bike computer said I burned 1002 calories. I'm not sure how accurate the computer is but it is set up correctly for my age and weight.
2013-12-14 8:36 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx

Good Job on the Aquathlon!!!!
2013-12-14 9:12 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Nice race! There must have have been some super fast swimmers there.

2013-12-15 8:35 PM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Crazy fast swimmers. Winner was out of the pool in under 12 minutes, and there were a large handful who finished in under 15.
2013-12-16 10:15 AM

User image

Here are the mid-December stats and some highlights. Lookin good, H's & M's, looking good!

Look at SmallTriGirl jumping right into the mix, putting up some seriously solid numbers. Way to go!

Strykergt staying on the top of the heap (by a thread) -- TRIal_of_miles nipping at his heels to regain top overall position but still king of the pool. The next two weeks will be VERY interesting.

Sarah: we'd love to hear from you. Hope your IM went well.

Ransick - A public congrats on meeting your 2013 goal early: 1,000 miles running! Phenomenal. You've got a couple of runners on your heels (Strykergt & I are in the hunt)!

wenceslasz and Fresno_Joe posting some nice numbers yourselves. danywilliams83 is starting to rev his motor. I'm predicting a surge by the end of the year.

Keep up the good work.

Attachments
----------------
HMDec2013Mid.xls (13KB - 14 downloads)
2013-12-16 11:00 AM

User image

Sorry I'm late but congrats on your podium! Also thanks again for the monthly stats.
2013-12-17 10:16 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Here are the mid-December stats and some highlights. Lookin good, H's & M's, looking good!

Look at SmallTriGirl jumping right into the mix, putting up some seriously solid numbers. Way to go!

Strykergt staying on the top of the heap (by a thread) -- TRIal_of_miles nipping at his heels to regain top overall position but still king of the pool. The next two weeks will be VERY interesting.

Ransick - A public congrats on meeting your 2013 goal early: 1,000 miles running! Phenomenal. You've got a couple of runners on your heels (Strykergt & I are in the hunt)!

wenceslasz and Fresno_Joe posting some nice numbers yourselves. danywilliams83 is starting to rev his motor. I'm predicting a surge by the end of the year.

Keep up the good work.

Hey thanks! Looks like I'm going to cap off my year with my only "race" of the year. A last man standing trail ultra. At the top of each hour we take off and run a 4.1 mile loop. If you don't toe the line, you are out. I'm in it for fun. I know a few runners will be running 40+ miles and I won't be one of them. My goal is to run 20 miles which will be my longest run yet.
2013-12-17 11:30 PM
in reply to: Sarah73

User image

windsor, Ontario
Weight loss is going fantastic. Started at 321 Nov.4th and now down to 299.5 Dec.15. Got my running back up to 5km a training sessions and I could probably go further, but I don't want to over do it. My swim is coming around as I'm trying some new breathing techniques, and my bike is up to 50 minutes a session. Can't wait to start strength training in the New Year!

2013-12-18 8:16 AM
in reply to: ransick

User image

Originally posted by ransick

Keep up the good work.

Hey thanks! Looks like I'm going to cap off my year with my only "race" of the year. A last man standing trail ultra. At the top of each hour we take off and run a 4.1 mile loop. If you don't toe the line, you are out. I'm in it for fun. I know a few runners will be running 40+ miles and I won't be one of them. My goal is to run 20 miles which will be my longest run yet.

You need your own personal massage therapist at the finish line! What's your target pace? How tough are the trails? 20 miles will be amazing. Let us know how it goes. Would love to read that RR! Very different. Very cool. So much for passing you in December!
2013-12-18 2:16 PM

User image

Weight loss is going fantastic. Started at 321 Nov.4th and now down to 299.5 Dec.15. Got my running back up to 5km a training sessions and I could probably go further, but I don't want to over do it. My swim is coming around as I'm trying some new breathing techniques, and my bike is up to 50 minutes a session. Can't wait to start strength training in the New Year!

You are building up some momentum. Sounds like you are progressing nicely. Keep up the good work.
2013-12-18 4:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Excellent progress Greg. Out of curiosity (if you don't mind) how fast are you running or cycling and how far are you comfortable swimming?

Ransick - I agree with PsyTri - I'm looking forward to hearing how you race goes.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-12-18 4:15 PM
2013-12-18 8:27 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Originally posted by ransick

Keep up the good work.

You need your own personal massage therapist at the finish line! What's your target pace? How tough are the trails? 20 miles will be amazing. Let us know how it goes. Would love to read that RR! Very different. Very cool. So much for passing you in December!

The trails aren't very tough elevation wise, they are twisty with enough roots that I usually fall a couple times a year. No pace goal, I want to go slow enough to keep my hr low enough that I can eat between laps. I'll let you all know how it goes.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Open Rss Feed  

of 41